Comms & Ear Plugs

arealhuman

Reaction score
Hi All,

Stupid question I know - I've always ridden with earplugs but have never used a comms system on a bike. I'm hoping to get a system later in the year but wondered if wearing earplugs would sort of defeat the object in that I won't be able to hear anything whilst wearing my earpugs. Not using earplugs isn't an option for me before anyone suggests it! :D

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks.

No issues at all wearing earplugs with a comms unit. I used the 'sponge' plugs before getting some 'proper' ones and have been able to hear everything without a problem. If you follow my link at the bottom of the signature, I did a short YT vlog on the subject.

The main thing is to get the speakers properly situated within the helmet over your ears. :beerjug:

I use Alpine attenuating earplugs - there are other brands.

These allow you to adjust the amount of noise that the plugs let through, by changing the core of the plug (different size holes).

I always wear plugs and use helmet comms and I've never failed to find a working combination...

Custom moulded headphones are the best IMHO.

I have the Sena 20s with ultimateear headphones. Volume on the Sena is set at 20%, and everything is crystal clear. (The 20s unit has a 3.5mm jack for headphones built in).

Good luck which ever way you go.

Custom moulded headphones are the best IMHO.

I have the Sena 20s with ultimateear headphones. Volume on the Sena is set at 20%, and everything is crystal clear. (The 20s unit has a 3.5mm jack for headphones built in).

Good luck which ever way you go.

I use a Sena 20s also and have no problems using the intercom or listening to the sat nav whilst wearing foam ear plugs. incidentally. the other day I forgot to put in my ear plugs and was almost defended by the intercom when my pal spoke. This proves that the ear plugs do cut out a lot of noise but also that the Sena works perfectly well with ear plugs in place

I use Alpine attenuating earplugs - there are other brands.

These allow you to adjust the amount of noise that the plugs let through, by changing the core of the plug (different size holes).

I always wear plugs and use helmet comms and I've never failed to find a working combination...

I used the Alpine plugs as well, before going on to in ear custom moulded monitors. I found them to be excellent ear plugs, very comfortable.

Thanks for all the replies - it's good to know the earplugs don't defeat the point of having a comms unit! At the moment I just use foam plugs - I bought a massive lot of them years ago from an ad in a bike magazine and now I'm coming to the end of my stock, so this thread has also given me some ideas of what to use next on that front too, so thanks for that too ;-)

Thanks for all the replies - it's good to know the earplugs don't defeat the point of having a comms unit! At the moment I just use foam plugs - I bought a massive lot of them years ago from an ad in a bike magazine and now I'm coming to the end of my stock, so this thread has also given me some ideas of what to use next on that front too, so thanks for that too ;-)

I struggle a little with plugs in, can hear nav ok, but intercom a bit quiet, probably need to adjust something. But I am half death lol

No problems at all. I've got Ultimate-ear custom mould plugs. Cost £65 at the NEC bike show

http://www.ultimateear.com/

And use an Interphone F5MC

It's all down to personal choice and others will swear by theirs, but the above works well for me.

I have a Shoei Neotec and Interphone do an upgraded speaker kit which I bought. SatNav, phone, music/ radio, pillion and bike to bike are spot on, however for me I tend to mainly have it for satnav. It could well depend on how quiet/ noisy your lid is as to what quality of sound you'll receive

Those are my thoughts anyway

Cheers

Clive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I occasionally use a Scala Q3 and like you, always wear ear plugs. I've never had a problem hearing it, and its not even at full volume.
I use Moldex Spark plugs and Flare Audio Isolates ear plugs. They both block about 30ish dB of sound, but the noise that does get through the Flares is much clearer. Sounds much less like you are underwater.

I've used to use spongey ear plugs and could hear music fine as long as speakers are correctly situated but struggle with voice-over comms and always had to have the BT device up full.

I've used custom made Soundears from Ultimate Ear for the last 4-5 years and they plug straight into my Cardo Scala Q3 and it's amazeballs. Would never go back to any other ear plugs.

maxresdefault.jpg

I've used to use spongey ear plugs and could hear music fine as long as speakers are correctly situated but struggle with voice-over comms and always had to have the BT device up full.

I've used custom made Soundears from Ultimate Ear for the last 4-5 years and they plug straight into my Cardo Scala Q3 and it's amazeballs. Would never go back to any other ear plugs.

I tried a similar setup, but got fed up with the wires pulling the plugs out, do you have yours on the outside of any neckwear, or route them inside your clothing?

I put the plugs in my ears, plug the other end in the Q3 and tuck the excess cable in my jacket. Wires are pretty solidly in the moulds, it would take quite a pull to rip them out of the moulds themselves and you couldn't (shouldn't) pull the ear plug out of your by the wire. The moulds sit snugly in your ear. When I wear a buff the wires are underneath with excess cable tucked in the jacket.

I've got the same setup with UE moulder soundplugs and a Cardo Scala G9X.

They do a split cable option which gives you a short length ending in a plug and the rest becomes an extension cable. I got UE to make up a short (2") right angle 3.5mm male plug to a heavy duty female to plug the headphones into so there really isn't much spare cable left at all.

Works a treat.

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 215
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 215

Back
Top Bottom