Test ride an RT tomorrow

6 Gs's and 4 RT's over the years and I can't get a fag packet between them, both brilliant but very minor differences. Presently on a 2015 RT and just toured down to Monaco and back with the Mrs and all her luggage, can't think of a better bike to do it on except perhaps a new GSA. Would prefer my 91 GS for the cols though, particularly dropping down into Monaco.

Just finalising any extras and so, apart from pipe and slippers, engine bars and crud catcher, what else would you add?

It's the LE so pretty well spec'd anyway.

I wouldn't fit engine bars, cylinder head protectors good though. I would also fit the aux lights, they are brilliant when riding along lanes at night. The Akro can makes it sound nice, but pretty expensive now. I also fitted a Werks Quiet ride screen, much better than standard, but again quite expensive now as you can only ship from the States. I also fitted some Skene P3 rear lights, so when not using the top box, had a higher intensity brake and running light.

Already ordered the bars from NN so ooops.

Not ordered a top box but pricing up the aux lights.

Is Nav 6 much better than Nav 5?

I wouldn't fit engine bars, cylinder head protectors good though. I would also fit the aux lights, they are brilliant when riding along lanes at night. The Akro can makes it sound nice, but pretty expensive now. I also fitted a Werks Quiet ride screen, much better than standard, but again quite expensive now as you can only ship from the States. I also fitted some Skene P3 rear lights, so when not using the top box, had a higher intensity brake and running light.

Sounds a nice set up, any pictures?

Not sure about Nav V vs VI, the VI has a larger screen and is supposed to be better for glare, if compatible in price, buy the latest tech. Do a search on here, there have been a few threads on V vs VI. On the engine bars front, the bars need to be removed for servicing so puts of the cost a bit. Also read another thread where someone had ordered bars from NN and kept getting two left hand ones, so hopefully yours will be a pair. Have a look on 1200RT.com a few have fitted engine bars on there, popular with our US cousins.

Just finalising any extras and so, apart from pipe and slippers, engine bars and crud catcher, what else would you add?

It's the LE so pretty well spec'd anyway.

In recent years I've had my various bikes protected by 3M Ventureshield. Saves the paintwork from chipping, & money well spent IMO.

I had mine fitted by these guys. Although cars are their bread & butter they are motorcycle enthusiasts. http://bodyguarduk.com/

I fitted bumpers to the RT boxes (panniers), they are a standard part, means if you happen to catch the side of the box, it stops the box getting scratched......

:blast

Bumpers are good, although if you are not bothered about BMW oem, Halfords sell car ones that fit really well and are a lot cheaper and do the same job

No crash bars on mine.

Regret not ordering the (hugely expensive) audio option.

Bought my top box and Nav V in Belgium whilst on a long weekend bike trip there and the saving vs UK paid for the whole trip! (Mind you, €1.42=£ when I bought them Aug 2015 )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I fitted the pannier bars and engine bars. Top box with brake light, fender extender and the wunderlich side stand enlarger.

Going to fit some aux lights in due course once I can get a set at a decent price.

I have the nav v which I think is fine

Enjoy the bike

I bought a 2014 RT LC and have never for one second regretted that decision, I ride one up, and take off the panniers but use a top box, unless I need extra luggage. Living way up in the Highlands, I have a long way to go to get anywhere so tourer is my choice.
I cannot really see how BMW can improve this bike, it's great on twisties and long runs, it has all the options available at the time, what's not to like ?

I agree entirely!
Just back from two weeks tour with my pal in the Tyrol and Vosges mountains. Both on 2014 RT LC.
Smooth as anything on the motorway trek down and up again but remove the panniers and this bike will hustle trough the twisties and hairpins. Spent most of the time trying to get the pegs down and then finally on the last day managed a wee scrape on a right hander. This bike does everything. In saying that I always have an internal discussion on what other bikes I'd like to have?

the rt is a great "all round" bike, its no wider than my transalp 600 when filtering. in fact the mirrors are in a better position as they are lower. even with the panniers the rt is fine for filtering. its no wider than the mirrors. ive taken it to the alps, the pyrennese and the picos and it handles the twisties great, probably not like a sports bike, but pretty damn good. in my opinion they are better looking than the gs. the weather protection, screen, heated grips, cruise control are brilliant. and im not an old fart (yet)

Well swap over next Tuesday.

Went for Nav 6, engine bars and aux lights.

Just in time for a trip up to Scotland again.

Will bore you with photos when I can work out how too since photobucket may no longer be an option.

Don't know why most BMW dealers are so arrogant-been into N Oxford a couple of times with a mate who lives nearby and you can literally walk in and spend 10 minutes walking round the bikes without one of the bearded tits asking if you have any questions/need help etc.

It's become a bit of a sport just to pop in there !!

True story told to me by a friend of mine:

An old friend of his moved to Pidcocks BMW in Long Eaton . Said friend told his mate if he knew how he could sell more bikes. The new guy wanting to make an impression in his new position asks how?

" Say Hello'' when people walk in

salesman looks agog

Yes - its that easy

I fitted the pannier bars and engine bars. Top box with brake light, fender extender and the wunderlich side stand enlarger.

Going to fit some aux lights in due course once I can get a set at a decent price.

I have the nav v which I think is fine

Enjoy the bike

I am going to fit these, super bright from: alchemyparts.co.uk

Attachments

• 1__20790.jpg
    1__20790.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 336
Well, I picked her up from Williams Motorcycles yesterday morning and swapped over from my GS, which had done 10,000 miles over the last ten months.

First thoughts after doing 100 miles yesterday going back to the office and then a bit of a ride out last night:

Really impressed with the ride and handling. Far better weather protection and, whilst the bike looks huge, it seems to shrink when you climb aboard. It is surprisingly nimble for such a big bike and not heavy at all. It's also easier to move around when parking up etc than the GS.

It's very early days but, so far, I'm delighted with it.

Negatives so far:

I loved the leg position on the GS and struggle a bit with the RT. I know that the seat pushes your legs further apart than the GS but, on the higher setting I keep catching my legs on the pegs when I put my foot down and, on the lower setting, my knees are a bit cramped up and I am prone to cramp at times. So that's taking a bit of getting used to.

The dash is far clearer than the GS and the controls are pretty easy to work through. Central locking is brilliant and I didn't even though that I was getting it.

Mixed views on the mirrors. I like their position but guess I need to play around with them some more. Visibility from them is not as good as the GS, so quite a few more lifesavers.

Oh and avoiding wearing my white helmet as much as possible as I don't want to look like a copper.

So thanks for all the helpful comments.

Back
Top Bottom