Portugal - quiet coastal place for a couple of days?

MattW

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Me and my other half are off to Spain and Portugal in mid June.

I've more or less sorted out a decent route south (I hope) through Portugal thanks to Wappings '7 routes' in the stickies above and kind recommendations in the thread I posted below (and the 'Ride' routes).

We fancy a couple of days chilling out on a beach (or at least in a coastal location) as we head north for a few days in Santiago De Compostella to finish out trip.

Can anyone recommend a 'nice' coastal place between Lisbon and Porto? I know there's a *lot* of coast between Lisbon and Porto but never having been to Portugal, it's all new to us. We'd ideally be looking for something quieter, not too crammed with package tourists - just a place for 2 or 3 nights to relax, catch some rays and indulge in some good seafood.

Any recommendations gratefully received.
Cheers
Matt

Have a look at Figueira da Foz Or Nazare. Nazare has a upper and a lower towns. Great views from upper. Famous beach with world surfers.
A little further north form Porto, still on way to Santiago. You could stay at Vila do Conde or Povoa de Varzim (get a bit busier aat weekends)
You could stop at Viana do Castelo for a coffee before entering Spain... its a nice old town and has some traditional beautiful jewellery.

Have a look at Figueira da Foz Or Nazare. Nazare has a upper and a lower towns. Great views from upper. Famous beach with world surfers.
A little further north form Porto, still on way to Santiago. You could stay at Vila do Conde or Povoa de Varzim (get a bit busier aat weekends)
You could stop at Viana do Castelo for a coffee before entering Spain... its a nice old town and has some traditional beautiful jewellery.

Thanks Joca :thumb2

Good suggestions from Joca.

If you go to Viana, take a ride/funicular up to the viewpoint at Monte de Sta Luzia, just to the north of the town. There is a nice Pousada up there, with a pool, if you have the time for a stop-over.

I intend to go a similar route in May 2018. If you find a nice hotel with secure parking, please send me the details.

Have a good trip

Good suggestions from Joca.

If you go to Viana, take a ride/funicular up to the viewpoint at Monte de Sta Luzia, just to the north of the town. There is a nice Pousada up there, with a pool, if you have the time for a stop-over.

Great - thanks :thumb2

I intend to go a similar route in May 2018. If you find a nice hotel with secure parking, please send me the details.

Have a good trip

Will do :)

Me and my other half are off to Spain and Portugal in mid June.

I've more or less sorted out a decent route south (I hope) through Portugal thanks to Wappings '7 routes' in the stickies above and kind recommendations in the thread I posted below (and the 'Ride' routes).

We fancy a couple of days chilling out on a beach (or at least in a coastal location) as we head north for a few days in Santiago De Compostella to finish out trip.

Can anyone recommend a 'nice' coastal place between Lisbon and Porto? I know there's a *lot* of coast between Lisbon and Porto but never having been to Portugal, it's all new to us. We'd ideally be looking for something quieter, not too crammed with package tourists - just a place for 2 or 3 nights to relax, catch some rays and indulge in some good seafood.

Any recommendations gratefully received.
Cheers
Matt

We went to Estoril one year , for the moto Gp. The area around Sintra is very nice, we also stopped down near Praia Da Cresmina in the national park. It's supposed to be the farthest point west, in Europe. The beach was stunning, the waves huge, and the rip very powerfull. Loads of young surfer dudes, and a well laid back atmosphere. Do yourself a favour and check it out. If you get in the water, make sure you have plenty of sex wax on yer stick dude.:beerjug:

+1 for Nazare, very pleasant.

Chipping in on the heading North part, there's a short ferry at Caminha over to Spain, and the run up to Baiona is lovely (as is Baiona by the way) :thumb

Enjoy, such a lovely part of the world.. in fact heading there again at the end of June :)

We went to Estoril one year , for the moto Gp. The area around Sintra is very nice, we also stopped down near Praia Da Cresmina in the national park. It's supposed to be the farthest point west, in Europe. The beach was stunning, the waves huge, and the rip very powerfull. Loads of young surfer dudes, and a well laid back atmosphere. Do yourself a favour and check it out. If you get in the water, make sure you have plenty of sex wax on yer stick dude.:beerjug:

+1 for Nazare, very pleasant.

Chipping in on the heading North part, there's a short ferry at Caminha over to Spain, and the run up to Baiona is lovely (as is Baiona by the way) :thumb

Enjoy, such a lovely part of the world.. in fact heading there again at the end of June :)

Thanks guys :thumb2

This is a biased view but do stop at the medieval town of obidos on your way north. Right next to it is foz do Arelho with a sea lagoon and Atlantic beach. As already suggested, Nazaré is very nice. Lots of places for good sea food. This area is about my favourite place in the world to eat..

This is a biased view but do stop at the medieval town of obidos on your way north. Right next to it is foz do Arelho with a sea lagoon and Atlantic beach. As already suggested, Nazaré is very nice. Lots of places for good sea food. This area is about my favourite place in the world to eat..

Thanks bingbong - we'll certainly take a look at obidos. Foz do Arehlo looks good too - might look for somewhere to stay there :thumb2

Try the hotel Agua d'alma in foz do Arelho if you want to be near the beach and a few cafes and restaurants.
https://www.aguadalma.pt Also on booking.co etc. If you do stay around here and I'm back from work I'll gladly stand you a beer or recommend the best places to eat. Have a great trip.

Try the hotel Agua d'alma in foz do Arelho if you want to be near the beach and a few cafes and restaurants.
https://www.aguadalma.pt Also on booking.co etc. If you do stay around here and I'm back from work I'll gladly stand you a beer or recommend the best places to eat. Have a great trip.

Brilliant - thanks!

Best beaches are in Algarve, between Lisboa and Porto the main stream beaches are in Nazaré, due the surfers, from there you have the "Estrada Atlantica" that crosses long the cost and it's pretty nice!

Best beaches are in Algarve, between Lisboa and Porto the main stream beaches are in Nazaré, due the surfers, from there you have the "Estrada Atlantica" that crosses long the cost and it's pretty nice!

41.677355, -8.176571 - stayed a night here on my way back through Spain a year or so ago, great area for riding and dirt cheap.

41.677355, -8.176571 - stayed a night here on my way back through Spain a year or so ago, great area for riding and dirt cheap.

That's Geres, oar biggest nacional park. great curvy roads there!

Back
Top Bottom