Bike's dead in the Highlands....

snappo

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I met up with someone in Skye today, and took them for a little tour around - stopped at the Kilt Rock for some photos, and when I went to start the bike again it didn't want to play - when the key was in the 'On' position, the dash was totally blank, but when I turned it one click anticlockwise, and took the key out, the clock and mileage was displayed on the dash, along with a few ticks and clicks heard.

This happened 4 or 5 times, but eventually, after I walked it up the carpark for a bit, it decided to start, and ran fine right up to Duntulm castle. After another wander about, I went back to the bike and it fired up first go, happy days thinks I, must have just been a gremlin.

Got back to Portree and stopped for some lunch at the chippy on the Harbour, and the bike once again refused to fire up, down the same screen nonsense again.

This time, there was no convincing it, so eventually I had to give in and call for recovery back to Dornie where I'm staying. I'm really hoping it's just the battery that's died, but it's not given me hardly any warning, and I've never had that before - usually you get a bit more of a heads up that the battery is on the way out, or do the Gel batteries just drop dead on you with no warning?

The battery is either 2 or 3 years old, as I swapped it for an MOT, but I can't recall which one! - up until this past winter, the bike has always lived outside, so the battery would have had some fairly long 'cold soaks' in that period!

Jump start? If it goes good chance it's battery, if it doesn't battery ruled out.

I've got the battery off now Tony, I never thought to try and jump it. I'll try a new battery on it tomorrow from Mitchells in Inverness and see how I go.

My 650GS managed to vibrate the terminal poles loose on my moto batt battery,caused all sorts of strange symptoms, hid bulb failure for one.

My son had the symptoms you described when your bike first played up but at one point the ignition would not switch off - even with the key out everything was still live.

Turned out to be the micro switch that is activated when you turn the key in the ignition - a cam type thing compresses the switch as the key is turned. It was sticking slightly - either on or off! Changed for a 2nd hand one and has been fine ever since.

It's on the bottom of the ignition barrel and the whole thing is held on with two small torx screws. You need to lift off the whole ignition barrel to get to it - two big torx bolts hold it in place, viewable when you remove the top plastic panel that covers the battery/air filter.

Just my tuppence worth

SteveT

:cool:

+1 for Steve T's diagnosis, had the same thing happen to my 1200. Quite a common fault.

Sent from my LG-K350 using Tapatalk

Just gone down to have a go at stripping it and giving it a clean, and realised that the 2 bolts holding the ignition column in are the recessed torx style ones, which i don't have sockets for with me. So just snagged a set off Amazon and paid for quick delivery - I'm still crossing my fingers that I'm all sorted for Saturday so I can get on the ferry over to Harris to buy some nice gin!

your welcome - I've just bought the 800GS so i'm reading all manner of threads with interest - i haven't come across a lot of faults with the 800 specifically but that seems a common fault on a lot of BMW's - i was thinking of getting a spare just in case!!

Nice one, that's a mega helpful thread!

Sooo, turns out that the sockets I bought don't fit the bolts on the ignition barrel, are they a poxy BMW only thing?

They are security torx screws which can be bought if you search around. Alternatively drill the heads off and replace with normal ones

They are security torx screws which can be bought if you search around. Alternatively drill the heads off and replace with normal ones

Aye, I'm off to Euro Car Parts in Inverness tomorrow, what a ball ache!
Should be sorted by the end of tomorrow. Annoyingly, the bike is now starting and stopping absolutely fine, but I daren't risk a long trip till I know I've had the pesky little microswitch out and given it a good seeing to with some WD40. All being well I'll be sorted for tomorrow afternoon and I can still get the ferry to Harris on saturday to buy some posh gin for the mrs.

All being well I'll be sorted for tomorrow afternoon and I can still get the ferry to Harris on saturday to buy some posh gin for the mrs.

.... while listening to some fine music ;)

Hope you're sorted Paul :thumby:

:beerjug:

Finally got the right socket, got the ignition off and doused the bugger in WD40, cleaned it thoroughly and reassembled, all good and running fine. Let's hope it stays that way, tho at least I now know how to fix this particular issue, and it is a roadside repair job!

Back
Top Bottom