First time off road with the GS

That looks like Killavullen. :)

Are you on AdvIrl.com? There's a lot of lads down that end of the country on it and they're all generous with advice for novices. It would be worth joining. (it's free. :D)

I'd suggest getting used to standing while riding first. The first time I stood up on a GS, I thought the same, but I got used to it after a day of riding.

Cheers bud... I'm registered but I guess I never posted anything, I'll have a look! It's an "undisclosed location" :)

No, seriously... my buddy took me there and I wouldn't know how to get back LOL

I'd suggest getting used to standing while riding first. The first time I stood up on a GS, I thought the same, but I got used to it after a day of riding.

I would second this, practice standing whenever you can, move around stood up and get used to how it feels, try one handed, no hands - all about finding the balance :thumb

If the bars are turned back too far you lose leverage and therefore have less control. Standing on the pegs feels terrible when bars are pulled back.

Did the same the other day on a seriously torn up road - not much more than a bridle way. Absolutely loved it too - I was going to ask where I could get another fix in east Lancashire.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would second this, practice standing whenever you can, move around stood up and get used to how it feels, try one handed, no hands - all about finding the balance :thumb

Yup, definitely working on it and I already started organizing to go out again. I'm hooked!

For the lad asking about the warning light... it's just the tyre preassure sensor that's acting up a bit. If I turn the bike on/off it normally clears but I'm pretty sure the battery will have to be replaced at some point.

Cheers,
Rami

If you want to find the byways that you are legally allowed to ride, join your local TRF, find them via google.
They also do occasional guided beginners rides which are great in getting advice and gaining confidence.
I started taking my old GS offroad last year.
I was lucky enough to get a little taster of Walters Arena earlier this month at the Touratech Event and reckon it wod be worth doing the course there.
f4e4f64b1de3c2f80655fb5457f1a0da.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Fair play, I raced enduros for 15 year's + and am more than happy in any conditions, i'd still think twice about taking mine off road. Green lanes and forest fire roads, easy, properly off road probably not.

Best advice I can give, don't look directly in front of you, the bike will follow where you look, relax and flow.

I had a little 'flow' when I saw that water filled rut....and what made it worse was the experienced guy made me stop while he got his camera out, so I had far too much time to worry about it...thankfully made it through though.
And in the interest of fairness, there was a longer far deeper rut before this one that I bottled out on...lol.

I had a little 'flow' when I saw that water filled rut....and what made it worse was the experienced guy made me stop while he got his camera out, so I had far too much time to worry about it...thankfully made it through though.
And in the interest of fairness, there was a longer far deeper rut before this one that I bottled out on...lol.

Be proud of what you have done! Many wouldn't have. Next step... KTM 350 2T if they still make them ;) god I loved 2T enduro bikes

I had a minor tank slapper this afternoon on back lane centreline mud. Trail tyres are good for nothing more than rough tarmac or maybe a gravel road.
All was ok but 1/4 ton of GS takes some heft to keep it sweet when the going gets "interesting"

Thanks for all the kind words lads, much appreciated!

If you want to find the byways that you are legally allowed to ride, join your local TRF, find them via google.
They also do occasional guided beginners rides which are great in getting advice and gaining confidence.
I started taking my old GS offroad last year.
I was lucky enough to get a little taster of Walters Arena earlier this month at the Touratech Event and reckon it wod be worth doing the course there.

I'll certainly do, if you're around the Cork area send me a PM as we're getting together a few lads and going out, it's great craic.

And yeah, went out again on Saturday was wet and muddy, didn't take me long to find the limit of the good old Anakee 3. Great tyres for road, gravel and dirt, but when it gets to mud or even worse wet grass... you'll be on your arse almost guaranteed.

So yeah, day 2 wasn't as graceful but even my mates on full enduro tyres and experienced rider blames the weather conditions. Still had a lot of fun but had to call it early in the day before I either broke the bike or myself.

Looking at Anakee Wilds, K60s or KCT80s now but very weary of loosing my "on road" capabilities which I realistically spend most of my time.

It's all about compromise I guess, but if I want to keep up the offroad I need better tyres for it.

Cheers,
Rami

Drop the bike under that lot and you'll be in trouble with water in the cylinders. This gut really does need a snorkel tube from the air intake.

Was ready for very quick use of the kill switch !
Just prior to this in the deeper longer puddle I bottled out of, a braver novice than me dropped his 16 plate GS !
Kill switch was used, then it was picked up, restarted and ridden out.

Drop the bike under that lot and you'll be in trouble with water in the cylinders. This gut really does need a snorkel tube from the air intake.

I swamped mine last year, hydro locked the engine but not before I hit the starter, heard a thud :-( we dragged the bike out of the water, pulled the plugs, ejected the water and she started but the noise when she did start was horrendous, metal on metal. Carried on like that for 500 odd miles and failed outside my local dealer! I had bent the fly wheel and trashed the starter. Couldn't afford the dealer costs so did the work myself and the clutch while I was at it, thanks to this site

Oh and my tire of choice is TKC80 but I have all used mitas e07 and e10 in the last 12 months

I've just recently been to the level one course at the off road school and I'd definitely say it was worth it.

Yes, at £499 for a two day holiday it is a lot, but to be riding a 17 plate Rallye with just 1200 miles on the clock, and to be able to throw it down the (private) track with impunity was well worth it for me. The bike even had GSAP and heated grips if that does it for you.

With us on the GS, and the instructors on GSAs we got to see firsthand just how capable (in the right hands) and resilient the bikes are.

But it's not for everyone. A couple of people on the course hated the off road thing and vowed never again.

Me, I loved it so much I got home, signed up to the TRF and bought a second set of wheels...so it turned out to be an even more very expensive holiday.

I'm heading back for the GS Trophy at the end of the month. Maybe see some of you there?

Was it as good as it looks ? It's on my bucket list

I'd say so. I'm definitely going to sign up for the level 2 and 3 courses when I can afford it.

But I was also a complete novice and had never ridden off road before. So it could be that I was just easily pleased.

Without knowing how tough the level 3 course is I suspect more experienced riders may feel a bit held back by the less experienced guys as are there are times where you have to wait for an obstacle to be clear before your turn to tackle it. Was never waiting long though.

To put it another way, I talked to a couple of blokes who decided off roading wasn't for them, but no one in my group was dissatisfied with the actual service.

"Who needs a car when you're on an Adventure..."

Back
Top Bottom