Buying an early RT 1200

Big Den

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So always fancied one and the lad wants to start coming with me, found one local 30k 2006 servo, fully loaded but I don't know enough about these and don't want to buy trouble. I am trying to stop turd polishing and spend more time riding any advice or is it best to avoid the early ones ? Thanks

At that mileage you may soon want to consider upgrading the shocks, especially if riding two up

Have a look at the footpeg hanger panels - a combination of sharp edges and exhaust vibration often causes the coating to crack and allow corrosion to creep underneath

Usual engine front cover issues

Otherwise a good touring choice

Personally I'd try & find/afford a later bike.
There's a reason the servo was ditched, & it wasn't because it was such a good reliable system..............

Earlier air head is proving much more reliable than the later water cooled RT's based on our fleet. I have an 07 RTP with 50,000 miles now and still going strong with no issues. Leave the servo til it's a problem then ditch it.

SB

Earlier air head is proving much more reliable than the later water cooled RT's based on our fleet. I have an 07 RTP with 50,000 miles now and still going strong with no issues. Leave the servo til it's a problem then ditch it.

SB

Agree 100%. JJH

Get one, I chopped in my 2006 (with servo which gave me no problems in 9 years of ownership of the bike) 2 RT LC's later and I still regret getting rid of the 2006 bike. Went through 8 winters on it and the only corrosion was the footpeg carriers. Brilliant bike, you won't regret it if you find a good one!

SB

On a point of pedantry, an '07 RTP is not an "Air-head", it's an "oil-head". I suspect your last fleet air-heads were R80RT's. Now they are a reliable bike. What you haven't got can't go wrong.

Selling my 57 plate fully loaded NON SERVO R12 RT: https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...m/forums/showthread.php?t=449185&share_type=t

Now with MOT no advisories since advert was posted. Haven't done much to sell it but been offered a reasonable ish part ex against a NC750X DCT. Might suit me better to sell it privately and you should get a good deal if it floats yer boat... would be well over £5k in a dealer (closer to £6k in some). PMd you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On a point of pedantry, an '07 RTP is not an "Air-head", it's an "oil-head". I suspect your last fleet air-heads were R80RT's. Now they are a reliable bike. What you haven't got can't go wrong.

I stand corrected sir, I shouldn't type posts at the end of a long day when brain
has already gone to sleep. My wife though says that is a continuous state for me at any time of the day.

Thanks for all the advice gents, I now own a fully loaded RT freshly mot'ed and serviced. Fingers crossed its a good one :nenau time and miles will tell :thumb2

Thanks for all the advice gents, I now own a fully loaded RT freshly mot'ed and serviced. Fingers crossed its a good one :nenau time and miles will tell :thumb2

Well done !

Do you mind sharing the details?

I have a 2007 RT and I'm interested to see what it's worth in the real world (compared to the prices and specs in the dealer world).

You'll love it two-up. All day comfort and so easy to ride.

Steve.

There were many 06/07 models about in the £4k range, ex plod 09's with 30k 'ish were £3800. Mileage 20-40k on the private ones. Mine has radio/CD, full luggage with chrome rack on topbox, tie downs on all boxes, ESA, custom heated seats, SERVO :eek:, paint protection, knee pads, front crash bars, chrome exhaust, grips, cruise, fender extender. I know all 3 previous owners and have all docs including original bill of sale.
Its not perfect but probably will be by the time I've finished with it :rolleyes:

In to main dealer for 2 x recalls this weekend, fuel pump and rear hub.

Fingers crossed its a good one :thumby:

There were many 06/07 models about in the £4k range, ex plod 09's with 30k 'ish were £3800. Mileage 20-40k on the private ones. Mine has radio/CD, full luggage with chrome rack on topbox, tie downs on all boxes, ESA, custom heated seats, SERVO :eek:, paint protection, knee pads, front crash bars, chrome exhaust, grips, cruise, fender extender. I know all 3 previous owners and have all docs including original bill of sale.
Its not perfect but probably will be by the time I've finished with it :rolleyes:

In to main dealer for 2 x recalls this weekend, fuel pump and rear hub.

Fingers crossed its a good one :thumby:

Thanks, Den.

On the last service I had done, the dealer asked me if I wanted the throttle bodies balanced, as it was recommended for this service (17,500 miles, 10 years). The valves clearances were adjusted at the same time. Between them, these two thing made a huge difference to the bike. Much better, and much quieter, acceleration. Almost like a new bike.

Good luck with your RT.

Steve.

Early 1200rts

Have a 2005 model with 50,000 miles on it.
My only regret about it is that I did not buy one with cruise control.
Makes journeys less fraught if there are speed limits.

On to the bike and what has or has not been done to it:
I change the oil and oil filter every October.
That's it, other than tyres and rear brake pads (Goldfren -Ebay - Dirt cheap - excellent)
Before anyone asks: No, I have never checked, never mind changed the oil in either the rear hub or gearbox, nor changed the bloody brake fluid.
I have never washed the bike either.
What has gone wrong:
Started missing at circa 20,000. New plugs cured it.
Fuel pump controller at circa 22,000.
At circa 45,000 a crack appeared in left hand footrest. Bought a second hand one off Motorworks.
Gear position indicator has occasional hiccups at present, but too much effort to replace it.
Good, troublefree bike.
Round Europe every year.
I never check oil level from one year's end to the next. It does not use oil.

The occasional one has servo problems, but only a small percentage.
Like the rear hubs, if you have a good one, you have a good one.
If you have a bad one, no amount of oil changing or brake fluid changing is going to fix it or extend it's life.
Myke

That's a comforting and informative post thanks. I am hoping I have a good one, it is currently in the BM dealers for recalls on wheel hub and fuel pump, both being replaced FOC. I have asked that they change the final drive oil and give it a diagnostic while its in.
In the meantime I am pottering about on a F800 GT :D there were two very reasonably priced K1600 in there but would that be frying pan fire scenario :eek: :D

Back
Top Bottom