Autorail from Dusseldorf thoughts?

Shouldn’t you be pointing out to him that traveling from IV30 to civilization is a day before you even get going on your holiday :D

What do you mean 'civilisation'...how rude :D

.....tomorrow myself and Mrs YMFB will decide which route/ mode to use.

It’s the big day. Any idea when this will be? Be sure to let us know what your wife decides you’ll be doing and why, please.

If you go on the Autorail, you can order a continental breakfast, and you get a complimentary 1/4 bottle of cheap fizzy wine. But that's it. There are no facilities on the train to buy more, and it does not stop long enough in a station to nip out.
So recommend you take supplies.

What sort of prices are you guys getting as had a look from Düsseldorf to Innsbruck for September and getting prices back at around €1300 for four of us ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was thinking of going to Moldova, Romania and possibly the Ukraine but couldn't work out a route to fit in with 2 weeks holiday and give me time in the countries. Somebody suggested transport by van to and from Bulgaria and fly. Flight is the same as the ferry so no additional cost there and saving 2 1/2 days travel and fuel each way, hotels and food. Say 3000 miles = 50 gallons = £ 280 plus 2 hotels = £ 80 and food = £ 100 then it costs (excluding ferry) around £ 460 or more to ride down. If a van cost say £ 600 its worth it for the 4 extra days riding, over that its time v cost. two bikes would make it worth while easily.

If you go on the Autorail, you can order a continental breakfast, and you get a complimentary 1/4 bottle of cheap fizzy wine. But that's it. There are no facilities on the train to buy more, and it does not stop long enough in a station to nip out.
So recommend you take supplies.
Cancel this. Just reading up on the new service and they appear to now have a dining car.

OBB Düsseldorf to Innsbruck

Just returned from 12 days in Austria and the Dolomites used OBB service with private berth 2 bikes 820euro return.Service was on time efficient bikes well cared for on the train,gave more time enjoying the twisties.Not the cheapest but with limited holidays from work it seemed fine to us.:thumb

Just returned from 12 days in Austria and the Dolomites used OBB service with private berth 2 bikes 820euro return.Service was on time efficient bikes well cared for on the train,gave more time enjoying the twisties.Not the cheapest but with limited holidays from work it seemed fine to us.:thumb

Nice one, not used it as no need but who knows in the future.

https://www.nightjet.com/en/ausstattung/automotorrad.html

Currently sat in Tuscany enjoying the weather !

The train from Düsseldorf to Innsbruck was great, very comfortable two bed cabin. The only downside is that we learned the previous cancelled service to Verona did in fact run and we could have had a 3 or 4 hour comfortable ride rather than the 6 hour blast mainly along the AutoStrada.

I will produce a blog with more details but in hindsight we should have gone around Brussels not Antwerp and ridden direct from home to Düsseldorf instead of staying nr Dunkirk.

The train moves at a fair pace, both front and backwards, the loadies were inefficient and my bike was restrapped three times and a screen restraint fitted. I noticed this morning there is a screw missing which was probably not tight in the first place a rattled out. I watched a few YouTube clips before going so removed my Kriega dry pack and handlebar bags, many didn’t and were hauled back to remove their soft luggage and one muppet his helmet which was hanging off his handlebars.

I would definitely do it again, probably not with railtravelshop as I now realise they are probably one of several booking companies.

OBB Nightjet
https://www.autoreisezug-planer.de/motorail-services-in-germany
http://www.oebb.at/en/
https://www.railtravelshop.com

[video]https://stevenhyde.smugmug.com/Motorbike/Italy-18/n-q9nTWq/i-WMVZGLK[/video]

i-svXt4Tt

Last edited by a moderator:
Neither of the videos in posts #33 and #34 appear to play. At least not on an iPad.

What do you mean 'civilisation'...how rude :D

This is my main concern too. It's a very long day through English traffic jams to get to the channel before the fun starts. No easy answer from up our way that I've found yet.

This is my main concern too. It's a very long day through English traffic jams to get to the channel before the fun starts. No easy answer from up our way that I've found yet.

It’s the same from the north of England, which is why I use North Sea ferries, but the cost of an overnight ferry crossing + autorail is extortionate. It’s much cheaper to let Euro Bike Trans transport the bike to Pisa to save time and money if Italy is the focus of your tour

I just changed them from private to public, please try again.

The way our small group have look at it, we travel an extra 1000 K’s over 2 nights which gives us the extra time in Croatia Slovenia and Bosnia.
Also you have to factor in the two nights accomadation your not paying !..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom