Troubled gs

strokeofgenius

Reaction score
Hi folks, new to forum which I discovered when googling a problem I'm having with a new to me 1150 gs.Bike is 2001 and has 50k miles on clock.At first the bike felt like it was pinking under load then started to cut out only to restart after a few minutes cooling,the rev counter was very erratic when bike was running.before I found this forum professor Google pointed me in direction of hal effect sensor.I got a used one out of a low milage bike and fitted it and bike started straight up,but alas reverted to type,rev counter dancing all over place and cutting out after a few minutes.Is there anything else I should be looking for or is it possible that 2 different hal sensors could give exact symptoms.Sorry to introduce myself with questions but starting to lose the love for this bike already,cheers
Gene.

Yes started missing ,getting gradually worse then started cutting out completely all the while rev counter jumping around.

I thought I would ask before ordering a new one,the one I tried came out of a 10k bike and looked new and it behaved exactly the same as with original hal senor.

I thought I would ask before ordering a new one,the one I tried came out of a 10k bike and looked new and it behaved exactly the same as with original hal senor.

Some advice. A failed hall sensor looks exactly the same as one that works perfectly.

A quick uplate,new hall sensor fitted and bike is very same,it starts easily and runs lovely for a few minutes or until oil temp guage shows 2 blocks then starts missing with rev counter jumping all over place before cutting out.it then starts right away before same again.I can rule out hall sensor now so it's back to drawing board.

Based on the info- erratic clocks and your symptoms they all point to the sensor.
Anyone local to you who can take their good working one off and let you try it???
Because it still sounds like your hall sensor ??

You sure the clocks are still jumping?

Is your bike parked on the side stand ? When you get two bars on the temp gauge and it cuts out do you leave it on the side stand while it cools down ? I once had a customers bike which did the same, turned out it wasn't temp related but water in the tank. ...... While parked on the side stand the water ran to the other side of the tank, once started and ridden the water equalized in the tank after a couple of minutes ( or the time it took to reach two bars on the temp gauge :D) and the pump started to pick up the water it misfired and cut out - repeat until checked fir water in the tank :D

The bike is always on full stand but am still going to drain tank to rule out what you just told me Steptoe.I initially thought this prob was bad fuel and purposely ran it low before filling tank with fresh juice.Unfortunately the problem got worse going from hesitating/pinking to cutting out.the erratic rev counter I think is what pointed everyone in direction of hall sensor which has to be ruled out as 3 different units gave exact same results plus it's a brand new unit now fitted.

Thanks lads a few more things more things for me to try.where is the ballast box located

There are 2 ballast boxes normally somewhere around the top of the forks, 1 for each of the lights. If you ride with light s on every time try a ride without, it is a process of elimination

Standard lighting as far as I know.i went for spin last night and it acted up after a mile or so,bucking like a Bronco.I turned on and off lights and it made no difference.it just ran worse and worse until finally cutting out.2 minutes to cool and it restarted but running like a pig.i got home by revving the nuts off it but even at that it stopped twice.I am away to Wales for a few days and will have to bring my r1 which is torture but better to have these probs at home than over there.i 'll clean out tank next week although the dancing rev counter tells me electrical.I think I 'll be needing a new battery too as my one seems to be getting weak.thanks for help lads.

I've just spotted that you're in Ireland. What part? If I'm in the area (I drive all over the country), I could stop by for a look at it if you like.

Jus thought I would share this as it may help. Years ago I had my 1100GS serviced at a dealer, a few weeks after I was on my way to a rally when all of a sudden the bike started running rough and it felt like it wanted to po go down the road. Turned out to be a the throttle cable that was not seated properly and the balance was out causing the issue. Is this related to anything you've experienced? I've had the hall sensor replaced and some of the issues experienced was similar. Hope this helps in some way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom