Schuberth C4 & SC-1 Comms

DottyDog

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Few people have this helmet now and as it really just been released I'd consider ourselves early adopters. I thought it would be useful to share with folk experiences of the kit I have.

I've done a few hundred miles now with the helmet and advanced comms kit and have the following reflections!

1. Really comfortable now that it's bedded in. It's my first flip up helmet so took some getting used to putting on/off
2. Build quality seems ok, little things gripe me though like Schuberth badges on each cheek pad are stickers only. It seems almost every other day that I find a Schuberth badge sticker on my gloves after putting on/off the helmet. Why didn't they stitch it in!
3. Venting is ok, used the top vent yesterday and was surprised how much air circulated, even with my gimp hat on. Think it might be hot in Spain this summer though.
4. The visor doesn't hold open at motorway speeds and slams shut. This is really annoying and hoping that someone knows a way to tighten the visor so that it doesn't do this
5. My visor came with an insert in the pin lock place which I thought was a pinlock, but on closer inspection realised it wasn't. I've ordered a pinlock, but in the meantime it fogs up badly.
6. Drop down sunglassss/visor (or whatever you call it) is great. Using this a lot at the moment. Possible to adjust the amount it comes down too which is useful for those of us with the larger snout.
7. Speaker wise, volume and clarity of music and nav is great. Can't fault it
8. I've found the radio coming on on its own last week. Don't know how it happened. Spooky - needs monitoring.
9. I can't get my phone to work properly. I've tried various connection approaches (BT to helmet, to Nav V, to both) and can't get it quite right. I'd appreciate your experiences with this. What works well?
10. Battery life, had about 10hrs now for various connection types, music, phone, nav and have 9% left.
11. I'd like more voice command options
12. Buttons for the comms unit are difficult to reach and not comfortable to use. It's sort of round the back of your head which isn't great at 70mph down the motorway
13. I find the comms complicated to use. One button press for this, x seconds for that, two for this.
14. I couldn't connect the helmet to my Mac. It just wouldn't recognise it with the SENA software. Ended up configuring it using BT to my phone and using the app.

As I've said on another thread, I had really high expectations for this helmet, particularly given the cost of the package. Maybe the perfect helmet doesn't exist.

Hope it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Few people have this helmet now and as it really just been released I'd consider ourselves early adopters. I thought it would be useful to share with folk experiences of the kit I have.

I've done a few hundred miles now with the helmet and advanced comms kit and have the following reflections!

1. Really comfortable now that it's bedded in. It's my first flip up helmet so took some getting used to putting on/off
2. Build quality seems ok, little things gripe me though like Schuberth badges on each cheek pad are stickers only. It seems almost every other day that I find a Schuberth badge sticker on my gloves after putting on/off the helmet. Why didn't they stitch it in!
3. Venting is ok, used the top vent yesterday and was surprised how much air circulated, even with my gimp hat on. Think it might be hot in Spain this summer though.
4. The visor doesn't hold open at motorway speeds and slams shut. This is really annoying and hoping that someone knows a way to tighten the visor so that it doesn't do this
5. My visor came with an insert in the pin lock place which I thought was a pinlock, but on closer inspection realised it wasn't. I've ordered a pinlock, but in the meantime it fogs up badly.
6. Drop down sunglassss/visor (or whatever you call it) is great. Using this a lot at the moment. Possible to adjust the amount it comes down too which is useful for those of us with the larger snout.
7. Speaker wise, volume and clarity of music and nav is great. Can't fault it
8. I've found the radio coming on on its own last week. Don't know how it happened. Spooky - needs monitoring.
9. I can't get my phone to work properly. I've tried various connection approaches (BT to helmet, to Nav V, to both) and can't get it quite right. I'd appreciate your experiences with this. What works well?
10. Battery life, had about 10hrs now for various connection types, music, phone, nav and have 9% left.
11. I'd like more voice command options
12. Buttons for the comms unit are difficult to reach and not comfortable to use. It's sort of round the back of your head which isn't great at 70mph down the motorway
13. I find the comms complicated to use. One button press for this, x seconds for that, two for this.
14. I couldn't connect the helmet to my Mac. It just wouldn't recognise it with the SENA software. Ended up configuring it using BT to my phone and using the app.

As I've said on another thread, I had really high expectations for this helmet, particularly given the cost of the package. Maybe the perfect helmet doesn't exist.

Hope it helps.

Where did you get the Pinlock from ? I assumed it would come with it as well.

Just seen the orange helmet in the flesh in a Polo Motorrad store and it looks great .

I ordered it from RaceLeathers whoever they are. Should be at home tonight. Will let you know what it's like.

Yeah really happy with the Orange myself.

Great review DottyDog and lets hope we get some more like it once people start using the helmet & systems.

I got mine delivered on Monday and have not had a chance to fit / set up all the comms etc. Will let you know this weekend.

Regards point 9, I intend to link everything through my GPS units (ZUMO 590). Simple reason I like to be able to use the GPS menu for phone calls. Let you know how I get on with this one.

Regarding points 12 & 13, have to agree. This is why I have purchased the remote control in the hope that at least I have easy access to the controls, however the same button options exist with one addition, you have a simple "+" and "-" sign for volume as well as the command "dots" . Those that have the SC1 system will understand what I mean....
Point 13 - inevitable. No-one seems to have manufactured a simple bar mount touchscreen remote which is much simpler to use and very clear. I guess the best would be to have such a software package programmed to your GPS unit and use this as the control panel for things such as volume, radio etc. I guess you could mount you phone.....to me not the point. Guess safety then becomes and issue, buggerring around with comms rather than focusing on the road.....we know what trouble this causes other road users.....

Regarding other points. back later with more info....

I ordered it from RaceLeathers whoever they are. Should be at home tonight. Will let you know what it's like.

Yeah really happy with the Orange myself.

So what I received was the same insert that was in the helmet from new. Schuberth branded rather than pinlock if that makes a difference.

So, I can conclude I think officially that the Schuberth pinlock fogs up and is rubbish. It doesn't stick to the visor so the fog just appears between the visor and the insert. I hope that there will be an after market one which is better soon or that someone tells me I'm a numpty and have fitted it wrong!

Hi Dotty - Pinlock pins are eccentric cams so turning them alters the distance between the pins slightly so you can get a tighter fit. Try breathing on it to see if it works.

Have a look at this video - about 50 second in for the adjustment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTCsH8K3NA0

I hope that helps.

Garan.

Back to the comms issue. I'm having a real problem with the comms set up...:blast.
I have managed to get everything connected but for some reason I have no sound with the phone. i.e. when someone calls I cant here them but they can hear me.
Link up is as follows - iPhone to Zumo 590 & SC1 to Zumo 590. (same way as I did with the comms on my M1). MP3 on the ZUMO works fine in the lid but when I make a call - no sound in the headphones. Voice is fine & the caller can here me but I cant here them.

its a real bugger. Cant me the link as I can pick up the incoming call on my ZUMO screen and I can also hear the call ringing on the SC1.

I've been at it for 3 hours already and simply cannot get it to work......

anyone got any tips......

...............after another few hours I've finally got it all working. Required a reboot of the comms and also for the GPS unit. However, the SC1 does not seem to like being paired through the ZUMO as a hub. So have set it up the other way with the SC1 as hub and all phones, GPS, MP3 etc going through the SC1. Seems to manage fine. Actually with the remote control its even easier.

My experience with C4 is deflated.

Positives:

Appeared quieter than C3 Pro.

Coms kit is nicely integrated and sounds great, however buttons on the plug in unit are to small and hard to operate with gloved hand.

Nice positive locking "clonk" when chin bar brought down in to closed position.

Thoughtful touch in regards to where sun visor bottoms out when in use via flick out stop on the slider mechanism. This allows for people with smaller nose bridge to be comfortable too.

Linings are very plush and comfortable, with very pleasant soft feeling to touch.

Great top vent ventilation.

Dislikes:

I do not like how chin vent is opened or closed. Half the time I couldn't tell if it was open or closed.

Chin vent ventilation is crap in comparison to my C3 Pro. I could not feel any air passing over my face at all. And bottom part of visor (uncovered from "pinlock") was fogging up with outside temperature of 15°C

Sun visor is fogging up on the inside with every expelled breath through the nose or mouth.

I've experienced allot of pressure on the crown of my head, suggesting shuberth have changed something in comparison to C3 Pro.

Mine has arrived, courtesy of Just Helmets. Pete sent 2 up, a L and an XL as at 59cm I am pretty much in between sizes. The Large was too tight, but so far I have been sitting here for a couple of hours with the XL on. It feels tight around the cheeks, but a decent fit elsewhere. A bit tighter than my System 5, but in all honestly that had become too loose.

Initial impressions are of a quality piece of kit, although minor things do seem to let the finish down a bit such as the small Schuberth stickers on the lining, which won't last long.

Not had a chance to try it on th bike yet, as I'm waiting to make sure this size will be fine.

About to start the pairing process,having fitted the SC-1 Advanced intercom, which is a very neat unit. Looking to pair an iPhone and a Nav 5, so any tips would be helpful.

...............after another few hours I've finally got it all working. Required a reboot of the comms and also for the GPS unit. However, the SC1 does not seem to like being paired through the ZUMO as a hub. So have set it up the other way with the SC1 as hub and all phones, GPS, MP3 etc going through the SC1. Seems to manage fine. Actually with the remote control its even easier.

I have the same issue with my phone and Zumo 590.

I'm going to try and change the pairing as you have.

But, can you use the phone from the Zumo as before?

Just got my C4 and SC1 Standard from Pete at Just Helmets.

Great service as always.

A question for those of you who have them-I've connected my iphone and it all works ok.BUT I made call and it worked fine but the person I was calling said it was quite muffled and he couldn't hear me very well.Also,when I say something to myself,ie when not on a call,I can hear myself through the speakers as though the mike is always live.Is this normal ? Ta

I have the same issue with my phone and Zumo 590.

I'm going to try and change the pairing as you have.

But, can you use the phone from the Zumo as before?

Unfortunately not..... Its all a bit annoying. I found that in the past and with my SRC system from Cardo on my M1 using the phone through the ZUMO was the best. However now that I have used / set up the SC1 as the "base" I have set up the speed dial option on the SC1 in order to optimize and overcome the problems of using the ZUMO as base. Basically you have 4 speed dial numbers you can programme into the SC1. I rarely use any more so this is fine. I also have the remote so this feature is quite easy to use both on speed dial and for incoming calls
Am I totally happy? - not really, but this is a satisfactory second best option

Just got my C4 and SC1 Standard from Pete at Just Helmets.

Great service as always.

A question for those of you who have them-I've connected my iphone and it all works ok.BUT I made call and it worked fine but the person I was calling said it was quite muffled and he couldn't hear me very well.Also,when I say something to myself,ie when not on a call,I can hear myself through the speakers as though the mike is always live.Is this normal ? Ta

Not normal! I set up my system and the recipient of my call could hear me loud and clear. Not sure about the bike to bike comms however the SC1 has a unique HD feature which means for the intercom the sound quality is classed as HD. Need to test this one out shortly with a pal who also has the SENA communication system on his BMW lid.
Let you know

Schuberth C4 & SC-1 Comms

Not normal! I set up my system and the recipient of my call could hear me loud and clear. Not sure about the bike to bike comms however the SC1 has a unique HD feature which means for the intercom the sound quality is classed as HD. Need to test this one out shortly with a pal who also has the SENA communication system on his BMW lid.
Let you know

It's all ok now.I think I had the intercom triggered as I had pressed the '-' button.
The speakers are good but the mike isn't as clear as it could be.Other than that it seems great.And best of all it paired properly with the My Ride feature on my KTM 1290R,unlike my Scala Packtalk so I can play music,make calls etc using the left grip buttons and with everything showing on the dash.

Happy days.

25f224b32e2e241da9ee92c891417bc5.jpg

It's all ok now.I think I had the intercom triggered as I had pressed the '-' button.
The speakers are good but the mike isn't as clear as it could be.Other than that it seems great.And best of all it paired properly with the My Ride feature on my KTM 1290R,unlike my Scala Packtalk so I can play music,make calls etc using the left grip buttons and with everything showing on the dash.

Happy days.

25f224b32e2e241da9ee92c891417bc5.jpg

Wow - I like that picture. Makes my GS look very old fashioned.

Back
Top Bottom