2016 gsa rust issue

I bought a RT a while back and then sold it before I even reached 500 miles as I hated it but that's a different story. The bike was an ex-demo bike. I got it from a BMW dealer who assured me it was in brilliant condition so I foolishly 'bought at distance'. Anyway I discovered lots of corrosion so sent it back. They discussed the issues and ended up replacing the engine, the final drive and forks (they were corroded similarly to your fork). At 7 months old your dealer won't have much choice but to sort it out. It's a sad truth but BMW bikes seem to corrode badly sometimes.
Get yourself a loan bike from your dealer to enjoy whilst yours is fixed, then enjoy an almost new bike when you get yours back. Shouldn't happen I know but it has so simply get it sorted, let the dealer have the problem.
They don't loan free bikes at this dealer :( They would be happy to rent me a bike at 20% discount off the price of $135 a day...... NOPE I miss max bmw up north.

I did notice a few tiny bubbles on the engine.... Would rather a buy back. I regret not getting the 1000xr after the minor issues I have had and now the major rust.

20170503_171847_zpssjgujwki.jpg
20170503_172001_zps89mloxcl.jpg
20170503_171958_zpstcl7z1qy.jpg
20170503_171913_zps5l79zfxb.jpg
20170503_171937_zpsepkrkbed.jpg
20170503_172024_zpsz63fizyw.jpg

If you think that's bad you should see the rust on my 8yr old 20,000mile Italian piece of shit Moto Guzzi.

Oh wait, hang on a minute , despite me being far from OCD about cleaning the damn thing it is in lovely condition without a speck of rust :thumb

But then , to be fair it was almost 25% cheaper than the equivalent BMW when I bought it :D

I spent a couple of hours in a large BMW dealers in Bradford last weekend and a few of the 14/15 adventures were quite corroded in the same area as the photographs. I have a KTM 990 adventure that I'm thinking of selling and going for a GS (again) and after three winters of constant use on salty roads there is no frame corrosion at all on the KTM (the starter solenoid and associated wiring is a different matter and a different story!!)

There was one spotless 2014 GSA with 5k on the clock that clearly hadn't even seen a shower of rain! I'm hoping that lots of ACF50 will prevent this sort of corrosion on the LC GSA's as it did on my old air cooled 2013 GSA.

I spent a couple of hours in a large BMW dealers in Bradford last weekend and a few of the 14/15 adventures were quite corroded in the same area as the photographs. I have a KTM 990 adventure that I'm thinking of selling and going for a GS (again) and after three winters of constant use on salty roads there is no frame corrosion at all on the KTM (the starter solenoid and associated wiring is a different matter and a different story!!)

There was one spotless 2014 GSA with 5k on the clock that clearly hadn't even seen a shower of rain! I'm hoping that lots of ACF50 will prevent this sort of corrosion on the LC GSA's as it did on my old air cooled 2013 GSA.

If I was going to own one long term, I would strip and paint all steel on the bike. Honestly the shittiest paint I have seen on a new transport since the 80's datsuns.

looks like mine ( Please see other posts. ) also drop me a line as My dealer thinks its an isolated problem ! One look at this forum should convince otherwise...

After careful inspection I have found corrosion on the engine and transmission. The dealer has still not called me back. I am not rushing it, the bike is 8 months old, the dealer has been alerted. If they replace 70% of the bike, I am getting more miles from the old parts. I have a 12 month warranty on paints... so.
I really wish they would just get this over with thou. Thinking of switching to the honda 1200x until they sort out the paint issue, if they buy the bike back at full price. Not sure if the law here in the states allows them to replace every piece of steel, and the engine and transmission on a motorcycle. It could fall into the lemon category.

Owned 8 BMW's and no real problem with paint or corrosion. Centre stand on my 2016 but I will get it powder coated myself and not complain to BMW.
I tried a Honda 1200X, good bike but the suspension an equipment is in the stone age compared to the GSA.

+ I think ACF50 is overrated goop.
I put on a tin and a half before the Donegal weekend and there wasn't a trace of it when i got home. All washed away in the rain.
WD40 for me, I wash my bikes with the stuff using toothbrushes.
If the bike is coated in an oily residue it cannot rust.

+ I think ACF50 is overrated goop.
I put on a tin and a half before the Donegal weekend and there wasn't a trace of it when i got home. All washed away in the rain.
WD40 for me, I wash my bikes with the stuff using toothbrushes.
If the bike is coated in an oily residue it cannot rust.

Washing in WD40. Doesnt that get expensive?

Owned 8 BMW's and no real problem with paint or corrosion. Centre stand on my 2016 but I will get it powder coated myself and not complain to BMW.
I tried a Honda 1200X, good bike but the suspension an equipment is in the stone age compared to the GSA.

I would also look at the triumph 1200 enduro. I need to research if they have issues first. Its looks like the BMW rust issue is hit or miss. I was hit hard.

Had to take my crash bars off at the weekend...... :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_2318.jpg
    IMG_2318.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 785
  • IMG_2309.jpg
    IMG_2309.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 864
looks like mine ( Please see other posts. ) also drop me a line as My dealer thinks its an isolated problem ! One look at this forum should convince otherwise...

UPDATE , all parts replaced under warranty (rear subframe, rear wheel and Final drive.) Thankyou John Clarke BMW Dundee.

Stone Age !?! The only piece of useful equipment missing on my 12X is cruise control. It has ABS and traction control ( that can be switched off on the move with one button) heated grips that's work , brakes are fab , pretty much like the GS . It doesn't have ESA but I see that as a blessing as the replacement cost when they wear out is immense. I only ride solo anyhow , and can easily twist the preload knob if I load her up. The trip computer could do with a range to empty mode, currently it only automatically comes into play when you get down to below 40 mikes range. My highlander came with larger touring screen, engine bars, small fairing wind deflectors, LED spotlights, heated grills , and FULL 3 piece luggage for a lot less than the cost of a standard bare bones GS.

Mine also has a creamy V4 engine as standard and Dual Clutch Transmission, apparently BMW choose only to fit something called Gear Shift Assist , now that's what I call Stone Age ;) :D

Stone Age !?! The only piece of useful equipment missing on my 12X is cruise control. It has ABS and traction control ( that can be switched off on the move with one button) heated grips that's work , brakes are fab , pretty much like the GS . It doesn't have ESA but I see that as a blessing as the replacement cost when they wear out is immense. I only ride solo anyhow , and can easily twist the preload knob if I load her up. The trip computer could do with a range to empty mode, currently it only automatically comes into play when you get down to below 40 mikes range. My highlander came with larger touring screen, engine bars, small fairing wind deflectors, LED spotlights, heated grills , and FULL 3 piece luggage for a lot less than the cost of a standard bare bones GS.

Mine also has a creamy V4 engine as standard and Dual Clutch Transmission, apparently BMW choose only to fit something called Gear Shift Assist , now that's what I call Stone Age ;) :D

You tell'em Rushy.............yours looked lovely yesterday, when you were packing up

Didn't intend to disrespect your ride, the CT is a good motorcycle, but getting off a 16 GSA and on to the CT. the suspensions are light years apart.
I have a Varadero 2010 and the chassis is every bit as good as the CT.
Honda misses a opportunity to make the best bike in the world.
They spend 10 years developing that magnificent engine and transmission and then plonk it into the VFR road frame \ forks.
Look at the daft "ape hanger" handlebar risers.
I would have a CT and set up the suspension.
My criticism is to Honda for not developing a proper Adventure chassis for this bike.
A BMW GSA with the CT engine would be my perfect bike.

Back
Top Bottom