"I've bought a cheap airhead off ebay", says a customer

Steptoe

What a waste.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
"I've bought a cheap airhead off ebay, the clutch is slipping and there's a slight oil leak from the engine, will you have a look at it for me", says a customer.
Who then adds "how much are the repairs going to be because i haven't much money, hence why i bought a cheap 1982 BMW off ebay".

The clutch is fecked. The pushrod tubes are rotten. The main stand is worn out as are the stand lugs in the frame. The engine rattles like a good'un. The cylinderhead exhaust nut threads are very suspect.
I've ignored the black emulsion paint covering up all the frame rust.

Which proves (along with several other fine examples i've been presented with over the last year) that there's no such thing as a cheap BMW off ebay.

It's currently parked up here at a precarious angle on it's fecked side stand hemorrhaging engine oil while he decides what to do.

Don't forget the exhaust tape and silly seat; some hipster twat will pay gazillions for it.

The moral, if there is one; spend money up front getting someone like Steptoe to give you an unbiased view.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Driving along yesterday, I saw a black 1982 R75/6 (I think or a 75/5) on a car garage forecourt - nice enough 'patina' etc and not mint - 29k so the garage owner said and it looked like that sort of miles

How much £4500:eek:

Closer inspection, the pushrod tubes were leaking and so was the head gasket on the opposite side

So, a bit of work to make it oil tight

It was just a run of the mill, nowt special spoked wheel roadster that would have been £2k at best 5 years ago............now it's £4500

Garage was not far from Florence either:augie

:D

Not BMW I know but reminded me when I have bought classic bikes in the past ,cheap is nearly always cheap for a reason . I have heard plenty of tales similar to matey with his BMW. I paid top wack for a BSA Super Rocket a few years back and it still took me about a year to get used to its foibles, but now some 5 years and 5000 miles later its a cracker . I just get it out of the garage ,ride it and put it back till next time,maybe a wipe over to keep it looking tidy. Theres a moral there unless you really know what your doing ,Steptoe does but many of us probably dont .so steer clear of bargains.

Driving along yesterday, I saw a black 1982 R75/6 (I think or a 75/5) on a car garage forecourt - nice enough 'patina' etc and not mint - 29k so the garage owner said and it looked like that sort of miles

How much £4500:eek:

Closer inspection, the pushrod tubes were leaking and so was the head gasket on the opposite side

So, a bit of work to make it oil tight

It was just a run of the mill, nowt special spoked wheel roadster that would have been £2k at best 5 years ago............now it's £4500

Garage was not far from Florence either:augie

:D

1982? I thought they stopped making the /6 in 76. Maybe that's why it was so expensive:augie

I got my 90/6 off eBay for about £800 a few years ago, looked at it in the lockup for a couple of years, then redundancy got me going, a year later and lots of cash, ended up with a very nice bike. Airheads done properly are never cheap. Parts are 2x britbikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's clearly going to be a disaster if you don't know what you are looking at and to need to get someone else to do even basic repairs.

On the other hand if you know what you are looking at and can fix it up yourself then an airhead can only appreciate in value. Most (not all) of thecommon faults can be be repaired relatively cheaply. If I was tempted then I would anticipate at least the same cost again as the purchase price to get it up to scratch.

Wasn't Rob Farmer , was it ? :D
:hide

Neil sold me this gem a few years back. Immaculate condition, 1 previous owner, fantastic opportunity to own an appreciating classic :D

R80Old1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom