2016 gsa rust issue

Yep I get that but for 17k there should not be as many issues as we are seeing... and there should be more consistency in prep...

I wonder if rusted parts that come off warranty bikes aren't just poorly recycled...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fact that they use steel for the frame speaks volumes.
We have much better materials now. Would it really be that much more money to make the subframe out of aluminum? Buell made extensive use of it in their bikes. They were very cheap.
Their are coatings they can put on aluminum that keep it looking great for decades. Steel however has very specific requirements for paint prep. Including how to treat the welds. I think that is what the issue really is.
They could also use stainless steel, if they spend the money and invest in the right stainless steel. My yacht has 35 year old stainless steel on it that is not rusting.

Yep I get that but for 17k there should not be as many issues as we are seeing... and there should be more consistency in prep...

I wonder if rusted parts that come off warranty bikes aren't just poorly recycled...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't judge all bikes by what you see on this forum. The ratio of corroded bikes to number of bikes made/ sold is tiny. If they all corroded, BMW wouldn't sell any.

Don't judge all bikes by what you see on this forum. The ratio of corroded bikes to number of bikes made/ sold is tiny. If they all corroded, BMW wouldn't sell any.

How under-reported is it thou. Not everyone has it happen within the warranty period. Not everyone that goes to the dealer with the issue brings it online.
I am happy it happened during the first few months, and not during month 13.

You do know that they don't all corrode? Plenty of happy owners.;)

I was at a BMW dealers this afternoon, looking at at the bikes in the car park

There was a 2016 12 GSA which looked in great nick, but didn't look too great when you looked closely, the rear hub/spokes and rear shaft tube was in a shocking state, whereas the rest of the bike was pretty A1 - Front hub/spokes were perfect, despite enduring the same conditions/cleaning

I saw a new R9T Urban Scrambler thing that was only registered at the weekend (launch date) and the front spindle was red rust, completely corroded on a brand new bike, FFS

So a member of BMW came out today.
He said that he thinks it is environmental, based on spray pattern from the front tire.
He was very puzzled.
He left asking if it should have happened that fast? What should BMW do about it? He asked me what I wanted to happen.
I said, replace the bike with a new one. He states that we are very far apart on a solution, but give him time and he will see what can be done.
He mentioned replacing the crash bars, the rusty bolts, and then asked himself, what about the frame? Is it going to happen again just as quickly?

I think he and BMW powers want to believe its environmental, and not the fault of BMW.

He did not mention my cleaning ability, or try to put blame on the way I cleaned it. He said clearly from road spray.
He said he does not see it in Florida, but he has seen it in New york from road salt, and from the dawson highway.

Really nice guy, but I have a bad feeling he is going to want to do just crash bars.
I have a feeling I will probably have to involve my lawyer.
I want a new bike, or for them to take the bike back.

The paint and or anti-corosion Is clearly not fit for purpose then.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Watching with interest

For what its worth, my dealer isn't replacing my frame, they are having it powder coated as they know just as well as us that it will corrode again in the same way. The finishes are terrible.

So a member of BMW came out today.
He said that he thinks it is environmental, based on spray pattern from the front tire.
He was very puzzled.
He left asking if it should have happened that fast? What should BMW do about it? He asked me what I wanted to happen.
I said, replace the bike with a new one. He states that we are very far apart on a solution, but give him time and he will see what can be done.
He mentioned replacing the crash bars, the rusty bolts, and then asked himself, what about the frame? Is it going to happen again just as quickly?

I think he and BMW powers want to believe its environmental, and not the fault of BMW.

He did not mention my cleaning ability, or try to put blame on the way I cleaned it. He said clearly from road spray.
He said he does not see it in Florida, but he has seen it in New york from road salt, and from the dawson highway.

Really nice guy, but I have a bad feeling he is going to want to do just crash bars.
I have a feeling I will probably have to involve my lawyer.
I want a new bike, or for them to take the bike back.

For what its worth, my dealer isn't replacing my frame, they are having it powder coated as they know just as well as us that it will corrode again in the same way. The finishes are terrible.

Trading in my mint 2013 LC without a spot of rust tomorrow for a new GSA. Getting slightly concerned. :eek

gs rust

Yes but in those 20 years things change.

Paint quality is different
Manufacturing materials are different
Chemicals used are different
Environmental conditions are different

So many things change over time and you have to be aware and adapt.

(Nice pic by the way, same weather here on my last ride haha)

Yes you have to adapt because the finish on the lc gs s is so bad:roband before anybody gets upset i have owned 10 of them over the years and the lc are the worst,must say they are still good to ride:thumb2

By Jove I think I have I have sussed it!

I was riding through a German city a few weeks ago (can't remember which one as I rode and sat in the traffic in so many) and saw work men building a new tram line. The brand new tram lines were all stacked up ready to be fitted to make the track and.......... they were all rusty!

The workmen were fitting them like nothing was wrong! They did not seem to appreciate that their new metal thingies were already rusty or didn't care. Perhaps jerry thinks that a coat of rust is the new thing, like powder coating etc!

By Jove I think I have I have sussed it!

I was riding through a German city a few weeks ago (can't remember which one as I rode and sat in the traffic in so many) and saw work men building a new tram line. The brand new tram lines were all stacked up ready to be fitted to make the track and.......... they were all rusty!

The workmen were fitting them like nothing was wrong! They did not seem to appreciate that their new metal thingies were already rusty or didn't care. Perhaps jerry thinks that a coat of rust is the new thing, like powder coating etc!

Bare steel rusts, it's normal

Brake disks can have surface rust after a few days, even hours if you park up with them wet, but it's nothing to worry about

A bit of surface rust is not going to stop a tram

Time for an update.
Everyone went on vacation, without returning my calls.
I left a message saying I want to get this over with and return the bike.
We will see what they say, but between the rust, and now the recall....
I just want to return the bike for a refund. I love the bike, but I think I will go honda until this is sorted.

Update:
After dealing with them for the last 6 months, BMW has called the problem environmental.
I have a 2016 rust bucket. Meanwhile the 2010 honda that is parked directly next to the BMW is rust free.
Lawsuit will be started soon enough.
12 month paint warranty covers NOTHING.

Throwing good money after bad.

It is environmental.

Throwing good money after bad.

It is environmental.

Everything is environmental. However the product should be constructed to last its lifetime in ordinary environmental conditions expected by the product type and the conditions that will be presented. If I leave a blender out in the rain, and it stops working, then its environmental. However the blender was never intended to be out in the rain. It's a product defect that is either a defect in design, or a defect in materials.

Back
Top Bottom