R80RT gearbox removal.... HOW?!?!?

Sambo_Raven

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm super new here... and trying to build my R80 into a tracker. Slowly but surely! :bounce1

Just having a real struggle trying to pop the gearbox off so I can then remove the engine and powdercoat the frame etc. I've removed the rear wheel, swingarm, and driveshaft, clutch lever, battery, airbox, and undone the 4 bolts holding the gearbox on. But it won't come off.

It's loose/ish but I can't pull it off. It seems like something in the middle is still holding, maybe clutch spline? I'm super confused because I thought it would just slide off.

Can anyone please help with some advice?

Did you remove the two air box bolts?

Well it's one bolt and one nut, but I always replace with two bolts

What about the clutch pushrod.

It's always just slid of for me, given a tap with a rubber hammer.

Hiya, thanks for the advice!

Airbox bolts are all out. But, pushrod- no didn't take it out. I took out the thruster bearing and the pushrod seems like I can't pull it out at all. Wierd?

Hi guys, I've used a pair of grips to try to slide it out but with no luck. Am I doing the right thing? First time I've done anything on these airhead engines so I'm really not sure!

Here's a pic of my non-budging clutch pushrod

IMG_4780.jpg

Place a jack under the box to ensure there's no weight on the front end of the rod, potentially jamming it in place. It should come out quite easily. When it's out it might be an idea to roll the rod on a sheet of glass to ensure that it's absolutely straight before reinstalment.

Be careful when withdrawing the gearbox, as the neutral switch is situated directly under the gearbox, and can easily be damaged if it drops slightly hitting off the lower engine bolt. DAMHIK.

Ok thanks guys! Much appreciated for the advice. I'll give it another go later after work.

I'm thinking now that it's most likely bent probably from my initial go at removing the gearbox before I pulled the clutch pushrod out!

Ahhhh this is driving me crazy! So I can now move the pushrod a tiny bit, in and out and also rotate it. It feels/sounds spring loaded.

I've put a shed load of force with some grips to pull it out but with no success. And the gearbox is still stuck on the pushrod I think.

If I can't do it, I may have to take it to the garage...... :-(

No gap! If I pull the gearbox back I can make about 1mm gap. Also the gearbox happily can rotate which makes me think it's stuck on the pushrod..

Yes very likely

You just need to break the seal between the Pushrod and the Spring diaphragm

BUT, Take heed! Be careful not to damage the lip at the gearbox output flange or the Clutch arm pivot points

Have you tried Levering with large flat blade screw drivers either side ?? as above be careful as the alloy on these engines is quite soft, so spread the weigh across as much of the surface as you can rather than just a blade width

Once moving it will be easy enough to keep going

No gap! If I pull the gearbox back I can make about 1mm gap. Also the gearbox happily can rotate which makes me think it's stuck on the pushrod..

Jesus H Christ.

Stop trying to pull the pushrod..... Just use a drift and hit the end of the pushrod with a good hard whack using a large hammer. That'll free it.

Wicked I got it out!! Happy days :)

Thank you everyone for the advice. Much appreciated! Now to get the frame powdercoated....

Back
Top Bottom