R1200GSA - Corrosion concerns

chutley

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been on KTM forums for years - ride enduro bikes. Currently on the Triumph Explorer forum - I ride a 2013 Explorer. Now I'm looking to move to an R1200GSA, so here I am with my first post - request for some advice.

I've ridden the GSA, loved the suspension and apparent quality. Engine is not as good as the Triumph, but the package seemed great. Triumph have also been brilliant in resolving any issues. But I fancy a change, and want to stick with a shaft-driven big touring machine.

I was close to placing an order for a GSA, and then I started reading the forums.... Appreciate all bikes have some issues, and people on forums generally highlight concerns rather than praise. But I am worried about the volume of warranty claims for corrosion issues.

Outside of warranty, that could be expensive. So would appreciate your experience of BMW support for dealing with the corrosion, and any other prevalent issue

Thanks

Dealers are giving 2 year warranty on used bikes, if you buy a 2 year old bike any corrosion will show up with in 4 years and BM warranty will deal with it (hopefully :D) speak to a Dealer

These bikes will literally dissolve in front of your eyes so if you are worried I wouldn't bother. If you love the bike and are willing to ride regardless of the fizzing corrosion happening beneath you then all is good.

I'm going through this at the moment, I've put my money down on a used GSA which is just under 2 years old. When viewing the bike I voiced my concerns about the corrosion and asked if the corrosion warranty was still valid. Straight away the sales guy asked if a warranty claim could be made prior to me buying it. 3 days later BMW approved the claim, and will supply new engine block heads and final drive before I collect it. Brilliant.
Corrosion on these is nothing new. My old 1100 GS was pretty bad after 3 years but that was mainly the front engine cover. Nobody seemed to bother about it back then. Used prices were still strong. I told the sales guy that if the claim was rejected I'd still buy the bike with a significant discount. A quick rub down and touch up is all I'd do. I am going to be using this bike for all sorts so no point being precious.
Besides for me personally this bike won't see another UK winter as I'll keep it somewhere warmer without salty roads for the winter...
To stop these corroding during the winter in the uk is possible but takes a bit of work.
Can't wait to get back to a GSA...:thumb

Hi Chutley,

I think everyone accepts that corrosion is just one of the things that go along with owning one. Doesn't seem to put people off paying good money for them still. I have the same issue, but it's never bothered me and the bike has never broken or let me down!

That's what you're paying for

Dealers are giving 2 year warranty on used bikes, if you buy a 2 year old bike any corrosion will show up with in 4 years and BM warranty will deal with it (hopefully :D) speak to a Dealer

I would like to think so but depends on dealer i guess. My local dealer is not being helpful when i showed them the engine casing corrosion on my 2014 GSA. Apparently it was not cleaned properly by the previous owner, therefore not BMW's problem. So a <3 year old globe trotting, off road rugged adventure bike can't take a bit of dirt without corroding?? Not impressed with their response on this ... i have an active thread on fb about this with pictures of the corrosion here https://www.facebook.com/groups/gsgiants/permalink/1307034016053548/?comment_id=1307036292719987

Hi Chutley,

I think everyone accepts that corrosion is just one of the things that go along with owning one. Doesn't seem to put people off paying good money for them still. I have the same issue, but it's never bothered me and the bike has never broken or let me down!

That's what you're paying for

I disagree on this point. When you pay £16k + for a quality bike that should be able to cope with all conditions, it should not corrode within a few years. Mine has been regularly cleaned and maintained but has significant engine casing corrosion, as its just out of warranty i having an up hill battle with BMW about..

I have a 2004 1200gs and a 2004 Tiger 955 and were both kept out on the street by previous owners and not cared for cosmetically, the Tiger has virtually no corrosion and has cleaned up really nice but the GS has corrosion everywhere, very poor quality for a supposed premium product.
If I ever go for a new bike this has put me off BMW along with the other problems.
Triumph for me in the future

Talking to a lad I know at the W/E, on his 3rd WC GS the latest one is 7mnts old, going in for a new engine this week. That's a 3 engines and 2 final drives in 3 bikes. Asked him why he sticks with BMW. His answer was he's sure of the warranty work being done. The mind boggles.

chutley. Have you had a look at the GEN 2 Explorer...it's a cracking bike. On my 2nd Explorer now. Latest one is the GEN 2. wouldn't even consider a GS.

I love the GSA's however they do rust, badly. You will need to do all you can to protect. Whats more DO NOT RELY on your Dealer. My last one I had for 20 months, it was treated with ACF50 but I made the mistake of not cleaning it before it went into the (dry) garage for 8 weeks whilst I was away. The corrosion was everywhere. Ocean BMW in Plymouth quoted over £11k to put it right and would not offer any help at all with regard to warranty!

I disagree on this point. When you pay £16k + for a quality bike that should be able to cope with all conditions, it should not corrode within a few years. Mine has been regularly cleaned and maintained but has significant engine casing corrosion, as its just out of warranty i having an up hill battle with BMW about..

In my experience in or out of warranty neither the dealer or BMW want to know

Your dealer is shit then, as plenty of dealers have liaised with BMW for successful claims.

My experience of BMW Motorrad is quite limited and recent. However, my local aftersales rep said (when he surprised me by deciding to sort a very minor corrosion issue by unit replacement under a £1k+ warranty claim) that if a bike was obviously well cared for they immediately replace whilst under warranty and very often outside it. If, in their opinion, the bike hasn't been well cared for, things are somewhat less straightforward. That doesn't seem an unreasonable stance, although my gleaming sub 1k mile LC really ought to have been a good candidate so only time will tell.

To be fair, my almost 20 year old VFR800 doesn't look materially much different to how the GS looks at a few months old and she shrugged off lots of long rides in mucky weather only to be left without washing in a dockyard for a bit before her return journey. Now there is a bike with build quality, although the CX500 I subjected to similar treatment didn't fair much worse. I doubt I'd get away with that with the GS and I am a little disappointed that its fixings and fasteners (eg torx heads) already have that dull patina that the VFR's only took on after very many years. Because of work commitments I cleaned the VFR properly only when the perfect opportunity presented itself (I'm not confident that the GS would allow that) and I can't help thinking that if she'd had the ACF50 treatment that the GS gets, she'd still be absolutely concourse instead of virtually pristine. I went for the GS in part to alleviate the cleaning burden presented by keeping my Triumph Thunderbird immaculate and didn't expect to have similar worries with such an outwardly rugged machine. Great ride though!

BMW really need to solution this problem they have with corrosion that is the only thing that will prevent me from buying a new one, I want to be out riding not spend my time worrying about having to spend my time cleaning it to stop it dissolving in front of my eyes, and so what if BMW might change this that or the other if it corrodes, I don't want to spend my time doing that either

BMW really need to solution this problem they have with corrosion that is the only thing that will prevent me from buying a new one, I want to be out riding not spend my time worrying about having to spend my time cleaning it to stop it dissolving in front of my eyes, and so what if BMW might change this that or the other if it corrodes, I don't want to spend my time doing that either
Agreed!

Back
Top Bottom