Iconic No 71 the first 1200 miles

Iver

Reaction score
Have had the bike for four weeks now, and riding it gets better every time, I can now see why they are so popular and win the best touring bike award so often. Took the forums advice and had the venture shield fitted, not cheap, but then neither is having the paintwork touched up. The insurance issue is very similar to other posts I've read, Carol Nash wanted silly money to add it to my other bike where as Bennetts were very reasonable and were aware of the extras and paint etc. I have put a fender extender on, the no drill Avant one from Nippy Normans, the standard guard is no where near long enough. My local dealer said they couldn't supply the splash guard infill's, so I bought these from Normans as well. I didn't want the wife to have wet ankles, which I'm told can be a problem. I also need the I-pod connection for the audio system, which again they seem unable to supply, despite being listed in the sales brochure. They did fit my splash guards whilst in for it's first service, which was free as part of the deal, but charged me £71, maybe I'm being greedy, but I thought that's a bit steep.
Also bought the genuine BMW luggage liner bags from e-bay. As new and only used once or twice for a £100 , good quality, but are a little to bulky, and are not the perfect fit, especially the top box bag. If space is a premium then you would be able to pack a lot more the old fashioned way in black bin liners. The downside to this being that the top box is not a straight forward removal like the old GS.Whilst talking of luggage, you can easily load more on a GS than the RT. I don't like the idea of drilling holes in the top box to fit a rack, and I can find only one bag on N,N's that could fit on top of the box with the Velcro pads.
At 5'6'' with a 29'' inside leg the bike is a good fit, although the bars could do with pulling back a touch, and a low seat would solve all the off camber issues. The front screen is good but a bit noisy, so I will fit a wider tinted one before French trip. My only real dislike is the massive blind spot in the mirrors, however I now find myself doing the life 'saver look' before moving. Gear box can sometimes be clunky, even with the pro-shift, but maybe that will improve with a few more miles. I didn't think that I was going to enjoy it as much as I have, I viewed it as a sort of bland old mans sort of bike, how wrong can one be, although the new colours are are not that exciting, they should have kept the blue one and got rid of the beige one. They have now started offering the RT in a candy green in the style of the iconic. It's about £18250 without the audio or dynamic package, sat nav or pipe, which now makes the iconic look a more reasonable price. A new fully loaded GS Rallye is pushing close to 20k.

If you ever find yourself near east Kent, I can let you try out a Wunderlich and a Puig screen.

I find Kathys bags are very good for the panniers, and there is a newer BMW bag for the latest top box.

The iPod connection is the same as the Mini one, some knockoffs on Fleabay, so pay for a genuine one and only buy one, or be prepared for a series of problems with cheapies.

You can get Wunderlich mirrors, that attach to the bars, and again, if you nip over, you can see them fitted.

Not sure you would get the bin liners past the RT fashion police, especially with carpet in the top box, the tossers who occasionally stray into this part of the forum to take the p1ss from those more civilised folk who have given up their knobbly tyres with spoked wheels for something more refined may have something to add of course.

:bounce1

That's a good and honest first review. Scary to think of close to £20k for a bike or aren't I moving with the times ?

I agree they are a scary price now, ok if you have it or can justify the expenditure. For me it will be second hand every time.

Good to hear you are enjoying No 71, I'm certainly enjoying my trips on No 84. Do you need an iPod connector? I just loaded my iTunes on to a USB stick and plugged that in. I get full functionality (tracks, albums, playlists, genres etc.) through the buttons and thumb wheel. :thumb2

Thanks for the link, they look to be the sort of bags that I wanted. They can be loaded like a traditional suitcase, unlike the BMW ones which open like a shopping bag, making it harder to pack them. If I have time in the coming weeks, I will ride over and have a look at your mirrors and screens. Thanks again.

Nice one Iver.

My no.26 has just had its 1st birthday service and i'm absolutely loving it still. :bow

Latest additions are the Wunderlich satnav lock and cockpit bag, which i find very useful.

Thanks Yonko,that's the best photo of the cockpit bag I've seen. Will order one before my French trip, for sunglasses etc. Are they pop stud fasteners that hold it on? Also I see you've gone back to the clear screen, any reason?

Thanks Yonko,that's the best photo of the cockpit bag I've seen. Will order one before my French trip, for sunglasses etc. Are they pop stud fasteners that hold it on? Also I see you've gone back to the clear screen, any reason?

That cockpit bag looks like a 9T Racer !!

That's a good and honest first review. Scary to think of close to £20k for a bike or aren't I moving with the times ?

Enjoy your bikes you guys :thumb

I paid £355 quid for a brand new BSA A65 Lightning back in 1966 :D

i-RnKwmf9-L.jpg

Mind you, I was only earning £7.10s.6p in those far off days :rob

:beerjug:

Enjoy your bikes you guys :thumb

I paid £355 quid for a brand new BSA A65 Lightning back in 1966 :D

i-RnKwmf9-L.jpg

Mind you, I was only earning £7.10s.6p in those far off days :rob

Yes, but for only 5s.6p you could take a girl to the pictures, buy a 3-piece suit at Burtons, & still have enough for a fish supper each on the way home..............:beerjug:

Yes, but for only 5s.6p you could take a girl to the pictures, buy a 3-piece suit at Burtons, & still have enough for a fish supper each on the way home..............:beerjug:

Correct on all counts sir :thumb

Except I didn't bother with the suit, but rather Barbour jacket and a dirty weekend in lieu :D

Yes the clips on with press studs for easy removal.
I still have the Wunderlich screen fitted, just looks clear close up.

Back
Top Bottom