Wanted a route from Farnborough to Alston. I have 414 miles going west of Birmingham

dmilne

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As title. I have to get from 30 miles south of London to Alston. I'm going by bike so I really want to avoid M ways wherever possible.
London, the Midlands and Birmingham and Manchester are in the way, as well as Oxford, Coventry and Derby.
I do have a route I use regularly which goes well west via Shrewsbury, bit of M6 to Preston then across the Yorkshire Dales which avoids most of the main roads-414 miles.
Anyone have a more direct route which avoids the big towns and congested roads please?
Thank you!!

D

Jump on a ferry and go to the Ardennes but return via Le Havre and Portsmouth.

414 miles..

If your south of London, I would suggest the Euro Tunnel to Calais; from there to Amsterdam is about 200 miles iirc..Then the ferry to Newcastle upon Tyne.

From Newcastle to Alston is only about 45 miles so that's a shorter route by 169 miles..:thumb2

If your south of London, I would suggest the Euro Tunnel to Calais; from there to Amsterdam is about 200 miles iirc..Then the ferry to Newcastle upon Tyne.

From Newcastle to Alston is only about 45 miles so that's a shorter route by 169 miles..:thumb2

This is the correct answer, avoiding nearly all the difficult bit north of Farnborough in one crafty side step.

Back
Top Bottom