New member thinking of upgrading?

Norbsa

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,I'm fairly new to GS ownership having bought my 1150 18 months ago as an antidote to my pain in the arse (literally) cruiser.Needless to say I love the GS!
My problem is I rather stupidly did a very enjoyable off-road course on a 2016 GS1200.The result being a very strong desire to buy one.I can't so I am thinking of perhaps buying an earlier oil air model.Old enough to be reasonably cheap.
My question,is it worth it.I haven't ridden this model.What will I gain?Any years I should avoid?
I have searched the forum for comparison but haven't found any,though I'm sure there are...thanks for your thoughts?

5 mins in the WC section will convince that you may be stupid to do so

A TwinCam is another story and you will be happy with that

Hi,I'm fairly new to GS ownership having bought my 1150 18 months ago as an antidote to my pain in the arse (literally) cruiser.Needless to say I love the GS!
My problem is I rather stupidly did a very enjoyable off-road course on a 2016 GS1200.The result being a very strong desire to buy one.I can't so I am thinking of perhaps buying an earlier oil air model.Old enough to be reasonably cheap.
My question,is it worth it.I haven't ridden this model.What will I gain?Any years I should avoid?
I have searched the forum for comparison but haven't found any,though I'm sure there are...thanks for your thoughts?

Do you mean an oil air 1200 ? as your 1150 is Oil air ? the pre LC 1200 is a great bike advantages over your current bike is it is a bit more powerful and a bit lighter, the best one to go for is the Twin Cam model if you can run to that.

The resident BMW mechanic at the Hotel Enzian, Landeck, Austria where we stayed last year told me that in his opinion the twin cam was the best of any of the 1200's. I have a 56 plate 1200 which replaced my Ohlins equipped 1150, and in my view the 1150 was better. Your money so your choice, but the 1200's aren't light years ahead of a decent 1150.

I for one am getting a little bored with listening to the "older is better" brigade. I have owned seven GSes: 2 x 1100s, 1 x 1150 GSA, 3 x 1200 GSAs (two of which were twincams) and lastly my current bike, a 2014 GSA LC which is the best of the bunch in every respect, and represents progress in the evolution of the GS genre.

Last year, I decided to scratch the nostalgia itch and bought a 1997 1100 GS as a project. After many months and a sizeable amont of cash later I had a very nice riding bike which was admired wherever it went. But during the course of the project it highlighted to me many of the shortcomings of the older bikes, and while I kinda enjoyed the experience I have absolutlely no desire to repeat it and this bike now has a new owner.

I'm amazed at the prices the older bikes are allegedly fetching, particularly the 1150 adventures - it's crazy. People are reportedly paying 2010 twincam money for them. I think a twincam is undoubtedly the best of the non watercooled 1200 models and a very fine motorcycle.

But, as I have said, the GSA LC convinces me that it is the best yet. No doubt some will disagree.

I for one am getting a little bored with listening to the "older is better" brigade. I have owned seven GSes: 2 x 1100s, 1 x 1150 GSA, 3 x 1200 GSAs (two of which were twincams) and lastly my current bike, a 2014 GSA LC which is the best of the bunch in every respect, and represents progress in the evolution of the GS genre.

Last year, I decided to scratch the nostalgia itch and bought a 1997 1100 GS as a project. After many months and a sizeable amont of cash later I had a very nice riding bike which was admired wherever it went. But during the course of the project it highlighted to me many of the shortcomings of the older bikes, and while I kinda enjoyed the experience I have absolutlely no desire to repeat it and this bike now has a new owner.

I'm amazed at the prices the older bikes are allegedly fetching, particularly the 1150 adventures - it's crazy. People are reportedly paying 2010 twincam money for them. I think a twincam is undoubtedly the best of the non watercooled 1200 models and a very fine motorcycle.

But, as I have said, the GSA LC convinces me that it is the best yet. No doubt some will disagree.

Hear, hear.:thumb

It's mostly the owners of the older bikes spooling up negativity about the current bikes on here.:rolleyes:

Just because the 1150's are advertised for high prices, doesn't mean that people are actually paying high prices for them.;)

Hear, hear.:thumb

It's mostly the owners of the older bikes spooling up negativity about the current bikes on here.:rolleyes:

Just because the 1150's are advertised for high prices, doesn't mean that people are actually paying high prices for them.;)

Well the good ones seem to be moving quickly for £5k+ for a good 1150 GSA

Plenty of dross though for sub £4k

What are your views on airhead GS ?

Not much below £7k and some up higher

So some must be buying as the seller soon puts up Sold

Pity the new GS have so many 'issues'
& the WC section makes a dour read

I bought my WC new & it has its first MOT tomorrow, it had a new engine in August & since then it's covered 330 miles. I traded in a 55 plate GS to get it which I owned for a year covering 14,000 miles.

I preferred the 55 plate bike, I took it instead of the car on several journeys including commuting to London. I went there today but my GS stayed at home. I won't go back to an older bike, but I liked riding it more. Interestingly the chap I was meeting rode a W plate RT today, that made me think.

Back
Top Bottom