GS Tourer Mods

fred_jb

Reaction score
I'm a GS newbie, and get the impression that most people don't do much modding to these bikes, so I'm not sure if this will be of interest, but I thought I would post some pics of the mods I have done to my new GS to suit my touring requirements. I chose the GS as a touring bike because I found it best met my requirements for a very competent two-up tourer, while also being fun to ride solo. My two previous bikes, Versys 1000 and Triumph Trophy SE, both proved to be a less than ideal compromise in different ways for these two roles.

However, I wasn't keen on the standard adventure style Vario luggage or most of the aftermarket equivalents. The problem is that the high level exhaust compromises the capacity and/or the positioning of panniers, and we also find the large boxes can be a bit obstructive for getting on and off the bike. I therefore looked at alternatives, and having used Shad luggage in the past, I decided to see if I could fit their new SH35 36 litre panniers and the matching expandable SH59X top box - pics here:

http://www.fastbikebits.com/shopimages/products/extras/D0B35100-big.jpg
http://www.fastbikebits.com/shopimages/products/normal/sh59x-med.jpg

The standard Shad GS fitting kit and L shaped pannier mounting frames fit outboard of the exhaust on the right and also quite far out on the left which would have made the bike too wide for filtering, but I know from experience on a previous bike that the Shad mounting system does lend itself reasonably well to modification to fit closer to the bike - so I just needed to find a way of lowering the exhaust to get it out of the way. The problem with the LC range is that the link pipes that connect the end cans to the exhaust system are welded to the end cans, and it is this link pipe that determines the angle of the exhaust. This would have made it difficult to modify the existing exhaust, but this also means that the front part of the system, including the exhaust flap section, looked like it would be similar if not identical for all bikes using the LC boxer engine. To test this, I picked up a very nice chromed RT end can with integral link pipe on eBay for only £57 and also bought the matching heat shield, and found that these fitted perfectly on the GS - just needing an extension to the frame mounted hanger to support it. I might replace this with an aftermarket RT exhaust at some point, but I actually quite like the look of the BMW one.

Due to the new Shad panniers, originally promised in March having been repeatedly delayed, I bought the GS mounting kits and then found a set of ex-demo Shad SH36 panniers to use as a base for modding the Shad GS mounts, as the SH35 uses the same mounts and frames. I will sell the SH36s later. These came with a mounting kit for a Yamaha MT-07, and fortuitously I found this was a much more suitable for the mods I needed than the original GS kit, so I only used the top brackets from the GS kit. I also replaced the GS pillion peg hangers with secondhand GSA ones as the GS ones have a large prong for the Vario boxes which was difficult to work around, and the GSA items have a pannier frame mounting bracket which was ideal for bolting the front of the modified Shad frames to. As well as being a lot closer to the bike, the panniers ended up mounted lower and a bit further forward than with the standard GS mounts.

I also found space to mount two tool tubes inside the pannier frames and will probably use one of these for carrying an emergency 1 litre fuel bottle. The silver brackets used to join the frames to the top bracket and support the tool tubes will go off to be powder coated black next week, so should be less visible then.

With the standard GS mounting kit and the SH36 panniers the overall width when fitted was 115 cms compared with 98 cms for the bars (including hand guards) which was way too wide. With the modified mounts and lowered exhaust I got this down to 101 cms, so only 15 mm wider on each side. The SH35 panniers seem to be more flat sided and a bit slimmer, so I am expecting these to end up being about the same width as the bars which would be ideal. Some pics below.

Fred

A6K-3047129-5655-XL.jpg

A6K-3047129-5646-XL.jpg

Does my bum look big in these? (Note perspective makes them seem much wider than the bars, but they are not.)

A6K-3047129-5662-XL.jpg

A6K-3047129-5659-XL.jpg

A6K-3047129-5654-XL.jpg

A6K-3047129-5661-XL.jpg

That looks just fine.

Didn't Honda make a bike with a flexible joint on the silencer so you could move it down to put luggage on it ? Can't recall what model it was.

I believe my Triumph Sprint let's you lower the exhaust to fit panniers

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

That looks really good

Thanks guys for all the positive comments, I was afraid I might get run out of town by forum natives brandishing metaphorical torches and pitchforks for daring to desecrate my GS in such a way! :bash

To be honest part of the reason for this was to end up with something a bit different, so reassuring to know that you don't think it is too ugly.

Fred

I think your inventive mods work really well. I decided to go for vario panniers and the SH59X top box - hopefully it will be here by the end of the month, if SHAD keep their promises this time.

I want some of them there 007 rocket launcher tubes on the back of mine.

I think your inventive mods work really well. I decided to go for vario panniers and the SH59X top box - hopefully it will be here by the end of the month, if SHAD keep their promises this time.

Thanks. I certainly hope Shad live up to the latest delivery promise as I've got a trip to France planned in June. I should think the SH59X will go well with your Vario panniers and give you a lot more space than the Vario top box. I'm intending to put minimal stuff in mine while travelling and have it set at the smallest size, then expand it to put our two helmets in when parked up.

Nice piece of work Fred!
I'm interested by the givi screen and how well it works with the bike's adjustment mechanism. Is the screen a bit flimsy or do you have have a support bracket attached?
I had an Airflow screen on a previous bike and it was superbly quiet and calm behind it. Been thinking about adding one to my GS LC and would be interested to hear your experience.

Nice piece of work Fred!
I'm interested by the givi screen and how well it works with the bike's adjustment mechanism. Is the screen a bit flimsy or do you have have a support bracket attached?
I had an Airflow screen on a previous bike and it was superbly quiet and calm behind it. Been thinking about adding one to my GS LC and would be interested to hear your experience.
Thanks Andy.

When I decided to add the AirFlow I bought the Givi bracket which is intended for use with Givi's tall screen for the GS. It cost £22.50 from here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121492114502

This works really well and I find can actually be loosened with care while on the move if I want to adjust the screen height, though this is less needed with the AirFlow as that is also independently height adjustable. One oddity was that it was supplied with a spacer, but didn't line up correctly with that fitted so I just left it out. I think the BMW adjuster stiffens up the right side, so I didn't feel that a brace was needed on both sides, and a single one is definitely more convenient.

Edit: I should just add that I don't get any significant flexing or movement even now I have the extra weight of the AirFlow, though I think this is at least partly due to the stiffness of the Slipscreens screen which is a nice solid item.

A bit more about this, including the Slipscreens screen I fitted in place of the BMW original, to use as a base for fitting the AirFlow (as Givi don't do an AirFlow for the GS LC), in this thread: http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/450532-Another-screen-question?p=4677714#post4677714

Fred

Just a small correction - the Shad mounting frames I used were meant for a Yamaha MT-09, not the MT-07 as I stated earlier.

Thanks. I certainly hope Shad live up to the latest delivery promise as I've got a trip to France planned in June. I should think the SH59X will go well with your Vario panniers and give you a lot more space than the Vario top box. I'm intending to put minimal stuff in mine while travelling and have it set at the smallest size, then expand it to put our two helmets in when parked up.
Pretty much my thoughts exactly !

Back
Top Bottom