Wiring woes

John P

Reaction score
Hi All, still on with my rebuild – it’s taking longer than I’d hoped!

On inspecting my wiring harness before refitting it – looks worse than I thought. Damaged fuse box, burned out wires to starter relay, bodged up wires here and there, some rubbed through, damaged connectors and all the main wiring pretty brittle! Probably normal for a bike this age (24).

So…Do I have a go at making a new loom? I can get a generic fuse box, relay holder, connectors and wire. Has anyone got any advice?
I’ve looked at the m-unit but I think it’s more for custom builds and reducing switchgear etc. The fuzeblock from Nippy Norman is just a fancy fuse box at 3 or 4 times the price, so, simple replacement fuse box for me.

Does the wiring have to be the same rating as the original or do you move up to the next (higher) rating? Is this an improvement or does it make things worse/cause other problems?
Can you get hold of the little metal parts from the BMW connectors? Where?
And reuse the ones that go to components e.g. the flasher unit?

I know there has been some talk of m-units recently but to me it’s just more dark magic that I don’t understand! I rather stick with something close to the original system and the original switchgear. Thanks, John

Undoubtedly someone with more knowledge on the subject will be along shortly .
Would a Brand spankley new one be available from Someone of repute ?
Maybe Plug N Play is not your thang ?

The m-unit is a very good bit of kit. It elimates a lot of what can and will go wrong on old bikes. Having said that it is a whole lot easier to rewire the bike if you use one. You can keep the original sub looms from the switches, instruments etc but the main loom is best replaced with a custom one.

Back
Top Bottom