IPOD interference

monty425

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've looked through to see if this has been posted before, apologies if I can't find the thread.

I have a 2001 R1150GS and when out yesterday, I tried to listen to some music from my ipod. This wasn't bluetooth, it was the old fashioned earbuds in the ear. Put my helmet on, and was enjoying the tunes as I did my helmet up. Started the engine, and all was still good. Started to roll, and the tunes were getting better until I got to about 40 mph. then there was all sorts of interference; It sounded like a dodgy plug connection, but I know it's not. The volume also fluctuated. If I reduced speed to below 30, the interference stopped, but returned if I speeded up again.

Anyone any ideas please, before I start spending money on bluetooth helmet speakers and the likes.

Thanks in advance

It is an inbuilt anti speeding device from Apple, if you had an mp3 player no problems.

On a semi serious note, try wrapping it in tinfoil and see if that reduces the interference. You can try a different headset as the leads may not be well shield.

You could also check what plugs are fitted, some aren't resistive and can cause radio interference another one could be the fuel pump although normally it stays fairly constant noise wise.

The only thing that is speed related electrically is the abs, is it possible that it is revs related ?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Where is the ipod located ? in your pocket or on the bike ?

Anyone What?!!,

Sorry couldn't resist that.........

The interference could be coming from anywhere. Alternator, ignition leads, etc. Bikes don't have suppression added like some of the flash cars, which have radios and telephones. The police and authority motorcycles that have radios have modified electronics to help with electro magnetic noise suppression, and also to screen the bikes electronics from the powerful radio transmissions.

I suspect that your ear phones are acting like aerials and picking up much of the interference. As has been suggested, if wrapping it in tin foil, and replacing the ear phones hasn't worked, then the only way around it is to hard wire it to the bike, that way the iPod will at least have the same ground potential as the bike. Do you have any other Apple devices like an iPhone. You could try to see if they all behave the same, or that it's just your iPod.

This might sound a bit daft... But does your headset have the flat, wide wires? In that case i think the problem will go away if you try a pair with thin round wires. Actually, the thinner the better.

Sounds like rf interferance getting in the cable from the engine. Try putting a Ferrite Clip (maplin, amazon) on the end of the headphone cable , or wrapping the cable around it, you want a semi tight fit, that connects to the ipod.

Back
Top Bottom