Reaction score
My pal has an R850r that won't start, the bike turns over well but won't fire:

Battery has been replaced and has 13.6v static and 11.5v when cranking
Bike has a spark
Bike is getting fuel
Side stand switch is ok

Any ideas?

Dave

Has he changed anything since it last ran?

You say 'bike is getting fuel', just what do you mean by that? Have you removed the injectors and seen the fuel squirting out?

Checking the spark outside the cylinder head is a bit different from checking under compression in the engine

First things first ....Did it have the "non starting" problem before he replaced the battery or since he's replaced the battery ?

Throttle cable dislodged ?

Has he changed anything since it last ran?

You say 'bike is getting fuel', just what do you mean by that? Have you removed the injectors and seen the fuel squirting out?

Checking the spark outside the cylinder head is a bit different from checking under compression in the engine

No haven't removed the injectors but as you crank the bike you can smell the fuel, injectors off is next on the list.

Dave

First things first ....Did it have the "non starting" problem before he replaced the battery or since he's replaced the battery ?

Throttle cable dislodged ?

The bike had the battery replaced and all was well since then it's stood for a couple of months and won't start, as I said it cranks well but isn't firing. The throttle cables are correctly seated.

Dave

By any chance has he been giving it a wee start just to keep it moving and maybe to boost the battery ??

Yes? Just Stick a set of plugs in it

I wonder if it is worth trying this technique.

https://youtu.be/DerHlx-bO0s

Basically he squirts a small amount of engine oil into each cylinder in an attempt to increase compression. It seems to work, though no guarantees on your mates bike.

:nenau

Thanks for the replies, although the start looked good a new set of plugs has sorted the problem.

Dave

Thanks for the replies, although the start looked good a new set of plugs has sorted the problem.

You know Dave originally I thought he'd been starting it to charge the battery and stopping it before it was hot and had "killed" the Plugs (seems to be worse with FI bikes these days)

anyway another thought Occurred, Check the wee drain hole at the tank filler plate to make sure its clear and water is not dropping into the tank when you open the filler

Back
Top Bottom