New here, first GS

LBirchwood

Reaction score
Hey, hope everyones having a good Sunday evening!
Figured I'd join the forum as it seems to be a goldmine for info and meeting enthusiastic people.

I just bought my 2005 R1200GS after a test ride at the dealers. 26000 miles, FSH etc. completely standard and has the Vario side cases.
I was also considering an 07 Tiger 1050 but fell in love with the GS before I even went to view it!
I'm going to get to go pick it up on Thursday or Friday and I cant wait!
Anything I should be looking out for on my shakedown run? I was going to add a picture of the bike but cant seem to figure out how! There is almost definitely a guide on here telling me how to right? Ahh well.

Anyway, a bit about me, I'm Lewis, I'm 23 and I make beer for a living (so if I run into any of you fine people on a campsite I'll probably have something nice in my panniers for you.) I love camping and hiking, generally being outdoors.

I look forward to hearing about everyones adventures and getting any tips on living with the GS!

Cheers!
Lewis :beerjug:

Welcome mate. It's a very good forum for getting information. As you make beer, I'm sure you will be updated with camping events.

hi mate im also newish to a 2005gs...had it a few months...if it got fsh have a look for any recall work done...you want to check any info about the final drive...also if its the abs model cos they had issues.
its a great bike i love mine but im considering a hilltop remap...they do run lean and makes filtering thru traffic and slow stuff a bit of a pain...dont know what bikes youve had in the past but the boxer engne is something youll either love or hate..imo great at higher speeds..long distance touring...but a bit of a pain at local .traffic riding...a hilltop remap sorts out any running issues and smooths the engine out....
good luck...and welcome

What's the cost of a Hilltop remap and how would that affect the warranty, anyone know.

£350 if you book it in yoursef but if you do it thru here youd get a group discount and its £300.
not sure about warantee tho

Greetings & welcome to the forum....enjoy your new bike!!

Which micro/brewery do you work for?

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! Richardbd I'm sure some of you will get to sampling some at some point haha. And Bounce, it's Magic Rock Brewing in Huddersfield, we make a good mix of cask and keg beers, and they're all pretty damn good if I do say so myself.

hi mate im also newish to a 2005gs...had it a few months...if it got fsh have a look for any recall work done...you want to check any info about the final drive...also if its the abs model cos they had issues.
its a great bike i love mine but im considering a hilltop remap...they do run lean and makes filtering thru traffic and slow stuff a bit of a pain...dont know what bikes youve had in the past but the boxer engne is something youll either love or hate..imo great at higher speeds..long distance touring...but a bit of a pain at local .traffic riding...a hilltop remap sorts out any running issues and smooths the engine out....
good luck...and welcome

Cheers for the info Aeronut! It's not the ABS model so no worries there. I'll double check he service history against the recalls and make sure I'm all fine there.

I previously had a '98 VFR800 and that was a bit of hard work around town I found. The GS seemed no worse at low speeds on my test ride, let's see how I feel in a few weeks haha. Maybe I was just excited to get back on a bike, been a year since the VFR was stolen, like one week after insurance ended too so no coverage there.

Welcome aboard Matey.

We like people that brew beer on here :D

Good few micro breweries around here (Wrexham) which we make good use of at our beer festivals in the village.

Enjoy the bike, my first was a 2006 GS and loved it. Got the best one now which is a 1200GS twin cam :D

:fridayWelcome in Lewis, even if you don't post much (being shy like me) there's some great threads and excellent reading on here, if you have a question about anything someone will provide an answer.
Enjoy your GS matey

A Yorkshireman giving away beer??! Now THAT'S a first!! Welcome and happy GS riding :)

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! Richardbd I'm sure some of you will get to sampling some at some point haha. And Bounce, it's Magic Rock Brewing in Huddersfield, we make a good mix of cask and keg beers, and they're all pretty damn good if I do say so myself.

I live in Huddersfield and can vouch that Magic Rock beer is some of the finest you'll ever sample (Dark Arts being my favourite) if any of you tossers are in the locale then don't hesitate to nip in to the Magic Rick Taphouse.

Oh and welcome to the group Lewis, if you ever fancy a ride out the gimme a shout.

Rob.

Hey Rob! Sorry for the delayed reply! Glad you like the beer, Dark Arts is one of my favourite to brew. I might take you up on the offer for a ride out, not too familiar with the roads around here yet. I did head through Holmfirth to Strines Road then over Snake Pass the other day, that was a good laugh!

Back
Top Bottom