MZ ETZ 250

fatnfast

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Collected this beauty Thursday night. It has a little history to it, so I'm going to give it a sympathetic tidy-up rather than a full restoration.
I bought it of the editor of Bike magazine, Hugo Wilson, and prior to him it seems to have done the rounds with at least one other journalist. Maybe that's not a good thing though!
Registered and sold by Burwins' MZ in 1990, it is a 1988 model, so proper DDR pre-Berlin wall collapse.
Burwins' carried out a few of their mods to it including electronic ignition, later carb, gpz master cylinder, hagon rear shocks, steel front rim and possibly a big bore/tuning job. All period mods that will stay.
Rides brilliantly, zips up to 60/70mph and no doubt a bit more, but I will fit new tyres first.
Here she is:

These bikes must be the most underrated of all time.

I had a 301 the same colour, and it used to fly. I sold it to a mate and he promptly
jet washed it, and had nothing but trouble!

Nice buy that. Have fun......

Ace...I like that. :thumb2

If Burwins have had their mitts on it,the engine's probably a 300cc now.

How about putting a nice crackly expansion chamber on it ?

MZ's Rule OK :thumb

Hope you get many miles'n smiles with it ...

i-fVNKh7J-L.jpg

My dad with his .... later to become mine (I had a 250 Supafive even before him)

i-TbWdsSz-L.jpg

Later to become my sons :D

i-7vSWDHZ-L.jpg

Real MZ's :D

Three generations of Wheeler's

i-VPx6vT5-L.jpg

:beerjug:

My BIL got nicked for speeding on an MZ, he said he didn't know what was more embarrassing,

Having to tell his employers he'd got a sp30 or them finding out he rode an MZ lol

Just asking is there a market for these bikes ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:roll:roll
Just asking is there a market for these bikes ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I owned one once.... £15 with mot and tax:barf
as for a market........
just one by the look of it
At least my mobylette is funny

Already done :thumb2 And there is a rally coming up at the end of September about 30 miles from me, so the plan is to attend that :).

Some great pics there Micky, the Super 5 is very cool. A chap on here contacted me as he is in the final stages of rebuilding his and was thinking of selling. I kind off got the impression he would rather keep it though.

Agent2494, yes there is certainly a market for MZ's, especially the 250s it seems. Prices are creeping up, the TS250's are pretty much £1000 for a good one. Early Trophy's are even more and are lovely and ugly.

When you consider even the most undesirable 70/80's Japs are fetching silly money, the MZ seems to be the last reasonable route into classic bike ownership. And the riders club is not bothered about originality, it more about using them :)

Hugo also gave me an expansion chamber, so that is an option as the original pipe is beyond help, although spares are really cheap and plentiful so I will proberbly keep it as it is.

What a lovely bike and my favorite colour and model. Dibs if you want to sell it.✌️
I've got the later less attractive version but it's still a German MZ ! Love them I'd like a garage full, I'd like a garage too (double) original.jpg

There is a big eastern block rally in holland at the end of this month if you pull ya finger out . I'm tempted to go myself.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is a big eastern block rally in holland at the end of this month if you pull ya finger out . I'm tempted to go myself.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sadly won't be able to do that one.

Led indicators removed and some more period style ones that I had lying about for years fitted.
Old silencer removed and a replacement ordered. The old one had a baffle rattling about inside and most of the chrome had long gone.

You can see the led that was fitted above the replacement right indicator.

Continued with going through the wiring and eliminating those horrible red/blue/yellow crimps with proper brass ones. The coil is externally mounted on the right engine side cover! It's made by the same manufacturer as the electronic ignition fitted, but why it's so large I haven't got a clue!? It's part of it charm and originality, so will get a minor clean and new crimps.

Next to receive attention was the dynamo output wires, which had been melting due to previous repairs and corrosion. New wires were pulled through the loom and nice shiney crimps fitted.

That's pretty much all the wiring sorted.
She starts fine and is now charging properly. Cosmetics are next, but no big repaint, just addressing any serious corrosion.

I had one once. Great fun.
I still have the complete tool kit if you are interested...

I won't bore you with pictures of rubbed down swingarms, ghastly electrics etc, but I put the finishing touches to the old MZ today with a rather fetching ammo box for my newly aquired (from a forum member, cheers David) full original toolkit. It's original place under the side panel is occupied by the electronic ignition black box. Work done includes new brake line, pads and Chinese copy Suzuki Gn125 master cylinder, seat cover, replacement rear wheel, new tyres, rubbing down and repainting odds and sods with whatever paint I had in the garage.
Worst bodge found? - one rear wheel bearing outer race was spinning n the hub, although someone had 'rectified' this by peening the alloy around it to hold it in place.
rQnu4sp.jpg

That looks a credit to you, paintwork has come up well. Plus that new silencer sets it off well

Back
Top Bottom