Single Cam Hexhead differences which is the year to go for

steele01

Reaction score
Hi everyone :) just opening the bike options up a bit got the offer of a few hexheads latley question is I know the twin cam has it plus point but they are out of my price range

seen a few 2006/7 1200's

and a few 08/9's saw a few comments looking back on corrosion etc on the 08 bikes, but obviously this could be down to cleaning etc

Anyone got any opinions year wise any years that had any stand out issues?

And does anyone know what year they dropped the servo brakes

Thanks in advance

September 06 (manufacture date) onwards should have the newer ABS2

Sent from a OnePlusX.

If you can go for the 08 onwards bikes. There were some styling changes but the main updates were (a little) more power, revised gearbox, upgraded ABS plus other optional extras such as computer, traction control and more importantly ESA. Go on condition rather than mileage.

Budget for a rebuild of the rear shock for higher mileage bikes at about £150. Also make sure the recal was done on the rear rota...carried out in the last year.

Cheers

If you can go for the 08 onwards bikes. There were some styling changes but the main updates were (a little) more power, revised gearbox, upgraded ABS plus other optional extras such as computer, traction control and more importantly ESA. Go on condition rather than mileage.

Budget for a rebuild of the rear shock for higher mileage bikes at about £150. Also make sure the recal was done on the rear rota...carried out in the last year.

Cheers

What is the recall for , rota? Thanks.

Hi Steele01,

My first foray into GS ownership was a 2006 1200GSA and it was a great bike.

After a few years I swapped to a 2005 1150GSA SE and it's also a great bike but I prefer it to the 1200.

The 1150 is slower, heavier and possibly not quite as easy to muscle around but it's far superior in terms of build quality, reliability and I prefer the looks.

Finally I think the 1150GSA is a motorcycle icon and just feels a bit more special than the plastic clad later model :augie

Just my opinion and good luck with your hunt :thumb

Morning :D

My first GS was an 05 1150GSA, silver / red sash etc. Lovely bike but just too big for me (had HyperPro suspension making it even taller). Switched to a Hexhead TB - smoother, quicker, lighter. Miss the range of the big tank but not a lot else

Just to mix it up again

I've got a GSA12 09/2007 single cam...owned it since Jan 2010.

Recall (free of charge @ main dealer) work:
> Fuel pump flange
> Rear wheel flange
> Output seal ring
> Front brake line routing

FYI, when the above items were changed on mine, the parts removed were 100% OK.

A common issue is the fuel strip failing.....mine did & showed my tank permanently empty, so I just use/d the odometer (fill up every 300 miles, good as gold).

Power isn't as good as the twin cams, but a remap, de cat headers & shweet end can sorts that out & assists optimum fuel consumption plus, eliminates the mid range flat spot.

I'll be changing the bike next year probably, but I've been very happy with it's performance & the smiles it's given me :D

Corrosion wise....

I stripped the entire rear section (from battery back) 2 years ago and the frame was manky; that was easily dealt with (hammerite smooth x 3 coats) & has remained perfectly fine.
Centre stand was also manky, so removed it & had it powder coated & again, has remained perfect.
Front engine cover was also minging, so had that replaced @ a dealer (so it has a 2 year warranty).

cheers lads :) yet again really ace info :) twin cam's are to far outta my price range tbh even for a normal one.

While I've been waiting for an 1150 to come up that's up to scratch, budgets gone up an it's brought a few hexheads into budget an one of my best mates has one know he has loved his. So gonna consider those two i think seems to be a higher standard of 1200 single cam's about condition wise compared to some of the 1150's that are for sale tricky choice,

When did they add ESA was it 08'? not to fussed about that but just curious

Was there any changes to the final drives during the single cam years?

I have an '08 GSA, owned since 2009. It is garaged but used throughout the year and I've not cleaned every time its been used. As long as you keep the salt off it, corrosion is limited mostly to the odd bolt - on mine anyway. Mine has the full spec - ESA etc and I have upgraded the shocks to Wilburs and its been remapped to work best with Remus headers and Akra rear can. Overall, I'm very pleased with it and no plans to change. The remap completely removed the flat spot and gave it the extra oomph I had been wishing for.

Cheers mate :D appreciate the opinion, good to hear about the flat spot being cleared up so many really cool options GS wise regardless of what it is looking forward to getting back on one

Quick question everyone did the seat heights change between the 2006-08 bikes? Read some contradicting stuff on an american site

Also are they height adjustable like on the liquid cooled bikes or is it a case of swapping the seats

Seat height has two simple settings, higher or lower, simply by moving the supporting bars under the seat.

ESA came in with the 2008 'upgrade' bikes (called MU).

If I were in your shoes I would buy a tidy 2008 onwards single cam MU bike, based on condition rather than mileage.

Weak points are corrosion on some bikes (choose your bike well), final drives can fail as can drive shafts (both rebuildable by Mikeyboy on the forum), shock absorbers will wear and leak around 30,000 miles (rebuildable by MCT, Firefox racing etc), clutches can slip under heavy acceleration.

Home servicing is an absolute doddle, don't be put off by lack of dealer history if the owner is a competent home mechanic.

I found with my GSA I tended to sit on it rather than in it, unlike my previous 2004 GS. I fitted a regular height Sargent seat which is wider under the arse cheeks but a lot lower and narrower in the groin than standard, allowing me to get a foot down more easily with a 29" inseam. Its also a lot firmer which feels odd at first but is actually way more supportive and all-day comfortable when touring. It made my GSA much more manageable and comfortable.

Good luck finding a nice bike, there are plenty to choose from since everyone now wants the WC version.

Picking up on an earlier question regarding the rear rota recal....this is the bit your rear brake disc is bolted to. Cracks have been found around the mounting points hence the recal.

Picking up on an earlier question regarding the rear rota recal....this is the bit your rear brake disc is bolted to. Cracks have been found around the mounting points hence the recal.

BMW called it a "Flange Recall"

Back
Top Bottom