What's the best way to share route files between friends?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Popell

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Quick (serious) question, I have made several routes for my upcoming trip and tx'd them to my Zumo390, I would like to tx them to my riding buddy's Nav Vl, any idea of best way?

Assuming they are Garmin files, they are just like any other file, so share them in the same way as you'd attach a Word or Excel file to an email.

The best file format is .gpx which is an all but universal gps usuage file sharing format. Or .gdb which is Garmin's own generic version.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS_Exchange_Format

http://dotwhat.net/file/extension/gdb/10132

For very large files or to share routes with several bikermates, host them on something like DropBox. It's how I share / post files on this forum, which has quite a small upload limit.

Alternatively, you can export the file / folder of files to a memory stick.

You dont say what software you used to make up the routes (e.g. Basecamp) . In any event it helps if your mate has the same software on his PC , as said above send the file by Email.
If say you calculated the route on Basecamp, simply EXPORT the route to one of your document files and then attach it to an email.

A couple of watchouts, for best results ensure the settings on your device (and your mates) are the same, e.g. Faster route, no avoidances enabled. Also those settings should match in your software (e.g. Basecamp) that you used to calculate the route. Finally are you both using the most up to date map versions ?. Cover this all off and you shouldnt find any variations in the sat nav instructions between your mate and yourself.

Hope this helps

By coincidence, Leedude and I are just trying out 'Garmin Adventures' in BaseCamp to see if it works reliably. So far it's a bit of a curate's egg, good in parts. Still, early days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom