Servo system - funnel

Slipperyeel

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I flushed the system on my GS (05 with servo) last weekend. Fluid looked almost new, but i don't care. It gets done yearly, regardless.

I do though really want to get one of those funnels that Beemer Boneyard sells, or make one... My little funnel contraptions is always leaking :mad:. I think it takes as long to clean up as it does to flush them!

So my question is, is there a UK/EU source for those over priced funnels or has anyone found a cap of some kind with a matching thread to the servo (because then it would easy to make a Funnel). Alternatively, what do others do to stop the mess?

Cheers

I flushed the system on my GS (05 with servo) last weekend. Fluid looked almost new, but i don't care. It gets done yearly, regardless.

I do though really want to get one of those funnels that Beemer Boneyard sells, or make one... My little funnel contraptions is always leaking :mad:. I think it takes as long to clean up as it does to flush them!

So my question is, is there a UK/EU source for those over priced funnels or has anyone found a cap of some kind with a matching thread to the servo (because then it would easy to make a Funnel). Alternatively, what do others do to stop the mess?

Cheers

What mess, I just take care, Yes you can spill a little fluid if you try to rush things but otherwise very little. I just wash it all down once I have finished and before re fitting the tank.

John

What mess, I just take care, Yes you can spill a little fluid if you try to rush things but otherwise very little. I just wash it all down once I have finished and before re fitting the tank.

John
You wash it down? The servo? Fookin 'ell no way I'm washing all that area.

Or am I underestimating how tolerant all the electrics are in that area?!

I wrapped masking tape around base of funnel until it fitted then took it slow. Worked ok fir me

Improvisation is the key.

I took a small plastic bottle and cut the base off. Fitted an O ring around the neck so it fits nice and tight.

Wrap some paper towel around the top of the reservoir in case of leakage.

Cheap and works for me.

Ian
:thumb2

Wot E says

Mine is a bit of 15mm plastic pipe with the funnel glued on and the lower end seal by a few turns of amalgamating tape

as far as cleaning up you will still need to clean up when doing the control circuit as they used CRAP quality bleed nipples

Just make sure that your Electronics plug seal is smeared with red rubber grease and is correctly snapped home and just flush the ABS Block unit with "some" slightly soapy hot/warm water

"BUT" make sure and flush under it and around it and the garage floor with LOTS and LOTS of water hot or cold doesn't matter

I must try the lemonade bottle that would have the advantage of being able to see the level with out Squinting down the funnel (Like a demented being!)

Self-amalgamating tape round the funnel spout. Cuts a nice thread into the tape and can be used time and time again.

Thanks gents. I like idea of using the self amalgamating tape. Got plenty of that. It's exactly down at that point in getting the leak. I think a clear funnel might be a halfway house before the lemonade bottle :)

Thanks Farkoff, I'm always armed with some warm water when doing the brakes. And you're dead right, those flippin bleed nipples for the control circuit are a pain. Nearly impossible not to need a clean up after. Designed, I reckon, by someone who didn't have to do the servicing!

You only need a funnel if you're the type who's lips move when reading and can't control their saliva.

You only need a funnel if you're the type who's lips move when reading and can't control their saliva.
Steptoe. I believe you're referring to drooling. Something I try not to get caught doing

I bought a spare servo cap, drilled it out and jb welded a funnel into it.
Job done, and dirt cheap!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought a spare servo cap, drilled it out and jb welded a funnel into it.
Job done, and dirt cheap!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This was actually my original thinking. But is that cap available as a spare part?

I think that cap is the key to a reliable, leak free connection and I'm pretty sure that's what the BB item uses. ..

Anyone got a duff servo unit and don't mind parting with a filler cap? :)

Motorworks supplied me a second hand cap no problems for pennies. Drilled the centre out fitted a large syringe sealed with windscreen goo pull plunger out bobs your uncle.

Also bought a second hand one from Motorworks.
Drilled it out and epoxied a small funnel into it. Used it for the last 6 years with no problems!

ps Motorworks were very helpful in explaining the easy way to do the fluid change before I attempted. The main brake circuits are surprisingly easy to do.
The control circuits are a bit more fiddly.

Thanks gents. I think I'll get into M Works next week.

Yes, those control circuits are bit of a pain! All done now, but I'd like to have this funnel on the ready for the next session.

Back
Top Bottom