Sleeping bags

geezer2005

Reaction score
Im planning to tour France in July, camping all the way.

I wondering what season sleeping bag to take, with the nights being warm, however at altitude, I would imagine the nights can get a bit chilly!

What do you think?

I would take a 3 season with a silk liner and a bivvy bag cover.
That should cover all bases.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I'd go with the suggestion from Kitegod because you can always add a t shirt or similar if it gets chilly.

To be honest the size of your tent and the amount of ventilation you can get through it make just as much difference as a season either way on the sleeping bag so if you've got a tent you can draw plenty of breeze through that keeps you cool at lower levels and smaller tents invariably stay warmer or get roasting hot depending on your outlook :D

Sleeping bag ratings are wank!

Take a warm bag, then you have the option of unzipping it, hanging a leg out the side, or lying on top of it ... nothing worse than a cold night.

thats so true i got a military one the compresses in its own waterproof bag its not the smallest but i wouldn't change it its so warm

Snugpak great sleeping bags and yes get a warm one you can always unzip it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed, I've got a Softy Elite 3 from Snugpak with a comfort rating of -5 & it's been used all Summer in the UK. If I'm hot I have it open but I can guarantee that I'll wake up with it fully zipped!

D

A few years back I spent the night on the shore of Lochindorb (near Grantown) with my dog.
I think I was using a US Army modular sleep system as it was early May.
Very comfy night until about 6am when the sun came out and the dog started panting instantly. Within 5 minutes I couldn't stand the heat and opened the tent door to let the dog out.
Her water bowl was frozen solid and frost on the ground.

As posted above, there aren't many nights when a winter bag won't be zipped up fully at some point! :stupid

I dragged out my old Buffalo pile/pertex jacket when I was going out on my pushbike earlier today and it reminded me that many years ago I used to use one of their modular sleeping bag systems if I was being stupid and sleeping underground when on long caving trips.

Ok, they’re a bit dated now but they really are the dogs danglies when it comes to being able to vary your sleeping bag according to the conditions and shock, horror, they still manufacture them.

http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/products/

Go for a 4S outer and 4S inner then chop and change or combine the two according to conditions and you’ll always have the right bag.

Back
Top Bottom