Ready for my first question yet?

Thinking outside the box.........

The R850gs did have the option of a power reduction kit dropping it to 25kW.

I think the kit was narrower inlet tubes and a coding plug, but I'm not sure whether visually it's obvious. Some of the more experienced 850 users will know.

:nenau

Pink, beige or nothing.

The yellow one shown in my previous post is from an 1150.

Steptoe. Have you ever seen the other colour plugs with their clothes off, so we can see what the actual connections are for the other colours? That would presumably give us all the options - I mean the options for OEM set-up and not a chipped version.

Steptoe. Have you ever seen the other colour plugs with their clothes off, so we can see what the actual connections are for the other colours? That would presumably give us all the options - I mean the options for OEM set-up and not a chipped version.

I blagged this from Roger04Rt..........it might be what you're after.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    182.5 KB · Views: 207
Thank you Ian (I mean thank you Roger, ahem). Exactly what I was thinking.

I was thinking some more (yes, it hurt ).

These other colour plugs are oem,right? Why would they have a selection? For different emission regs in different countries?

So BMW were hiding their 'defeat program' in plain sight?

I was thinking some more (yes, it hurt ).

These other colour plugs are oem,right? Why would they have a selection? For different emission regs in different countries?

So BMW were hiding their 'defeat program' in plain sight?

The Motronic MA2.2 covers a large range of bikes, from the 850 to the 1100, and different models (R,RS,RT,S,GS) have different set ups, gears, inlet tubes, some have cats and some don't. Some have lambda probes and some don't (earlier models had Co2 pots), etc.

My understanding is that the coding plug selects different map sets within the Motronic. And of course there is the option for some countries because of fuel standards.

It's easier to produce one standard motronic for the complete range of bikes, and then have an external switch unit (coding plug) to modify the Motronic to suit the different models.

Well that's how understand it, I'm sure someone will be along in a minute to correct me if I'm wrong.

:thumb2

Weren't all 850 GS's imports?
Only available Germany, France etc

Stand to be corrected of course

:beerjug:

The R850GS alone had the option of 3 different coding plugs available from the manufacturer depending on how the bike was configured. As this extract from the Parts catalogue shows.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    89.7 KB · Views: 201
The Motronic MA2.2 covers a large range of bikes, from the 850 to the 1100, and different models (R,RS,RT,S,GS) have different set ups, gears, inlet tubes, some have cats and some don't. Some have lambda probes and some don't (earlier models had Co2 pots), etc.

My understanding is that the coding plug selects different map sets within the Motronic. And of course there is the option for some countries because of fuel standards.

It's easier to produce one standard motronic for the complete range of bikes, and then have an external switch unit (coding plug) to modify the Motronic to suit the different models.

Well that's how understand it, I'm sure someone will be along in a minute to correct me if I'm wrong.

:thumb2
Thanks Ian. All makes sound sense

Based in your comments and what I've seen, the yellow connector would appear to be for the factory set-up for the UK spec 1150 GS. Meaning the other colours are for different countries or different models? Does that fit your understanding too?

Thanks Ian. All makes sound sense

Based in your comments and what I've seen, the yellow connector would appear to be for the factory set-up for the UK spec 1150 GS. Meaning the other colours are for different countries or different models? Does that fit your understanding too?

I'm not too sure about the R1150GS, never much thought about it, mine came standard without a coding plug, and as the bike is still standard, I haven't needed to mess with it.

However, This is all likely to confuse the hell out of the OP, who has a problem with his R850GS (different beast), so I have quoted stuff specific to his bike.

The R850GS was available from factory in two versions. 52KW standard and the 25Kw lower powered versions.

The top graph is the lower power version, which sort of points to your flat power from 4000 rpm.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    33.2 KB · Views: 148
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    33.2 KB · Views: 190
I need some help. I've been in the garage with the bike...obviously...and have the rocker covers off. It took a while to find OT for tdc and I've spun the thing 4 or 5 times. I've got the right feeler gauges but unless I'm seriously missing something then my clearances are way off. BUT is there anyone in the norfolk area (Thetford to be precise) could come and confirm that I'm either right or thick!
I just about got a 0.05mm feeler in the left exhaust valve clearance. I've done these things many times on my old CX500's and my DR but I don't want to open these gaps if I'm wrong.. I'll post a request for help on the site elsewhere. Cheers in advance

I mean I'll pay for petrol and missed beer sessions:D

Folks. I was asking for help with the clearances because I couldn't understand how they could be so tight. Noddy came to help and agreed that summat weren't reet. They were either done when hot and therefore wrong. Or, not done ...and they were very tight. Not torqued but white knuckle tight. I'd rather not bugger something up.

Folks. I was asking for help with the clearances because I couldn't understand how they could be so tight. Noddy came to help and agreed that summat weren't reet. They were either done when hot and therefore wrong. Or, not done ...and they were very tight. Not torqued but white knuckle tight. I'd rather not bugger something up.

If it seems really out of whack, maybe your flywheel was mounted incorrectly or something so the marks are out? You could use a pencil or something down the spark plug hole and rotate until TDC after the intake closes instead to confirm to get at least a vague idea.

Back
Top Bottom