Changes in routing

autogs

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
so i have had my nav 6 a while now and like others found transfering known routes onto the 6 it changes them slightly,ticked unticked every combo but still variations.i had been using motogoloco and mapsource,i then tried in tyre and it worked perfectly with exact route transferred.

i cant explain it,other weired thing is when the route is transferred to device there are masses of flags along the route that i didnt mark as waypoints of anything for that matter,but the route is spot on

I've noticed the same with motogoloco. Does anyone know how the Nav deals with avoidances on routes planned in motogoloco? If you plan a route avoiding all motorways, and sticking to back roads in motogoloco, and have curvy roads/ avoid motorways on the device, I noticed at the weekend that it still routed us through towns/ down roads that I definitely didn't plan.

OP threads like this it would help greatly if you could:

1. Put up some screen shots of what you are seeing, several if necessary. For example, it might be easier to see what it is you mean by 'It changes them slightly". What does 'slightly' mean? Does it mean, that the route as delivered up on your Nav 6 cuts one or two corners in a town or that it routes you down a mile of motorway, instead of the two miles of awesome twisties you'd planned on? Or does it mean something else?

2. Share the route with us, hosting it on something like Dropbox (which is free) or some similar file sharing platform.

Trying to imagine quite why and / or how you are encountering the problem is hard otherwise.

The introduction of third party software like Motogoloco brings into a Garmin centric world, brings in all sorts of other variables, too. You say that you are seeing the 'slight changes' between I guess the route displayed on your PC in Mapsource and that displayed on your Nav VI? As we have no way of knowing how you created the route shown in Mapsource (did they start life in Motogoloco or did you create them in Mapsource from day one) nor do we know the maps you are running on Mapsource versus those that are running on your Nav 6, so it's really hard to guess what's going on. Some more, easy to understand, words, files and pictures from your side might assist.

so i have had my nav 6 a while now and like others found transfering known routes onto the 6 it changes them slightly,ticked unticked every combo but still variations.i had been using motogoloco and mapsource,i then tried in tyre and it worked perfectly with exact route transferred.

did you try basecamp, just wondering as mapsource is said to be incompatible with newer devices, and as maybe an answer with reference to your route from tyre having many flags, could it be converting a track to a route behind the scenes as tracks have loads of points, its just a thought.
And as Wapping as said pictures or files of the offending articles may help.

I've noticed the same with motogoloco. Does anyone know how the Nav deals with avoidances on routes planned in motogoloco? If you plan a route avoiding all motorways, and sticking to back roads in motogoloco, and have curvy roads/ avoid motorways on the device, I noticed at the weekend that it still routed us through towns/ down roads that I definitely didn't plan.

Nutty, just get used to using BaseCamp and all your problems will be over. It's really not very hard. Alternatively, load up Mapsource, which some people find easier.

Failing that, contact the bods at Motogoloco (one of them subscribes to this site) who'll doubtless help you. Alternatively, try the Motogoloco sub-section of this part of the forum, where you are most likely to meet likeminded souls to answer your question.

PS I have done just that for you, me old fruit. I've created a fresh thread, just for you.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...o-they-work-in-a-Nav-VI?p=4706219#post4706219

The multiple flags could definitely be a track that's then converted within the device itself into a route. This is particularly likely if the file was created in Motogoloco, exported into Mapsource (only in order to get it into the Nav VI Garmin device) and then sent to the device.

Like Lee, my guess is that the multiple flags are in fact small electronic points (breadcrumbs) along the track / route, that are being seen by the device as announced waypoints, as opposed to unannounced shaping points. It's the problem of creating a route in one brand of software and then trying to run it in another.

As I understand it, Motogoloco allows you to export route files in various formats. OP, have you checked what format you have:

1. Sent the file from Motogoloco to Mapsource in

2. Sent the file from Mapsource to your Nav VI in

Please also check whether you are looking at a route or a track when viewing it in Mapsource.

Sharing the file with us would make life so much easier.... That and doing everything in Garmin software from day one, too.

did you try basecamp, just wondering as mapsource is said to be incompatible with newer devices, and as maybe an answer with reference to your route from tyre having many flags, could it be converting a track to a route behind the scenes as tracks have loads of points, its just a thought.
And as Wapping as said pictures or files of the offending articles may help.

Mapsource works with all new devices, you just have to set them into mass storage mode! If the OP has Mapsource I can't see the point of using a third party system, which as has been pointed out, uses different maps. Why not just plan in Mapsource using the maps that will be on the device? Have I missed something, does this third party system do something special?

John

Have I missed something, does this third party system do something special?

Some bods prefer creating routes in Google maps, over using Garmin maps, so they use Tyre / Motogoloco. It's all down to personal preferences. Just like some bods sometimes like Open Street maps over Garmin maps and BaseCamp over Mapsource and visa-versa.

That their choice sometimes brings with it other problems, is another matter entirely.

Nutty, just get used to using BaseCamp and all your problems will be over. It's really not very hard. Alternatively, load up Mapsource, which some people find easier.

Failing that, contact the bods at Motogoloco (one of them subscribes to this site) who'll doubtless help you. Alternatively, try the Motogoloco sub-section of this part of the forum, where you are most likely to meet likeminded souls to answer your question.

PS I have done just that for you, me old fruit. I've created a fresh thread, just for you.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...o-they-work-in-a-Nav-VI?p=4706219#post4706219

Thanks captain.:thumb

For what it's worth, there is a slight fallacy that a track will always convert exactly into a route, without altering the roads taken by the original track over those rendered up in route form.

To be fair, the differences are sometimes quite small. I was reminded of this when I created some routes for a bod in the Ardennes Travel section. I downloaded some route files from a third party source into BaseCamp. They were in a track form. I then asked BaseCamp to convert the track into a route, which it did in the flash of an eye.

As I use a Mac, it's easy to display the original track which I coloured green (only to make it stand out instead of the rather dull grey Garmin's default colour for tracks) over the freshly created bright magenta route, the two being visible at once. I noticed that, whilst over a vast majority of the roads they lined up exactly, there were some slight variations at some points. Zooming in helped me find them. Then, using the shaping tool, make whatever adjustments I deemed appropriate.

thanks for all the replies folks,i am a compleate numpty when it comes to computers etc,in mapsource as in basecamp the route looked straightish and would only show on the 6 when route pref were set to curvy,
on my nav 4 when doing a route in motogoloco and opening up in mapsource and transfering to device all was good route was exactly as plotted?

Once more, try to share the route with us via Dropbox.

The straight lines are probably nothing more than the device displaying the route as 'direct' (straight from point to point to point) or because the Garmin software was unable to match the route to any roads before you asked it to make a recalculation, when you asked it to display it in windy roads.

This whole thread seems to revolve not so much around the Garmin device (in this case a Nav VI) as the problems of starting in a non-Garmin form of software (Motogoloco) and then moving into a Garmin software environment.

I'll move it into a hopefully more appropriate section where maybe some of the fans of alternative route plotting software will be able to help you best.

Richard

Export the planned ride as a KML file, convert to GPX, manually move onto device. Import as trip on the device. If it doesn't prompt you to import, go to tracks and use the '"create trip" function.

Caveat - as proven on a Nav V

Yep. I've got this to work. Export the planned ride as a KML file, convert to GPX, manually move onto device. Import as trip on the device. If it doesn't prompt you to import, go to tracks and use the '"create trip" function.

Thank you, DottyDog.

One question on behalf of this section:

When you say
Export the planned ride as a KML file, convert to GPX
I assume you intend the bod to export the MotoGoLoco produced KML file to Mapsource or BaseCamp, then convert it there from KML to GPX? Having converted it, then send the GPX route to the GPS device?

Thank you, DottyDog.

One question on behalf of this section:

When you say I assume you intend the bod to export the MotoGoLoco produced KML file to Mapsource or BaseCamp, then convert it there from KML to GPX? Having converted it, then send the GPX route to the GPS device?

Nope. I can't get BaseCamp to work for me. I avoid it at all cost. Export directly from MotoGoLoco as KML and then use one of the many tools available on the internet to convert to GPX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom