GS Tourer Mods

It looks like you have made a professional looking job if that and I'm interested to know how the capacity of your system compares with the BMW options?

Nice piece of work Fred!
I'm interested by the givi screen and how well it works with the bike's adjustment mechanism. Is the screen a bit flimsy or do you have have a support bracket attached?
I had an Airflow screen on a previous bike and it was superbly quiet and calm behind it. Been thinking about adding one to my GS LC and would be interested to hear your experience.

Here is a pic which shows the bracket:

A6K-3047129-5574-X3.jpg

I think the BMW aluminium setup is 114 litres, which my wife can easily fill!

I'm disappointed with the salt damage to the panniers and if there's a next time woul be interested in a "plastic" alternative.

It looks like you have made a professional looking job if that and I'm interested to know how the capacity of your system compares with the BMW options?

Thanks.

The panniers are 36 litre capacity, giving a total of 72 L compared to the standard GS Vario panniers which I believe are a 39 L (left) and 29 L (right) giving a total of 68 L in their fully expanded configuration. I don't know the figures for the GSA luggage.

Having used the Shad SH36 panniers in the past, I know all of the space is very usable with no awkward nooks and crannies, even when using the internal bags, as these fit very well, and make it easy to take luggage into your accommodation without having to remove the panniers. We don't camp, so find an equal sized pannier each of this size is convenient and just about sufficient.

The top box is adjustable to three volumes - 46 L, 52 L, and 58 L - more info here: http://www.shad.es/en/l36/nueva-maleta-expandible

We keep valuables in an easily removable tank bag, and there is space in the top box for lightweight wet weather gear, etc, while hopefully still being able to expand enough to take helmets when parked up.

Combination of GS and RT ... wanna call this the GT? Good work on the exhaust :thumb2

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

SHAD Topbox

Like Fred, I was waiting for the SH59X but as deliveries have now been deferred to Sep at the earliest I decided to take a punt on the SH58X with the titanium cover.
Looking forward to the banter and scorn from the top box hating brigade, but I think it looks pretty good on the GS; not a perfect match with the varios but close enough for me. Very pleased with the build quality and fitting and it is cavernous when expanded; the wife really appreciates the back rest as well.

Attachments

• IMG_1443.jpg
    IMG_1443.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 491
  • IMG_1439.jpg
    IMG_1439.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 488
  • IMG_1440.jpg
    IMG_1440.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 426
Couldn't decide if you wanted an RT, a GS, or a 1997 Yamaha FJ1200? Haha

Hi Xpilot

I´m considering that topcase but I´ve got a couple of doubts you could help me with:

-to store there a fullface helmet upright do you have to expand the box fully or is the 2nd position enough?
-did you buy the gs adaptor kit and does it hold the box well to the bike?
-and finally does it come with the base plate?

thanks

Hi Xpilot

I´m considering that topcase but I´ve got a couple of doubts you could help me with:

-to store there a fullface helmet upright do you have to expand the box fully or is the 2nd position enough?
-did you buy the gs adaptor kit and does it hold the box well to the bike?

-and finally does it come with the base plate?

thanks

Just had a check, and my large size C3 Pro fits in the middle size as long as it's to one side of the case. In fact you could fit 2 in. I bought the GS adapter kit and it's very secure with no movement. The base plate comes with the top box and is easy to fit. You remove the top (4 screws) and then use the included fittings to mount it to the base plate. I could only find 1 position that work for the holes - the rear 2 are secured underneath the adapter plates with nuts and the front 2 screw directly into the adapter plates. I'm really pleased with it and bought it primarily for touring, but in the small size it works well for everyday use.

Interested in the GPS HUD Fred... eBay? If so, which one and how does it deal with the weather?

It was this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112150243135?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I chose this because it is switchable between HUD mode with mirrored display and direct viewing mode with the display readable without reflecting off a screen.

I superglued the two halves of the case together to seal it and superglued a RAM mount with flat rectangular base to the back, and then araldited around the edges of that to make sure it wouldn't come off. The only apertures are in the front for the buttons, plus some little holes which look like they are for a speaker, though I can't say I've noticed it emitting any sounds, so it would have to be pretty wet for this to be a problem, in which case I would just remove it and put it in my tankbag. Pretty cheap, so in any case not the end of the world if it breaks.

Fred

Like Fred, I was waiting for the SH59X but as deliveries have now been deferred to Sep at the earliest I decided to take a punt on the SH58X with the titanium cover.
Looking forward to the banter and scorn from the top box hating brigade, but I think it looks pretty good on the GS; not a perfect match with the varios but close enough for me. Very pleased with the build quality and fitting and it is cavernous when expanded; the wife really appreciates the back rest as well.

That looks really good, and there are so many different shades of grey/silver on the GS, that if the top cover isn't a perfect match to your panniers then I don't think it really matters!

My bike is now all ready for the aluminium sided SH35 panniers which match the SH59X, but they are also unavailable until September. :eh I've looked at alternatives, but like you will get the SH58X top box. I will use it with the SH36 panniers I bought to use for checking clearances with while modding the panniers frames and mounts while I waited for the SH35s. I'm touring Spain in August and will be near Barcelona for a week so may visit the Shad factory which is there, and see if there is any chance of getting the aluminium lid from the SH59X to fit to my SH58X!

Here is a pic of the finished frames and custom made brackets, now all nicely powder coated by CBS Engineering in Long Eaton. I can recommend them, they did a great job and were really helpful, just ask for Keith who does the motorcycle stuff if you contact them. I also fitted some tool tubes, and made them lockable with a hole in the mounting bracket plus a stainless eye on the tube lid to take a padlock.

Fred

A6K-3047129-5681-X2.jpg
A6K-3047129-5680-X2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom