Test ride an RT tomorrow

Still torn really.

The demonstrator was great but I'm using a 60 plate Blood Bike at the moment with 64k miles on her and with the lights etc probably adding to the weight.

She seems to wallow like a pig and doesn't feel at all 'right' cornering but it might just be me being used to a GS.

Probably chalk and cheese between the two bikes so may have another test ride.

How old are the shocks ? If they are the originals they will be long past their best.

Probably past their best.

Only picked her up this morning for a week, as the regular user has gone to the IOM so really don't know.

The bikes are serviced and maintained regularly but, apart from that, I have no idea.

I suspect you're right though, a new bike should be far better handling wise.

I bought a 2014 RT LC and have never for one second regretted that decision, I ride one up, and take off the panniers but use a top box, unless I need extra luggage. Living way up in the Highlands, I have a long way to go to get anywhere so tourer is my choice.
I cannot really see how BMW can improve this bike, it's great on twisties and long runs, it has all the options available at the time, what's not to like ?

Well after slowly getting used to the old RT that I 'borrowed' for about 500 miles, I've bitten the bullet and placed an order today.

Went for white in the end.

I just know that the RT will be more suitable for the poorer weather commute and tours.

Cheers All !

Good decision! Just got back yesterday from riding the twisties in the Eifel mountains over the weekend, and did a further 200 miles of Hampshire Wiltshire and other back roads today - and the RT hasn't missed a beat. And it weighs very little more than the Adventure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoy the bike.
I have owned my new rt for a month now and done just over 400 miles. Really nice bike and very pleased with it.
I went for carbon black though. Liked white too mind you
This replaced the fjr.

Did you try the new FJR before buying and, if so, how did the two compare?

Things haven't gone as planned.

After agreeing a price and trade in, it turns out that the dealer couldn't find a white bike, so rather than contact me to give me the options of another colour, they simply didn't process the order whilst I was away - and then said that they couldn't supply a price at that price anymore.

Now I thought that I had a contract but the dealer seems to think otherwise, so back to square one I think and probably from a different dealer.

Try a different dealer, we have a 2015 FJR as a blood bike. Nice bike but not a patch on the RT and quite expensive to service. 2016 has the 6th gear which helps. Try CW in Dorchester, good dealer and distance doesn't really matter, they will deliver.

Try a different dealer, we have a 2015 FJR as a blood bike. Nice bike but not a patch on the RT and quite expensive to service. 2016 has the 6th gear which helps. Try CW in Dorchester, good dealer and distance doesn't really matter, they will deliver.

Agreed on CW ! Quite a few of the guys in Guernsey and Jersey use them as the local dealers are arrogant arseholes.Infact I bought my last new BMW from them,a K1300S in 2008.

Don't know why most BMW dealers are so arrogant-been into N Oxford a couple of times with a mate who lives nearby and you can literally walk in and spend 10 minutes walking round the bikes without one of the bearded tits asking if you have any questions/need help etc.

It's become a bit of a sport just to pop in there !!

Sorry missed the question.

I loved the fjr but once I jumped on the rt I loved it more. Only one gripe and that was the seat is not as comfy. I'm sure that can be fixed but that's my only gripe. Great bike otherwise.

Sorry to hear the deal went wrong with your dealer.

I know it's to far for you but I delt with Aberdeen John Clark. This is a new motorrad dealer and I had the first rt since they opened. I think I got a cracking deal but they did say buying in business at that time.

Delt with Simon and Dave both nice guys.

Hope you get sorted with a better dealer. Don't let it put you off the bike.

Sorry missed the question.

I loved the fjr but once I jumped on the rt I loved it more. Only one gripe and that was the seat is not as comfy. I'm sure that can be fixed but that's my only gripe. Great bike otherwise.

Sorry to hear the deal went wrong with your dealer.

I know it's to far for you but I delt with Aberdeen John Clark. This is a new motorrad dealer and I had the first rt since they opened. I think I got a cracking deal but they did say buying in business at that time.

Delt with Simon and Dave both nice guys.

Hope you get sorted with a better dealer. Don't let it put you off the bike.

I had a GS briefly (29 days) before it was stolen just before a touring holiday in early March and rented an RT, weather was mainly good but occasional days of non stop rain. The RT was excellent for protection against the elements, I was nipping around on some tiny roads in Yorkshire and Lake District and next on motorway- very versatile.

For my replacement bike I went with upgrade from GS to GSA, one benefit being better weather protection and just liked the look of the GSA TB.

Sounds like you have explored the options and came to an informed decision. RT is an absolute mile muncher and great fun when you want to push it - good choice!!

Reminds me of the time I went into Calterdons Inverness (now Arnold Clarks).

I wondered around the showroom, and then went ask one of the 3 salesman sat behind desks doing nothing whether I could discuss buying a new bike ?

Oh, we don't deal with bikes was the reply.

I sent an email to Motorrad, and had 6 calls from them the following day, eventually they got through and wanted to know why I couldn't buy a new bike so I told what a bunch of arrogant arsoles they were.

They really don't help themselves at times, yet I really like the sales guys at Chester and Manchester.

Apparently, we're now looking at a factory order so 6-8 or possibly 10 weeks.

Must say that I'm very impressed with the new FJR that I'm using currently as a blood bike. Seems lighter and more nimble so might just jump ship.

Found one at Williams Manchester and due by the end of the month !

Cheers All !

Love mine...But not impressed after 23 months to be quoted £400/year for BMW warranty from now on. Makes me uneasy about BMW quality today if they are saying this is worthwhile for their customers.

My thoughts too, and its just gone up. It does say other insurance are available from other companies.

That includes BMW rescue though, knock that off and it comes down a bit. The only claim I had was for the exhaust flap thingy stuck, which was not covered by BMW warranty and resulted in £1200 of new headers, which luckily my dealer replaced under good will, with a £60 contribution from me.

Back
Top Bottom