Plusnet / Mac help - urgently required.

JH

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Any IT bods help please,

I have switched to plusnet, and although the router is connecting and stable I am unable to get a stable wifi or Ethernet connection with the router. I only have Apple devices. Looking online on the odd moment it comes alive seems to show some sort of conflict.

I have tried split the 2.4 and 5 Gzh things and logged in via the 5gzh. I have tried to cancel the IPv6 or whatever it is, but I have no off button only 'manual'.

But each time I try to access the net it tends to connect really fast but then will drop out. Latency test fail, it just hangs. It is a settings issue as the phone signal booster box works all the time and the broadband light is constant. Checks with plusnet show it is synchronised and stable.

Their technical bods say they have never encountered this, the net says otherwise!

Anyone help me. I have had to group the road and use my pad on a 3G signal to send this.

Thanks in anticipation..

:thumb

Well i would have thought with the problem being related to both wifi and ethernet wireless channels would be moot.

Is there any one you can loan a router off to try. also you can try disconnecting anything else thats on the line phones fax anything that may cause issue.

Well i would have thought with the problem being related to both wifi and ethernet wireless channels would be moot.

Is there any one you can loan a router off to try. also you can try disconnecting anything else thats on the line phones fax anything that may cause issue.

And that :nenau

Have you tried switching the router to modem mode, re-boot, then connect your mac via an ethernet cable directly to the router. That will give you direct connection to the internet, taking the wi fi and router out of the equation. That should prove if its the connection from the router or wi fi related. You will need to switch wi fi off on the mac as well.

It appears that the conflict is between the router and my devices. Looking on Plusnet Community there are a number of threads with similar issues but without a definitive solution, or the issue properly identified. The Plusnet Technical Team, are not so technical TBH.

I have on occasion managed to get into the router and I have split the 2.4 & 5 GHz channels. I have tried different channels 6+12) but I do not have any other properties nearby to interfere with my own signal, and back and forth with the Auto channel facility.

But I can sat next to my daughter on her MacBook, she will be able to access everything all OK and mine is just hanging and hanging. Then it might be that they both work and the next moment they can be intermittent or dropping in and out. But meanwhile other devices are OK as you can hear the push notifications coming through whilst you cannot gain access.

This is why I believe it is a configuration issue between the router and our devices. Plusnet are sending another router but I honestly believe that this will present the same issue. Does anyone have any ideas?

My daughter is studying for her A levels and is very stressed as we cannot rely on the system...

Like I said above try it in modem mode. If that works, and the new router does the same, switch to modem mode and use another router, i have a apple airport extreme as my router and use my virgin hub in modem mode.

oK

Thanks - I have time capsule on my system for backups. Can this be configured to do this ?

:thumb

Just googled Time capsule, it seems it can double up as a wi fi router. To use it as a router, you will need to put your router into modem mode, then connect the time capsule to your router with an ethernet cable. Then log onto the time capsule and use as your wi fi router. But to see if that will work, you need to try and put your router into modem mode, then switch off your wi fi on your mac and connect the mac via an ethernet cable directly to the router. If it works ok, then using the apple as your router will probably work.

Just googled Time capsule, it seems it can double up as a wi fi router. To use it as a router, you will need to put your router into modem mode, then connect the time capsule to your router with an ethernet cable. Then log onto the time capsule and use as your wi fi router. But to see if that will work, you need to try and put your router into modem mode, then switch off your wi fi on your mac and connect the mac via an ethernet cable directly to the router. If it works ok, then using the apple as your router will probably work.

Thanks. I have tried to Google it myself but can never hold the connection long enough to get there. I have managed to get into the router again, all I can see is an option to turn off WiFi broadcasts, nothing specific to switch it into Modem only mode. I have tried to Google this as well but have never quite managed to hold a connection long enough to get an answer ..... Lets hope this post actually goes .........

Thanks. I have tried to Google it myself but can never hold the connection long enough to get there. I have managed to get into the router again, all I can see is an option to turn off WiFi broadcasts, nothing specific to switch it into Modem only mode. I have tried to Google this as well but have never quite managed to hold a connection long enough to get an answer ..... Lets hope this post actually goes .........

Doesn't look like the Hub One can be put in modem mode. Can you plug a laptop directly into the back of the Hub one via ethernet cable?

if you post the specific make of router, I'll see if I can see if it can go into modem mode. Try ringing plus net tech and ask them

if you post the specific make of router, I'll see if I can see if it can go into modem mode. Try ringing plus net tech and ask them

"plusnet hub one router" from what is stated above, Rebadged BT Home Hub 5.

Can you plug a laptop directly into the back of the Hub one via ethernet cable? as asked, are you connecting to the router by ethernet cable or wireless? You should get a stable connection connecting with an ethernet cable and should be able to adjust settings ?

Just googled the router you have, it can't be put into modem mode. Think your best bet is to join the Plusnet forum and ask on there.

Back
Top Bottom