Adious' Africa...Buenos Dias South America...the next leg

simon thomas

www.2ridetheworld.com
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
...we ship to South America on the 8th June!

What an amazing 18 months we've had in Africa. It's taking us a while to get our heads around the fact that in just two weeks time we'll be saying farewell to a continent that has left an indelible mark on both Lisa and myself. You can't come here and expect to leave the same person.

We've enjoyed the truly amazing hospitality and generosity during our trip to date, but have still been left 'gob smacked' by the warmth and good will we've been shown in South Africa. We'd planned to leave SA back in Feb/March but stayed on, hoping to clinch a few sponsors. We desperately needed new camping gear...The West coast hadn't been kind to our kit and it had all seen better days. We weren't dissapointed and the extra time here has meant that not only are we better prepared for South America but that we were able to also do a little more of the Charities side to our trip.

But, shit have we been kept busy...we managed to completey strip, repair and rebuild both bikes and with the help of a good friend here, Lisa's 650 even ended up getting a new paint job, ah well it'll be pretty and shiny for a little while at least. So much seems to have happened! We spent four great days as guest of BMW South Africa riding in the Karro area at the BMW Annual Bike gathering, what a brilliant bunch of nutters, stunning riding and good company always a healthy combination. BMW left us stunned when they sponsored us with two new Rally 2 suits and a new clutch for Lisa's F650GS...she couldn't stop grinning for week, although it'll take us a while to get used to the feeling of crispy clean bike gear, we're pretty sure we can dirty them up fast:D

Apologies to anyone following our diary on the website, our little laptop simply died on us and it's taken us a while to get the cash together for a new one and so updating the website has been difficult, hopefully in just a few days our new mini laptop will arrive with us and we can get back to getting our site sorted with a few big updates.

Here's a few of the stats we clocked up to date:
24 months of travel.
2 continents
38 Countries
82,000 Km
2 punctures (...it's a miracle...!)
2 broken ribs
1 dislocated shoulder
1 Broken drive shaft
1 broken rear shock (F650GS)
2 Lion encounters
1 'buggered tent'
1 'kaput' laptop
countless new friends
3,500 digital photos
...and thousands of experiences we once could of only have dreamt about!

Here's a couple of photos from our time in South Africa (and maybe one or two others).

Cheers for now
Simon & Lisa T
www.2ridetheworld.com
:beerjug:

Attachments

• 12112004_sa_table_mountain_us3.jpg
    12112004_sa_table_mountain_us3.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 565
...another piccy...

piccy

Attachments

• 07122004_namibia_heading_north_eat_my_dust.jpg
    07122004_namibia_heading_north_eat_my_dust.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 551
...another piccy...

riding into 'De Hell'...what a ride!

Attachments

• de_hell.jpg
    de_hell.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 524
...another piccy...

riding in the Karoo...SA

Attachments

• de_hell_2.jpg
    de_hell_2.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 542
...another piccy...

Lisa gettin' wet (...behave!;) )

Attachments

• lisa_water_karoo.jpg
    lisa_water_karoo.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 535
Ah yes,but are you still an ocean going fcukwit,or has travel beaten that out of you now(no one can travel that far,surley:beerjug: )

...smooth talker!

Vern you 'smooth talking hampster humping knob-chomper', what a question...rest assured my Fcukwittedness is still in tact. Daily practice!

How are you? We haven't managed to log on for a while...got any gossip for us? And how's that lovely red 1100 of yours?

Cheers
Simon T:beerjug:

Excellent pics!

Btw, just curious, the shaft drive - what really broke? Universal joint or typically the bevel box bearing?

Let's hope you'll get laptop soon and some travel logs continue! ;)

Cheers, Margus :beerjug:

Hi Tsiklonaut,

No neither!!! We were riding hard in very deep sand and I actually managed to break the shaft itself. The shaft is two pieces, chemically bonded with a compressed rubber compound in the centre, which acts as a damper unit. I managed to break the bond, The units started moving at different speed and the friction heated the rubber, which just seaped out...hey presto, no movement at the back wheel.

Here's a couple of photos.

Cheers

Attachments

• workshop_montage.jpg
    workshop_montage.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 501
Hello Simon and Lisa: Good to hear yopuare still moving around. If I can be of any asystance regarding info on S. America, please let me know. My brother lives in Lima, Peru and I travelled several times all over the place. My favourite traveling place in the world. I'm asuming you already have aroute. Send the details and I will highlight the "do not miss" places...

Yosi Hi...

thanks for your kind offer, I'm sure we'll take you up on it.

We'll post or Pm you over the next week with what we had in mind and maybe you can point us in the right direction. We'll take all the advice we can.

Can't wait.

Cheers
Simon & Lisa T:beerjug:

Hi Simon and Lisa, wonder if we'll meet ? Coming over your way in a few months time for 6 months - will have to track your progress and see if you're anywere near us at any point. We're planning a circumnavigation of South America via wherever, whenever. Should speak to Yosi too I guess. Bon Voyage ! ;)

Hi Fritz,

where are youthinking of shipping into? We're in Buenos Aires rightnow waiting to clear the bikes from the dock. Hopefully we'll have them by next Thursday (23rd June). Feels very strange not to have themwith us.

If we can help inany way, please let us know it would be great to meet up. Stay in touch or check out www.2ridetheworld.com

Cheers

Wilco. Not due 'til late Sept so depends how long you're about. Shippng to same and intending a very long loop of where ever whenever, would be good to catch up - and in the way of the world we'll expect to bump into you in the most god forsaken spot during a crisis :D - PS is it getting cold there ? No plans for the far south during their winter (our so called summer) I assume ?

Back
Top Bottom