2016 gsa rust issue

scoobert

Reaction score
Hello all.
Has anyone had major rust issues on their brand new GS or GSA?
My frame is rusting, at the welds, and on other parts.
I want to know if this is rare, or if this is common?
My 2011 800gs has no rust after all these years. The bikes are parked next to each other, I live 1 mile from the ocean.
I want to make sure this is rare, because its going to the dealer soon, and if they buy it back... Well I don't want to buy a new one and have the same issue.

Do you think they will buy it back or replace the entire frame?

I have a 2015 GSA and live 8 miles from the sea, I ride along the coast regularly, no signs of any rust.

A friend had his frame replaced because rust under paint. 2016 model GSA.

Interesting. I concluded what I thought was rust at welds (pillion footrest hanger lugs mainly) was actually mud. A 1" paint brush used when cleaning shifted it. But clearly crappy welding, with scope for salt and moisture to attack.

My centre stand is loosing its paint.
Not going to complain I will just give it a coat of paint or powdercoat.

My centre stand is loosing its paint.
Not going to complain I will just give it a coat of paint or powdercoat.

My centre stand is corroding as well, along the cross bar. I think it's something that happens a lot as mine is being replaced under warranty but the dealers gave me an option to have it powder coated before fitting. As mine isn't on PCP I decided to have that done. Hopefully that'll make it last a bit longer.

Get them to change it under warranty, I did :)

A friend had his frame replaced because rust under paint. 2016 model GSA.

In these cases how much did they replace? Even my windshield support is rusting, and my engine guards.

My local shop wants me to leave the bike with them for 2 days (hard because its my daily driver) so a BMW rep can come look at it.
I would rather they replace or buy back the bike then replace all the rusted parts. Not much would be left, as all the welds are showing rust now, and most of the non-welded parts too. Even the forks are rusting on the top.

In these cases how much did they replace? Even my windshield support is rusting, and my engine guards.

My local shop wants me to leave the bike with them for 2 days (hard because its my daily driver) so a BMW rep can come look at it.
I would rather they replace or buy back the bike then replace all the rusted parts. Not much would be left, as all the welds are showing rust now, and most of the non-welded parts too. Even the forks are rusting on the top.

You've clearly got a UK bike by mistake, as I've not heard of many (if any) GS's corroding in the US.

20170503_171847_zpssjgujwki.jpg
20170503_172001_zps89mloxcl.jpg
20170503_171958_zpstcl7z1qy.jpg
20170503_171913_zps5l79zfxb.jpg
20170503_171937_zpsepkrkbed.jpg
20170503_172024_zpsz63fizyw.jpg

If thats a brand new bike
:eek:
I have pretty much all of the that bar the forks and my centre stand is a mess. 5000 mile 2015 GSA TE which is garaged.... :(
I cant say i'm too bothered as the bike is paid for and it's a keeper which I will one day get around to sorting out or as they say in these here parts... it will get done dreckly!

Crikey ,those pics look as if you have just recovered it from the bottom of the Everglades ,after being submerged for two months with an alligator sat on the top of it.

Take it back mate and demand they sort it .

Fec me that is bad, what have you been doing with the bike?
I hardly wash mine with water only after a boreen run.
Usually wash with WD40 and a toothbrush.

I'm in the UK and used to live by the sea. Any exposed metalwork (or thinly painted) would rust quickly as air is filled with salt all the time.

Corrosion or rusting is an electrochemical reaction requiring oxygen, water and an electrolyte like salt (to allow conduction to take place). The warmer the water, the faster the conduction (corrosion).

Some hard tap water has salt present, so I've always used car wash with rust inhibitor in it. That helps a bit. I also use car wax in places and ACF50 on bolts and difficult exposed areas.

I've also riden brand new bikes through winter salted roads and they take weeks to rust badly if you leave salt water on them, for even a few days in a garage. So months would look really bad. Once that paint coating is breached it'll rust very quick.

Salt damages bikes quickly if left unattended and will damage alloys (oxidization), chains, bolts and steel frames quickly even when washed regularly.

Its why Road Bridges spanning salt water need to be painted constantly to prevent corrosion.

Your pictures look like salt damage to me. Where a bike has been exposed to sea salt, from the air, riden on the beach, or riden through wet salted conditions. Just wet roads near the sea will be enough.

I've also had alloy framed fairing bikes like VFR1200 that weathered well (except brakes siezing with salt damage). So some bikes are built more hardened to corrosion naturally from materials used.

If salt exposure, must wash it immediately with cold water (not warm water as it expedites the electro chemical reaction with salt). Even then once salt takes hold its difficult to stop rust.

At the end of winter I have to regularly go around and repaint (touch up rust spots) on my steel framed Bandit 1250 with black smooth direct to rust Hammerite paint. To keep on top of it. Its the way it is.. not quite a road bridge but same principle.

Salt, water and bikes dont mix well.

Just my experience.

Just to point out.. if you live by the sea and your bike is covered in salt or you are riding along a sunny coastline, it wont start rusting until water is applied into the mix.

Water, Oxygen & Electrolyte (salt) + Time = bad news.

Back
Top Bottom