Anyone thought about inline fuel taps?

Padowan

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm half tempted to get a set of quick connects for my GS so that it's a bit simpler to take off the tank. However I'm also a bit of a cheapskate and I balk at the cost of the metal ones (I would prefer metal ones to plastic as I don't want to add a vulnerability).

So this got me thinking... I don't mind if it's not quite as convenient as a quick connect, but I'd like something simpler than using (and carrying in my toolkit) hose clamps to facilitate a tank removal somewhere remote. So what about fitting metal shut offs into the lines coming from the tank and simply closing those, undoing the clips and accepting that you will get a small dribble of fuel leak out. You can get 2x metal valves for about a fiver, so it's a lot cheaper than the almost a hundred notes you need for proper CPC metal ones. You also have the means to decant fuel into another container, perhaps if you have a stove that runs on petrol.

Any thoughts? Pros, cons? If I accepted the above limitations, would I even need 2, could i just valve off the feed, or would then I get considerably more than a "dribble" of petrol from the return?

Hmm.
i'll watch with interest :thumb2
- not because i have an 850 / 1100 / 1150 ~ but a Guzzi with no effing fuel tap at all :mad: (long story).

:popcorn:

Two M8 bolts inserted into the end of the fuel line as you pull them off - job done for 50 pence .

Cheaper still, just kink the pipes as you pull them off.. cable tiles are cheap....

Ps :::: You fucking cheapskate!!!!:D

Two M8 bolts inserted into the end of the fuel line as you pull them off - job done for 50 pence .
In reality how much fuel would piss out while you stuff the bolts in? Serious question. If the fuelpumps not running, will it only be a hose full, or will it siphon/pour out of the hose until a level is reached with the hose end? Same for the return line, would that draw back more fuel that the hose full?

There's nothing wrong with being a bit cheap, no point using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut, when a convenient rock will suffice!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

get self sealing quick disconnects - like hydraulic connectors - no need for a tap, no dribble either

I use a pair of brake line clamps.
A bit like these
511ut0KBVbL._SX522_.jpg

or these
1.jpg

Or even these
VS033.jpg

Yes I have lots of line clamps, no idea why though.

Adrian

In reality how much fuel would piss out while you stuff the bolts in? Serious question. If the fuelpumps not running, will it only be a hose full, or will it siphon/pour out of the hose until a level is reached with the hose end? Same for the return line, would that draw back more fuel that the hose full?

There's nothing wrong with being a bit cheap, no point using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut, when a convenient rock will suffice!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Feck all fuel will come out as you'll be pulling the fuel line off the solid pipe with a pair of grips which stop the fuel coming out. Use a bolt with a washer for the top hose and a bolt without a washer for the bottom hose, that way you know which way they go back .

I have a small hose clamp, air regulator for a fish tank, and use two cut down M8 bolts for while the tank is off. Also a good idea to mark up corresponding hoses ive used red heat shrink on the regulator pipe matched to red gaffer tape on the fuel pipe.

Back
Top Bottom