Intermittent backlash ok?

Mark Hooton

Cymarcbikeparts
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Guys, being a newbie to all things 'K' I really don't know if this is right - if it is then all is cushty.

As always I will listen to and be very thankful of folk with far more knowledge about the bike, hence the post.

It's a 2017 K1600GT (and very nice it is too, bit of a heavy beast but a really nice bike :)

I've done over 900 miles and it's had its first service. Although I didn't go over the specified rev limits I did trash it up to and hold those limits (no motorways, lotsa hills, no labouring, no pillion - a policy that's ALWAYS given me a lovely run in no oil drinking engine).

The issue now is that on shutting off the throttle I occasionally get 'backlash'. At risk of being paranoid I thought I'd ask just in case the K never ever has that.........

When it's not doing this on shutting the throttle the engine simply and very smoothly slows down with no noticeable action, noise or impression of backlash.

What think you, Yeomen of the Battle Cruiser?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, they all do it. The early ones were worse - I test rode a 2014 (I have a 2011) and it was better but still has it.

Tom

Much appreciated - just didn't want to do 'full on stupid it's all ok' (as I normally do) and it's not

Much appreciated - just didn't want to do 'full on stupid it's all ok' (as I normally do) and it's not

Don't worry - I do that all the time.

For reassurance - have a search of the K1600 forum loads of posts.

It's a shame - for me it's the only thing they lets the bike down. It's less noticeable in Rain mode - but who wants to ride a K1600 in Rain mode all the time?!

I've found over time I'm getting used to it and tend to ride around it.

Tom

And I'm sure I will! It's an amazing engine for low down turbine-like grunt and don't misunderstand me, I wouldn't bemoan BMW just for the sake of it (as some do) however it's going to take me a while to get used to the weight of it, smashing bike as it is! Thanks for your reassurances and ride safe

Mark, there is a wealth of info on .......... http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/uk-riders/

I ran a 2012 K1600GT SE for a while & still hang around the forum occasionally, even though my current tourer is an FJR.

With a 2017, pretty well all the early adoptor issues have been fixed. I know exactly what you describe, but it only occurs these days if you slam the throttles shut, not if you roll off gently, & seems fairly commonplace with many fly by wire systems as they try to work out the fuelling needs. Just give it time to loosen up & don't let the revs fall too low either - it pulls so easily but it's a temptation best avoided.

The wierd issue of the moment with K16s, seems to be the tendancy for the steering to pull to one side, which has affected several riders over the years, but we thought it had gone away these days. Seems to be a wheel alignment problem but only a few bikes appear to be involved. Shout if yours is affected.

Ride Safe ....................... KEN

Hi Mark. My 2012 GT did the same. Very frustrating in traffic.
I'd hoped that BMW might have had it cured by now as I really liked my GT. Now I'm in my sixties I have to admit that I can just about manage the weight of the GS, never mind pushing around something 100kg heavier.
Had mine for just over the year before changing to the GS and tried a Booster Plug to see if it helped. I THINK it made a difference for a while until the ECU leaned it out again and it went back to normal.
Since I've been using the AF XiED's on the GS I've often wondered what effect they would've had on the GT. After all, BMW are bound to have had the same issues with lean running on the GT. The makers of the AF XiED's list the K1600 as being suitable on their website. I've tried to find a review of anyone using it on a GT but can't see one anywhere.
I know that you supply Rapidsport tuning stuff and was curious if it's possible to fit the 'Easy' module to a GT and would it help?
It's supposed to be an o2 manipulator so maybe it might smooth out that snatchy throttle in the same way as the R1200.
By the way, have you worked out how to switch off the cloaking device on the GT?
When I had mine, no one ever waved back when out on the road. It was like I'd bought a Harley!

Mmmmmm don't know about that one fella, I've done quite a few GS's with the refuelling kits I do but never considered a K! I will have to look into it.

Cloaking device - funny! But yes I don't seem to get that many waves :) ride safe and thanks for your thoughts

Never read about a K1600 having an o2 manipulator fitted, but plenty of stories about them being fitted to the K1200/1300 with big improvements in reducing backlash.
They're supposed to be very snatchy and it's basically, the same engine without the fly by wire throttle.
Thought if you had an Easy unit sitting on the shelf, it could be worth a try.

Yes they do seem 'snatchy' but not all the time - it's something I've never experienced on any other bike (not that it's something that you can't live with) but being new to all things 'K' (including refuelling) it's a steep learning curve. The refuelling kits I use cover a range of several models but I've never fitted one to a K, I don't have one on the shelf and don't know for sure if one of the 6 available settings include the K but I will look into it just to see if I can remove the snatching. As for the pulling to one side mine seems fine so perhaps I'm lucky?

You have now got a powerful but big and heavy bike, on which you are closing or opening the throttle out of sync with the bike. Depending on the gear and / or the speeds and / the the rev's you are riding at, the back is sometimes rapidly catching up with the front and / or the front is sometimes suddenly pulling ('snapping at') the slower moving back.

You'll get used to (better at) riding it generally and the backlash will become much less intrusive.

BMW have cured the 'Pull to the left' phenomena.

Mmmmm not sure if I'm doing anything out of sync but I'll be mindful of your advice, thanks

Have to disagree.
Yes, its a heavy bike. But so is a Rocket 3. Heavier, in fact.
It doesn't do it, so don't think its down to doing anything out of sync.
Having owned one for a year and clocking up 12k miles on it, my opinion is that the fly by wire exaggerates the lean fuelling issues that are forced on to BMW.
Think there may be a bit too much driveline lash and some were worse than others. Believe the later the model, the better.
You will get better as you adapt your riding technique.

Have to disagree..... so don't think its down to doing anything out of sync.

You will get better as you adapt your riding technique.

In other words, getting the rider's technique into sync with the bike.

Sounds like we are in agreement to me.

Why can't we have epicyclic gearboxes on bikes? Having three planet gears there are always two sets of teeth in contact so next to no backlash. More money? Maybe but with no force trying to separate the parallel shafts there are likely to be savings along the way.

Sounds like the same effect as a DCT gearbox, bendy.
Seamless changes in auto or manual. Takes a bit of brain re training to keep the throttle open when changing.
Now, a K1600GT with DCT transmission, that would be awesome.
Bit frightening when out of warranty though!
Unless they bought them from Honda... :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom