Three Sisters Race Track closed down today.

It's a shame when any circuit closes but Three Sisters was grim even on a good day. Back in my days of desperately seeking signatures to get a national licence I managed to avoid having to actually race there though I did go to watch one of my mates go out there and I was momentarily tempted.

Sad. Heard about it but never ventured there. Aintree was my locale in the 70's and 80's to watch threadbare racers and Oulton Park for the cream of sporting heroes during the Transatlantic racing years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've done single venue rally's there it was bloody tight in a rally car.

They apparently looking for a new owner I was taking to someone who does a lot o photography there. The owner lives abroad and lost interest. Seems strange that it's happening at the start of the season for them .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a shame when any circuit closes but Three Sisters was grim even on a good day. Back in my days of desperately seeking signatures to get a national licence I managed to avoid having to actually race there though I did go to watch one of my mates go out there and I was momentarily tempted.

What did you used to race? My first ever SM race was at Three Sisters (with NORA); a truly terrifying experience but one I repeated two more times there. I actually thought it a fun track on a SM (also there was no dirt section there which was always a bonus!) but could see it might be a little hairy on a bigger bike..........

I hope they find a buyer :)

Andres

(also there was no dirt section there which was always a bonus!)
Andres

We, as in our company, helped build a couple of "dirt" sections there a few years ago. Chris Iddon and Matt Winstanley were there with their bikes, and we had an excavator and a couple of wagons to move stuff about. There were far too many interested parties to do anything too exciting, the riders wanted a jump, but the council said no, etc, etc. Not sure how they managed to end up owing what the papers say though, £2 million! :eek
Mark

Assuming the sand/gravel has been worked fully, it sits behind an existing Industrial/Trading Estate, it can't pay the bills/wash it's face financially, it's close to M6 & rail = redevelopment opportunity for the Local Authority, probably struggling with their Social Budget.

Let's face it, most of the locals have no real interest in the Race Circuit - it's small & run-down.

Shame, but them's the facts of life, for event venues eveywhere.

What did you used to race? My first ever SM race was at Three Sisters (with NORA); a truly terrifying experience but one I repeated two more times there. I actually thought it a fun track on a SM (also there was no dirt section there which was always a bonus!) but could see it might be a little hairy on a bigger bike..........

Andres

Is an SM a 'Spastics Mobile'?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Andres

I raced anything I could afford to buy from 250cc GP class to unlimited cc production bikes. I was going to race in the 250cc production class there but it was a stupidly long way to go for one signature so I didn't bother. I was tempted until I realised that most of the guys racing there lived locally and raced there several times each season so it was never going to be a give away signature and on a first outing I'd have been lucky to get inside the cut off time.

I was never tempted to race a motard and I realised that I wasn't cut out for high speed sliding after a day on Scunthorpe speedway track left me a quivering mess convinced I was going to be launched into the fencing every corner.

I always thought it was a Mickey Mouse circuit until I actually rode there but it's actually one of the most fun and demanding circuits there is. A proper rider's track, no two corners are the same and lots of them link together, it might be short but it's great fun. Casey Stoner held the lap record for a while. :thumb A bit of good news :-

Press Release – 1st June 2017
PRESTON AND DISTRICT MCC JULY MEETING TO GO AHEAD
The leaseholders of Three Sisters circuit have given permission for events to continue running at the track for the next couple of months, until a long-term solution is reached with the local council. The leaseholders are also still actively sourcing a new operating company to resume activities full time.

http://www.prestondmc.co.uk/

Glad it’s back! We took part in the CCM challenge racing, which had three sisters as one of the tracks, many years ago. All good twisty fun.

Back
Top Bottom