Can't get Zumo 660 to plot a route correctly..

Jumpjim

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm planning a 9 day trip for 10 people running a mixture of Zumos.

I planned the route on Myrouteapp.com which works well. I've exported the route to my Zumo 590 and it works fine with the correct route shown. On trying to export to a mates Zumo 660 the route stick to main roads and the spears off to the via waypoints as per my screenshot below.

This happens whether I export it directly from the website to the device, save and copy GPX 1.0 or GPX 1.1 files to the GPX directory on the Garmin and then import via My data.

I also copied the GPX file into Basecamp and recalculated the route which displays correctly and then sent to device but I still get the same thing.

I'm running out of ideas. Have I missed something obvious?

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 2.jpg
    FullSizeRender 2.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_0939.JPG
    IMG_0939.JPG
    205.8 KB · Views: 187
Usage mode is down as Motorcycle and all avoids are off

As far as I can all settings are the same on every device

Get your mate to follow a track instead. Export the tracks (NOT routes) to his unit and then on his unit, Select ‘Import Data’. Select ‘Off Road Tracks’ - why Garmin choose to call the Off Road tracks is beyond me). Select them one at a time or all and import them. They will all be black lines on the map by default. To change colours, go back to ‘Manage Trip Logs’. Select a track and you have three options: Show on Map,Change Colour and Change Name. I prefer black as it happens. He will not have TBT directions but he will have your intended route.

I take it all back... It's doing the same thing on my 590 now as well.... :(

Not having the TBT directions seems like a massively retrograde step. I'd rather try and sort the issue out TBH. It's worked fine for the last few years when I've used Motogoloco. I'm wondering if the way MyRouteApp (Previously Tyre) encodes the waypoints is causing the problem..

In MyRoute App, SAVE the route as a GPX file (route, track,POI) and then in Basecamp, convert the track into a route and use that in your 590 - you will need to add in waypoints if you leave autorecalc on, as you will only have the Start and End in the coverted file ). Use the track for your mate. (This shouldn't really be necessary but it will work).

Or, try using this instead - always works for me http://motoplaner.de/ It is in German but translates in Chrome.

When distributing routes to others, I only ever give them TRACKS, not ROUTES. This eliminates all these problems.

Quote ( I've exported the route to my Zumo 590 and it works fine with the correct route shown) and now (I take it all back... It's doing the same thing on my 590 now) so what have you changed to go from working to not working.

Quote (I also copied the GPX file into Basecamp and recalculated the route which displays correctly and then sent to device but I still get the same thing. I'm running out of ideas. Have I missed something obvious? ) if you have sent a correct route from basecamp to your unit and it has in some way altered, it will either be down to preference settings or maps being different.

I suggest you create a route in basecamp, any route thats a reasonable length and send it to your nav and see if it alters, if it does it will be because of one of the above reasons.

Stopping plotting routes in non-Garmin software (which clearly does not work fine) would be a great place to start, I guess.

In image one, you seem to have the route displaying correctly. If so, it should be possible to export it into a Garmin device without too many problems.

The straight lines shown in the second image are because the device does not know how to join the known points (the flags) together other than by straight lines. This can be for several reasons, the most likely in this instance being:

1. There is no data (breadcrumbs) between the flags that would help the dumb device make the roads squiggle about to track in with roads on the map. This can be cured by exporting the route file to the GPS device in the correct format / file type.

2. The maps do not match.

3. The device needing to recalute the route, thereby getting it into a format / style that its dumb brain recognises.

4. The device defaulting to a 'best I can do is' setting, of giving you straight lines

5. The device's own internal settings, possibly

6. Something else

Have you tried asking the makers of MyRoute-app.com why you are seeing the problems? They are probably best able to help you quickest.

PS With questions like these it's often easiest if you share the route file with us, to see if we can get it to work and / or better understand why it's not working.

Stopping plotting routes in non-Garmin software (which clearly does not work fine) would be a great place to start, I guess.

In image one, you seem to have the route displaying correctly. If so, it should be possible to export it into a Garmin device without too many problems.

I've exported that route direct from Basecamp and still having the issues...

1. There is no data (breadcrumbs) between the flags that would help the dumb device make the roads squiggle about to track in with roads on the map. This can be cured by exporting the route file to the GPS device in the correct format / file type.

I've tried exporting in GPX 1.0 and GPX 1.1 which is the correct Garmin file type I believe.

2. The maps do not match.

Both devices are running the latest Garmin maps

3. The device needing to recalute the route, thereby getting it into a format / style that its dumb brain recognises.

All waypoints are via waypoints and not shaping waypoints

Have you tried asking the makers of MyRoute-app.com why you are seeing the problems? They are probably best able to help you quickest.

I'm more stressed I can't get it to export from Basecamp into the device now... :(

I suggest you create a route in basecamp, any route thats a reasonable length with a good mixture of roads and send it to your nav and see if it alters, if it does it will be because of one of the above reasons. preference settings or map difference.

Have you tried this yet, if so what was the result, do not use the route thats giving the problem create a fresh one in basecamp, because if it does not alter you know its an issue with the route or format of the route that keeps going wrong.
Failing that post the offending route up.

The mystery thickens.... I've just gone back to Motogoloco. duplicated the route on there and then exported the GPX file and it works perfectly on my 590. This would seem to indicate it's an issue with the way that MyRouteMap encodes GPX files.... It's just confusing that Basecamp interprets it correctly when it recalculates it on the software but when it downloads to the device it reverts to gibberish....

Crap in, crap out..usual rule with computers. Oh well, back to using Motogoloco for me then...

Sussed it...

Although he had installed the latest map version he had installed a partial map upload. It obviously didn't have enough detail on there to route along the roads I had planned.

I've stuck a MicroSD card into it and am busy installing the full Europe map onto the SD card which should resolve the problem.

Thanks for the ideas chaps.... Maps it was although not as obvious as to why as it could have been... What a waste of a morning!!! :(

So pretty much as above a map issue, and nothing to do with basecamp motogoloco or Myrouteapp.com.

glad its sorted

I agree with Wapping, why not just use a Garmin routing system for your Garmin device. I know Basecamp takes a bit of effort but at least everything matches , you are route planning on the same maps as you will use on the device. Remember that when you mark a point on any of these maps it is just a point in space. There is no guarantee that you have actually marked a feature or even a road, it all depends on the accuracy of the map. On Google maps that point might be that layby with a wonderful view but if other maps are not exactly the same the point you have marked might be 5 metres off the road or it might not exist on that map.

Many of these threads mention planning a route in one system and then having to import it into Basecamp to check and correct it. Now I'm no fan of Basecamp but isn't that just extra work. As is well known on here I use Mapsource, plotting a route is as least as easy as any of the other systems being used and I know it will not have any issues due to mapping problems.

I have never seen the point in making things more complicated than they need be so I stick to something that is easy to use and works. Much as I enjoy plotting routes I like riding them better so would rather spend any extra time out on the road.

John

Sussed it...

Although he had installed the latest map version he had installed a partial map upload. It obviously didn't have enough detail on there to route along the roads I had planned.

I've stuck a MicroSD card into it and am busy installing the full Europe map onto the SD card which should resolve the problem.

Thanks for the ideas chaps.... Maps it was although not as obvious as to why as it could have been... What a waste of a morning!!! :(

See post 5
I thought the problem existed on 2 devices? Both with map faults?

To summarise in case anyone has the same issue..

I didn't realise that two devices with the same map version number could have different detail levels. I assumed when it said there was a partial map of Europe installed that it referred to the area and not the detail in the map... My mistake. So it was doing it's best to route along the via points but as it was missing a load of the roads it was never going to end well.

The two devices comment was me trying to send routes through from Basecamp. I think it had corrupted them when they were uploaded to the 660 and couldn't then route correctly.... only a theory..

Anyway thanks for all the help. Much appreciated. :thumb2:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom