Scrambler X handling

gabriel_gs

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So I test rode a Scrambler X with the knobbly tyres

In a straight line, I loved it.

Drop into a corner however and it scared the sh*t out of me!

Is that just the knobbly tyres? Anyone tested a scrambler with both knobbly and street tyres to be able to comment on the comparison?

I really loved the bike, but cornering just felt... dangerous.

I've been riding for 20 years on a range of over 20 bikes, so I'm not shy of a corner, but I genuinely felt unsafe on the scrambler with those knobblies

I know the 'stiff' steering damper doesn't help the handling either...

I'm used to the handling now but I did deliberately spec the bike with ASC in anticipation of some on road slippage :D

I've never ridden a Scrambler with road tyres but would imagine the handling is considerably improved :thumby:

It's the way it kind of 'dumps' you into the corners, I just felt I was gonna end up on the tarmac!

It's definitely WAY heavier to steer than the R nineT, but then it's really a different bike I guess.

I'm very VERY tempted - alu tank option of course :)

Just need to test it with road tyres first

Good to hear.

Waiting for my local dealer to register their new demo (with road tyres!) - later this week I hope.

I have the Karoos fitted to mine - took a while to get used to but no worse than TKC80s on the GS after a few hundred miles. I did ride a Racer on road tyres last week and it did make me realise what a difference they make to the handling!

I just found the handling with the Karoos downright scary - made me feel like a novice ride again

I'll report back once I've tested on road tyres.

I've ordered mine with cast wheels and didn't specify off road tyres, so I assume mine will come with Metzeler Tourances.

So Vines got a scrambler X on demo with road tyres - night and day difference!

I was literally 'whooping' as I rode around - such fun!

I'm picking up my new Scrambler X (with road tyres!) on Saturday :)

Will try road tyres next

Mine came with knobbly tyres and after 1,000 miles I am used to them and they have slowed me down. There is so much shit on the roads and pot holes around here its like riding off road. Not used them in the rain though. I prefer the look of the knobbly.

Will try some road tyres when the knobblies wear out.

Feel the same about the Karoos. Have no problem with them now, and shall be fitting same again - mainly because bought a pair someone had taken off their bike at the first service for 99p (plus £12 carriage), so if anyone wants the going rate for replacing their Karoos just get in touch

Back
Top Bottom