What to look for when considering F650

EVskij

Hand-crafting clients' ideas in real time
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A friends dad looking considering purchasing F650 for few green lane rides and odd ride here and there.

He asked me for advice, but I know nothing about these bikes and would appreciate if you could help.

Thank you.

EV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Head bearings fail.
Stator can burn out.
Batteries also can fail ( on early models)
Early ones had chocolate chains & sprockets ( should be sorted by now )
I'm on my fourth now ( 700GS )
And the twin disc & ESA suspension upgrades, are worth while..

Ash has it about right. Mine has just had original head bearings replaced at 36k but many have had two or three sets in that time. Easy job though. Alternators are a weak spot but the rotor was updated at some point in 2012. There are a few firms which do rewinds for way less than OE. Excellent bikes and very underrated I think.

Thank you guys

Are we talking about the single or twin, looks to me as if the above comments are directed at the latter.

TWIN PLEASE! The F650

Not G650

I run a 2012 F650GS SE, in bumblebee colours. Used a general hack, it's a great little bike & copes 2-up suprisingly well. It's economical (if that matters), handling is quick & it soaks up the bumps OK on stock suspension. At present I am tending to use it more than my Super 10.

Stock suspension is very basic and will nosedive if the front brake is applied too vigorously.

My wife's bike has a Wilburs shock and progressive springs fitted. I'm going to fit "intiminators" in the forks soon to sort out the dive under braking.

Other than that it's a cracking wee bike.

I have on05 650 single . It started life at the off road school. And I have continued its abuse, batteries don't last long but anew one is about 40 every other year . Fork seals and rear brakes have been other issues . But I can go on a ride out with the sports bikes one day and then go home and herd cattle or chase my son on his Ktm 450 . Every bit of plastic is damaged to greater or lesser extent. But I'm not frightened of scratching it and it isn't worth a lot , not like taking your shiney 1200 down a lane and doing 500 quids damage on the first rut.
Having said that I'm probably going to replace it for something smaller, not because the bike has any issues, just my frame is getting a bit knackered especially the knees.

I've had a 650 twin and now a 700. As Ash said, bearings can go quite early (mine did around 9,000 miles), there's the ever present paint peeling from the underside or front of sump casing (not seen a 3+ year old F800 series bike without at least a bit of peeling paint) and the stock chain is poor quality. Watch out for scrapes on the rear pegs as the hangers are welded to the rear subframe, so not removable. Battery can go suddenly, fine one day and dead the next. Otherwise pretty bulletproof. F650 has 3 button indicator switches, single front brake disc, 700 has single indicator and twin front discs but I could live without the ESA - been on comfort since the day I got it and you still have to adjust the preload manually when you load up. Probably better resale value with it, though.

I've had a 650 twin and now a 700. As Ash said, bearings can go quite early (mine did around 9,000 miles), there's the ever present paint peeling from the underside or front of sump casing (not seen a 3+ year old F800 series bike without at least a bit of peeling paint) and the stock chain is poor quality. Watch out for scrapes on the rear pegs as the hangers are welded to the rear subframe, so not removable. Battery can go suddenly, fine one day and dead the next. Otherwise pretty bulletproof. F650 has 3 button indicator switches, single front brake disc, 700 has single indicator and twin front discs but I could live without the ESA - been on comfort since the day I got it and you still have to adjust the preload manually when you load up. Probably better resale value with it, though.

Great bit of info there. I shall pass it on. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom