Routes recalculating of their own volition oddity

Yup was set to do not recalculate

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yup was set to do not recalculate

Thank you.

Though if you had no intermediate stopping points, then the device will always recalculate to take you to the end point, routing you according to your preferences. Adding in 'Myroute' app's routes - which I see is some sort of relation to Tyre - might add some complications; I don't know as I don't use it.

That being said, if you had as you say, recalculation turned OFF, then the device should not have recalculated.

Just a thought - the Nav VI has an auto skip waypoint function. I remember seeing it in the menu somewhere. Would unticking this make a difference, forcing it to stick to what you had planned?

Further to what I said above, I have tried a series of tests today with a colleague who is running a Nav V, (I have a VI) both of us with the latest software updates, and we went off route on a number of occasions missing Waypoints and Alerting Via points to see what happened. We both had auto-recalculation set to 'prompt' and 'auto skip wayoint' (only available on the Nav VI) set to 'off'. All other navigation settings were set to 'off' or manual - no avoidances. Fastest route set.

If we went off-route, and said 'no' to the recalculation prompt, it would asume that we would get back on route at the point where we left off, and it would not be happy until we did - assuming that there was a waypoint ot alerting point that we missed or by-passed nearby. Manually skipping that waypoint (which we had already passed) set us back on course again to the destination along the planned route once the route was rejoined.

Just to confirm, both our Navs were set to 'do not recalculate', and it wouldn't when we made a detour. The purple route stayed fixed where it was. If we allowed it to recalculate, it would try to get us back on the planned route again at the nearest point.

When we went back to test the same route, but this time saying 'yes' to the recalculation prompt, at exactly the same point where we strayed off route before, it would try to recalculate us back on route, back through the nearest waypoint that we missed. If there were no waypoints that we missed on the detour, it would take us the fastest route back to the planned route before the next waypoint.

Having 'auto-skip waypoint' ticked would mean that it used a little intelligence (always dangerous with a box of electronics) and just routed us to the nearest next waypoint in front of us to get us back on route.

Basically, I was not seeing any of the problems mentioned above of the Nav recalculating its own merry route to the destination. Everytime, it tried to get us back on track at some stage.

I assume that it must be the settings on the Nav itself that is causing the issue, or else we would have replicated what you are seeing? Mind you, it was a very short route that we tested due to time constraints, so that needs to be borne in mind.

We were testing this as we are off to Spain soon and want to get this right and understand how the Nav behaves when things dont go as planned.

Tatty, many thanks for your help, much appreciated.

I think you may have put me (and Garmin) onto the trail of solving the mystery. There is ineed an 'Auto Skip Waypoints' option on the Nav VI, that is not present on the Nav V or earlier models.

It lives: Home screen > Settings > Navigation > Scroll right down (past Custom avoidances) where it lives beneath 'Safe Mode'.

I do now vaguely remember seeing it but hadn't paid it much attention as I have recalculate set to OFF or Prompted, where my default response is NO. I also very rarely have intermediate waypoints in my routes, so hadn't given it much thought before the trip, thinking - when I first set my preferences weeks ago - that if there were no waypoints, then the device would have noting to skip.

It seems that having this option ticked OVERRIDES a command of 'Do not recalculate'. This is good to know but potentialy annoying at the same time if, as was the case with me:

(1) The roadworks detour off route is BEFORE the waypoint that you need to go through. Having the device decide for you that you do not want to visit it before you get a chance to get there is a touch peeving.

(2) You have specifically requested the device NOT to recalculate.

Understandably there is probably a hierarchy in 'Settings' but I had assumed (wrongly it seems) that a direct instruction not to do a recalculation of a route would trump the others.

I am due to speak to Garmin later in the week, so the timing of your response and logical suggestion is good. Thank you, again.

Richard

did a route today after de ticking the secret tick!,went off route deliberatly the nav asked if i wanted to recalculate i said no,just worked my way back to purple line and route kicked off again as it should.

Just a thought - the Nav VI has an auto skip waypoint function. I remember seeing it in the menu somewhere. Would unticking this make a difference, forcing it to stick to what you had planned?
I've been told about this by bikermate tonight. It seems like a poor solution to have this as well as the auto recalculate.
I'm guessingbthat auto skipping a waypoint will have the same effect as recalculating.

a scenario where auto skip makes sense, regardless of re calculate for traffic etc.

You set a route via a number of way points just so you go in that direction to get to your END destination, 1 mile for way point x the roads are closed for significant roadwork's and you are diverted 10 miles in the right direction for the END destination. Once back to the intended route past the road works, way point x might now be a 20 mile detour back in the wrong direction. Do you really want to take that route or go to your END point ?

To me if the way point matters either set it as END or Garmin would need to let you prioritise way points...

Or just:

1. Don't use the auto-skip function

Or

2. Learn / realise how it works and then use it with confidence, if you want to

I found this VERY frustrating on my last trip. No issue with it wanting to recalculate but why does it have to recalculate the whole route instead of to the next waypoint??!?!?!

I found this VERY frustrating on my last trip. No issue with it wanting to recalculate but why does it have to recalculate the whole route instead of to the next waypoint??!?!?!

Looks like 4.90 has addressed the issue but I have yet to test it

Back
Top Bottom