Spotlight bulb quandary

I have tried a couple of leds in my spots, both types were crap for light output, I went back to his again,
Bought these a few weeks ago to replace mine when one of the starters went up literally in smoke,
Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271830915324
Cheap enough,

You can get H11 LEDs with Phillips emitters. They are very powerful.
But OEM main beam is too weak to be much use when you have the auxiliary heads (spots) switched on. But the headlight dip is pretty crap without the spots.
HID or some decent LEDs in the headlight will be all you need. But main beam is still weak. I fitted a pair of pencil beam spots wired to work with main beam. Night driving is now a joy.
The OEM "spots" are in the spares box.
Too much foreground light is not good on unlit roads. You feel like there's a black wall in front.

Finally found the time to plug the "failed" bulb into the opposite side and it works so it is the ballast. I have looked under the beak and there is a mounting plate with four flat rectangular blocks which I assume are the ballasts. The two on the outside of the plate are smaller than the two in the middle and I assume they are the ones that feed the spotlights.

The question is where do I buy a replacement and how difficult is it to replace them?

All sorted now; new ballast supplied by Les and fitted last weekend - with much cursing due to working in such a cramped space behind the headstock. Got there in the end:beerjug:

I needed the manual dexterity of a gynaecologist with the hands of a five year old:D

Apart from not taking in the bit about allan key for the oil cooler mounts, doh. It is simple to fit the mounting plate which sits for'd of the headstock.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Apart from not taking in the bit about allan key for the oil cooler mounts, doh. It is simple to fit the mounting plate which sits for'd of the headstock.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

It is, but fitting the ballasts is limited (and complicated) by wire lengths. I also put a zip tie on the front of the bracket's L shape to stop it rattling under the beak.

Back
Top Bottom