Tomtom rider 2 not charging via usb

samsgs

Reaction score
My Tomtom rider is not charging via the USB and neither is the unit found when plugged into the laptop. There are no other charging cables in the box. Is it worth me getting a 5v generic round pin charger and seeing if that makes a difference?

Would there be a reason the USB port is not working?

I have tried different cables, reset button and pressing the power button down for 30 secs.

Thanks

Hi,

The charger required is a 5v round one. The one I have has a yellow centre, I don't know if that tells you the size? I used to charge it from a USB wall plug with a lead that came with an old ipaq if I remember correctly. The tom-tom used to come with a suitable charger. Sorry I can't help more.

Steve

Thanks Steve. I think I will have to buy a charger or cable as there is nothing in the box

If it is completely 'fubar' and you have to get a replacement - it will be worth phoning up TomTom and explaining your disappointment in their product given that it seems to be a well documented issue. They should offer you a healthy discount on a new version. :augie

:)

Hi

The USB connection can easily get damaged it is only a dry contact to the circuit board, any pressure in the wrong direction will put a strain on it an eventually it fails This is a common problem across many devices using this design of USB Socket. You say its a TT2 so it is around 10 years old, you have done quite well.

Sometimes with a little luck you can get the port to work again but only by pulling the board out and adding pressure to recontact the pins.

As for a discount from Tomtom I would not hold my breath if you think about it how many new mobile phone have you had it that time? A broken port in such an old device would be fair ware and tear.

Its as new so I will get a charger first. Not an electrical expert but am I looking for something with basically a 2.5mmx 0.7mm pin?

Back
Top Bottom