Replacement Engines

gsman1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Was told today at dealers that BMW are insisting that new crankcases are fitted instead of replacement engines , when replaced for corrosion .

I had a new engine in January, new casings going on in June...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a new engine in January, new casings going on in June...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Whats involved with the casings?? Heard a mate being told yesterday that that is what they are doing now, but dealer has not had to do one yet so apparently didn't know if it was just casings ,transfer everything over or it was a short block?

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

If it is new set of crank and outer cases it is a full engine strip , ie every moving part of the original engine (crank, rods,pistons, oil pump, clutch etc) will be removed and then rebuilt into a new set of casings using new gaskets etc and the original heads.

No doubt BMW will reckon that it will be 7 or 8 hours work.

Personally I would tell them to FRO, your engine will only be as good as the 'technician ' and how clean the build area in the dealers is... then what happens when an errant piece of shit gets left in the 'new' motor and causes problems down the line .............. no doubt it will not be BMW's fault and due to your maintainance or treatment of the bike.

Reject the bike

I'd believe short engines (as I believe some has already posted?), but change the cases and move everything else over? Really?

Replacement alternator on an LC? Engine out and total strip down :blast

Corrosion? New engine cases? Half engines?

WTF is going on at/with BMW :blast

I'll be sticking to my 128,000 mile F800GS, with no corrosion and no issues, or my G650 fully sorted Xcountry thank you ... and spend any spare cash on ferries, hotels, petrol and miles'n smiles :D

:beerjug:

Hind sight is a wonderful thing... I did a 180 mile bumble yesterday on my 2013 TE LC. Had the time of my life, even my pal on a 2013 vfr 800 could not believe how well it went. My bike has had 10 warranty repairs, not in warranty now so will see how I get on. Keeping it for another 10 years as long as no nasty repair bills looming. After that who cares... BMW should as my next bike will be a KTM or Triumph.

Replacement alternator on an LC? Engine out and total strip down :blast

Corrosion? New engine cases? Half engines?

WTF is going on at/with BMW :blast

I'll be sticking to my 128,000 mile F800GS, with no corrosion and no issues, or my G650 fully sorted Xcountry thank you ... and spend any spare cash on ferries, hotels, petrol and miles'n smiles :D

Your F800GS done more than 120,000 miles?

You should have said......

but why are you posting in the 1200GS water-cooled section?

1) Where does it say I can't ...

2) Cos I wouldn't put up with all the shit that is corrosion on your beloved WC's ... while ever you keep buying them BMW will keep supplying them, will keep replacing engines, crankcases, and other stuff . Who the fuck wants 17K's worth of brand new bike stripping down and having the crankcases replaced?

I want to be riding it ... not hanging around a dealers waiting for it ...

:D:D:D:D:D

2) Cos I wouldn't put up with all the shit that is corrosion on your beloved WC's ... while ever you keep buying them BMW will keep supplying them, will keep replacing engines, crankcases, and other stuff . Who the fuck wants 17K's worth of brand new bike stripping down and having the crankcases replaced?

And that is the correct answer

Never like it in the bad, old days eh Mick

And that is the correct answer

Never like it in the bad, old days eh Mick

Ha ha ... what you doing posting in the 1200WC Section JB :D

The /7's never ever any corrosion, frame proper primer zinc dipped before enamelling ;)

OK the later 1100 and 1150's suffered corrosion at the joint between the front cover and the crankcases, but a wipe with waxoil along the joint, when new ... and they never corroded :D

I must admit that being a new owner of a 2017 bike. If I note any paint issues in the future I would have to think long and hard about an 'engine replacement' now. I think I would put up with scabby paint. Well at least until the clutch and gearbox went.........

Corrosion

Well said Mick thats why ive just bought a tenere after 15 years of gss,i belive i met you at rainbow??:blagblah

I just received phone call from dealer saying my final drive casing will be replace and both cylinders due to their corrosion.
I can't reject bike because I own it but I'm worry about work quality as someone suggest on this thread?

What should I do now guys?

You can reject it, makes no difference if you own it, if they accept it though is another matter. Try and do a deal for extended warranty etc.

in my opinion your opinion is as useful as a chocolate fireguard if you don't have a 1200GS WC.

I suppose that you have to find someway of improving on your 15,457 posts.

Back
Top Bottom