Why do people chose to use Tyre etc? And the Mapsource v BaseCamp debate

The Grey One

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I created this thread. This all started in a thread about routing problems, stemming from routes created in MotoGoLoco / Tyre, not reproducing themselves properly in a Nav VI device. Richard...

...did you try basecamp, just wondering as mapsource is said to be incompatible with newer devices.....

Mapsource works with all new devices, you just have to set them into mass storage mode! If the OP has Mapsource I can't see the point of using a third party system, which as has been pointed out, uses different maps. Why not just plan in Mapsource using the maps that will be on the device? Have I missed something, does this third party system do something special?

John

Have I missed something, does this third party system do something special?

Some bods prefer creating routes in Google maps, over using Garmin maps, so they use Tyre / Motogoloco. It's all down to personal preferences. Just like some bods sometimes like Open Street maps over Garmin maps and BaseCamp over Mapsource and visa-versa.

That their choice sometimes brings with it other problems, is another matter entirely.

Some bods prefer creating routes in Google maps, over using Garmin maps, so they use Tyre / Motogoloco. It's all down to personal preferences. Just like some bods sometimes like Open Street maps over Garmin maps and BaseCamp over Mapsource and visa-versa.

That their choice sometimes brings with it other problems, is another matter entirely.

There are no problems brought about by using Mapsource with Garmin maps, none! Mapsource is still available to download from Garmin. It really is down to preference in that case. I just wondered what this other systems does that is different/better, your reply does not address that.

John

There are no problems brought about by using Mapsource with Garmin maps, none! Mapsource is still available to download from Garmin. It really is down to preference in that case. I just wondered what this other systems does that is different/better, your reply does not address that.

John

I know that and you know that, so no need for the exclamation mark.

As to the advantages? The advantage, as far as the users of Tyre and MotoGoLoco see it, is that they do not have to use Garmin based mapping as made available in BaseCamp and / or Mapsource, which they loath with a passion * They can use jolly nice Google maps, which they like, a lot. I can't see why but hey, that's freedom of choice. Just like choosing Open Street maps over Garmin maps or Mapsource over BaseCamp and visa-versa; sometimes there is just no accounting for it.

That the use of non-Garmin software then sometimes brings with it all sorts of other issues (for all sorts of diverse reasons) is another matter entirely.

An additional advantage I imagine, is that the use of Google based mapping enables them to easily interface with the Google search engine when looking for 'stuff'; a luxury that is not open to them easily in Mapsource or BaseCamp. There's a thread on it somewhere with some bod ranting that Garmin should become Google or something like that.

* Maybe because they have been assured that BaseCamp is crap and they believe it. Who knows?

BaseCamp replaced Mapsource. Some love it & some hate it so it's your choice. The later only works with the Windows OS & it's not supported anymore. Both programs use the same maps as your device.

Mapsource has never worked on a Mac so there is no choice but Basecamp if you use a Mac.

As for unsupported, I think this is a non issue. Mapsource works fine but has not changed for years so its not supported in the sense that it is not being continually adapted. If, like me ,you find Mapsource meets your needs it is a good option. If you like what Basecamp offers use that, both systems work so it really is a matter of what suits the individual. If a Mapsource user has a problem with an installed version of Mapsource they can still download a new working version from Garmin. So in effect that is exactly the same as having a problem with Basecamp. If your version of Basecamp went wrong you would need to download a new one from Garmin they don't support by offering help to fix the problem on your computer.

John

Mapsource has never worked on a Mac so there is no choice but Basecamp if you use a Mac.

As for unsupported, I think this is a non issue. Mapsource works fine but has not changed for years so its not supported in the sense that it is not being continually adapted. If, like me ,you find Mapsource meets your needs it is a good option. If you like what Basecamp offers use that, both systems work so it really is a matter of what suits the individual. If a Mapsource user has a problem with an installed version of Mapsource they can still download a new working version from Garmin. So in effect that is exactly the same as having a problem with Basecamp. If your version of Basecamp went wrong you would need to download a new one from Garmin they don't support by offering help to fix the problem on your computer.

John

Garmin don't support BaseCamp issues?

Garmin don't support BaseCamp issues?

Not in the sense that they fix what you have. As I said if it fails you will be told to re install and you can do just the same if something goes wrong with your Mapsource. I agree they keep updating Basecamp but as Mapsource just works the fact it is not changing is a bonus!

John

I find mapsource really good, if I use base camp at all I first plan the route in mapsource, then copy over to basecamp, select the activity profile I want, set all the via points to dont announce and recalculate the route. I dont know if thats all necessary and only really do it if Im sharing the route with others who have garmin devices ?

I find mapsource really good, if I use base camp at all I first plan the route in mapsource, then copy over to basecamp, select the activity profile I want, set all the via points to dont announce and recalculate the route. I dont know if thats all necessary and only really do it if Im sharing the route with others who have garmin devices ?

You can make routes in Mapsource that automatically have unannounced via points. I do it all the time. Start and end as waypoints, allow Mapsource to create a route,having set your preferences (mine are usually "fastest route" "avoid motorways" and "avoid unmade roads") You can then drag and drop to create points along the way that will force the device to use the roads you want. Each time you drop on a road it make a via point which are not announced. If you drop the points slightly off the road Mapsource makes it a waypoint that show as a green dot on the screen. This is a very handy way of checking that everything is OK. Simply zoom in on any green dots and move the point.

John

There are also no real problems sharing routes made in Mapsource. Just make sure that everyone's device has the same settings.

I like Basecamp

For me it works well. It is all I have ever known since the start of my Bike GPS voyage.

I dont get why some folk use 3rd party software that, as Wapping points out, brings other problems.

I accept that Basecamp is not perfect, far from it, and there are many things i would like to see improved but it does work !

That leads into another subtopic of features and improvements needed to suit a users needs or usage wants but it has to remain generic for all

I use Mapsource simply because I've always used it! I know my way around it and never get 'stuck' or confused with it.

I did learn to use Basecamp before I found out the Mass Storage thing, then reverted back to Mapsource, but the one of main reasons for using either program is that there is no need for any internet connection...

So I can take my little notebook with both programs loaded, with the latest mapping, and create my custom routes anywhere I go, with no worry about lack of signal or data cost.

I use Mapsource simply because I've always used it! I know my way around it and never get 'stuck' or confused with it.

I did learn to use Basecamp before I found out the Mass Storage thing, then reverted back to Mapsource, but the one of main reasons for using either program is that there is no need for any internet connection...

So I can take my little notebook with both programs loaded, with the latest mapping, and create my custom routes anywhere I go, with no worry about lack of signal or data cost.

I agree, I have sat half way up a mountain with no mobile signal and no internet and worked out a new route on my notepad (major change of plans caused by unexpected road closures) before transferring it to the device. So much easier than trying to do it on the device.

John

Back
Top Bottom