Basecamp reports map versions different to NAV 5? Why?

ianm00

Reaction score
Hi,

My NAV5 reports having the following maps installed. I get this report by using the nav5 menu: Settings-> Map & Vehicle->Mymaps.

CN Europe NTU
2018.10 ALL South

CN Europe NTU
2018.10 ALL North

CN Europe NTU
2018.10 3D

This is expected.

However when displaying in basecamp it says the device maps are:
City Navigator Europe NTU 2018.1 (Internal Storage)
City Navigator Europe NTU 2017.2 (Memory Card)
City Navigator Europe NTU 2018.1 (Memory Card)

Why doesn't basecamp report the same versions as the NAV5? Im confused?

Thanks

Ian

Hi,

My NAV5 reports having the following maps installed. I get this report by using the nav5 menu: Settings-> Map & Vehicle->Mymaps.

CN Europe NTU
2018.10 ALL South

CN Europe NTU
2018.10 ALL North

CN Europe NTU
2018.10 3D

This is expected.

However when displaying in basecamp it says the device maps are:
City Navigator Europe NTU 2018.1 (Internal Storage)
City Navigator Europe NTU 2017.2 (Memory Card)
City Navigator Europe NTU 2018.1 (Memory Card)

Why doesn't basecamp report the same versions as the NAV5? Im confused?

Thanks

Ian

Looks like the 2017 maps haven't been removed during update.

I too see something similar with my Nav VI, which does not need an SD card.

I updated the maps, just as you have done. From within the device I can only select the latest maps, not the old ones. To all intents and purposes the old maps are not there.

But, when I plug the device into my Mac and enter BaseCamp it draws across from the device the latest maps AND the old maps. So they are there but invisible to me from within the device itself.

This is a new phenomenon, not something I have seen in earlier map updates. Does it bother me? No. Why? Because I don't let it. I just accept it as one of those things, not least as it doesn't stop my Nav VI working properly. Am I about to go fiddling about (as some do) within the device's operating systems and memory? No, sir.

Probably just a bug that was created when Garmin split the maps. It'll disappear in a future update no doubt

I think you may well be right, Ian. I haven't looked to see if the same thing is there with my Nav V, which does have an SD card in it.

I too see something similar with my Nav VI, which does not need an SD card.

I updated the maps, just as you have done. From within the device I can only select the latest maps, not the old ones. To all intents and purposes the old maps are not there.

But, when I plug the device into my Mac and enter BaseCamp it draws across from the device the latest maps AND the old maps. So they are there but invisible to me from within the device itself.

This is a new phenomenon, not something I have seen in earlier map updates. Does it bother me? No. Why? Because I don't let it. I just accept it as one of those things, not least as it doesn't stop my Nav VI working properly. Am I about to go fiddling about (as some do) within the device's operating systems and memory? No, sir.

It is strange if I use basecamp to delete the City Navigator Europe NTU 2017.2 from the Memory Card, then maps are missing on the NAV5. Re-installing the maps with Garmin Express puts it back again.

You are correct it doesn't bother me and everything works well. I was just trying to get to grips organising favourites and routes within basecamp and I thought maybe my maps are not installed correctly although as you say everything works. I will not delete any system files etc as I dont want to "brick" the NAV5 and will continue to use as is.

Does anyone know of any good help files for understanding data organisation in basecamp? Im getting confused with folders and lists. It seems lists can contain routes and favourites but folders can only contain lists and favourites. Also I believe only one copy of a favourite is stored but it may appear in many different lists.

Thanks

Ian

Back
Top Bottom