car gps

rovert57

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I use a garmin nuvi sat nav on the bike , but was wondering if leaving it connected would do it any harm , the bike specific sat nav seem designed to be permanantly connected .

Well not quite-if you have it correctly wired and it's a GS or similar, it will switch off when can bus goes to sleep
Either way it will do no harm left connected

i doubt you mean you leave it on the bike when your not actually on the bike......some expensive car sat navs turn off the power and let the battery go down then power up again....this is done so as to not damage the battery....if any battery is kept on charge constantly itll develop a memory....then usually will go flat quickly..
ive got a zumo and while its on the bike yes its always powered....imo thatll eventually kill the battery...like if you leave a laptop plugged in.it will shorten the life of the battery...i normally leave my zumo on in the house till it nearly goes flat..then itll charge up again while on the bike...hopefully thatll help my battery life...

All the (many) satnavs I have/had switched themselves off when they sense a loss of power and this may have contributed to a shortened battery life in the past but with Lion batteries memory effect is apparently insignificant.

Only use the satnav on battery if looking at routes while having a coffee etc, never been an issue

Back
Top Bottom