Bike Security - Pragmasis Chain

Warlord you are dead right. But we are moving from man caves to fortresses. Sad reflection on society. Cut off their goolies I say....

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Well, the other option is to have an open house policy. Welcome everyone with Love and abandon all material wealth. As you never really own anything.

Wash your mind of consumerism and seek pleasure from simple things.

Then cut their goolies off.

I blame advertising. Creating an itch people find hard not to scratch.

Then breeds desire, ambition, stress, resentment and for some people criminality.

Its nature to be attractive and to have things to offer your mating partner. If that fails some people use aggression and force. Its part of the law in the animal kingdom. Survival and reproduction at any cost.

Society is just a way to keep control of peoples natural instincts. But it isn't as strong as Advertising Desire and consumerism.

Just because you work hard and are educated, why should you expect other people to play by the rules? Some people can't play that game and win, so they create the other option.. aggression and force (scumbags).

Shame on the advertisers really as 90% of the stuff we dont need anyway.

Shame on the advertisers really as 90% of the stuff we dont need anyway.

Unless of course it's motorbike related.... I find it very easy to convince myself that I need more motorbikes or gear or tools. (Not so easy to convince Mrs M. though).

Look how quick these thieves demolish a disc lock and steering lock on Ducati Panigale. Takes seconds.

It's two minutes into the video, but you may want to watch it all, boils my blood it does.

https://youtu.be/T_R3a6pNg70

Once they're past that disc lock and the wheels are free to turn, they're off !!

Still think my 13mm chain stands a better chance, as they'd have to cut strategically and twice per link, and then repeat front and back wheel. That's 4 cuts through 13mm hardened chain link. it'd take a while and that's if they had a brand new cutting blade.

Look how quick these thieves demolish a disc lock and steering lock on Ducati Panigale. Takes seconds.

It's two minutes into the video, but you may want to watch it all, boils my blood it does.

https://youtu.be/T_R3a6pNg70

Once they're past that disc lock and the wheels are free to turn, they're off !!

Still think my 13mm chain stands a better chance, as they'd have to cut strategically and twice per link, and then repeat front and back wheel. That's 4 cuts through 13mm hardened chain link. it'd take a while and that's if they had a brand new cutting blade.

I agree Warlord and have taken you lead

Expecting a delivery of a 13mm pragmasis chain today... for touring. Coupled with a disk lock on the front.

I agree Warlord and have taken you lead

Expecting a delivery of a 13mm pragmasis chain today... for touring. Coupled with a disk lock on the front.

Good for you. I've been taking mine out if I'm likely to be leaving outside for any length of time.

Me and 4 of my mates, all with GS's went out the other day. Chained two bikes together very easily.

Its arrived and had a play with it.....

Good piece of kit and I like chrome 21 lock.
Overall though very happy. I will certainly sleep easier when travelling.

Its arrived and had a play with it.....

Good piece of kit and I like chrome 21 lock.
Overall though very happy. I will certainly sleep easier when travelling.

Very good :)

As Stupid as stupid does.

I ordered the 250 mm anti pinch pin to use in combo with my torc ground anchor and almax 19mm. I found I couldn't quite fit two links of the 19mm chain as well as the squire lock, so dropped a note late yesterday evening to Pragmasis to ask if I might exchange for the 290mm pin. Steve from Pragmasis responded to my email within minutes, and suggested that I interlink the almax chain (a first 'doh' moment for me).

The next morning I try the solution for size, and it worked fine of course. In the meantime, David from Pragmasis had sent me a Parcelforce ticket for the free return of the 250mm pin.

The problem came when I came to lock the bike up after a ride. No pinch pin in sight. You know what's coming, right?

So, pin left somewhere on a green belt verge, and the perimeter of the alloy marked.

I dropped a note to Pragmasis to say that I'd ordered the 290mm pin and that I wouldn't be returning the missing 250mm! Got a lovely, apologetic but humorous note off Steve!

(I know its best to give people the least room to work on, but the 290mm will allow me to have the chain either side of the pin - at least it will remind me when taking off the chain that there's a pin to remove!)

Anyway, I just wanted to post to say what sterling service all round from the guys from Pragmasis. I have to say, also, that the way they acknowledge and keep you informed of your order is so much more professional that a certain competing company.

Would thoroughly recommend these guys.

Alloy will be sorted when I take the bike in for its first service.

Actually, thats another really good reason to use the 13mm noose chain when mobile.

As it fits through the rear axle it doesn't rely on the anti-pinch pin. So nothing to accidently leave in situ.

The chain and lock have to be removed, no mistakes.

Actually, thats another really good reason to use the 13mm noose chain when mobile.

As it fits through the rear axle it doesn't rely on the anti-pinch pin. So nothing to accidently leave in situ.

The chain and lock have to be removed, no mistakes.

Ouch indeed. Ordinarily I'd weep and beat myself up, but I'm learning to live for the day :) (Glorious 40 mile ride to the dealers today, on the twisties and back roads, on the way to asses the alloy. Tea, sarnie and a copy of Ride magazine, and all's right with the world).

The other solution is to fit a bungy reminder cord, though I think with having the chain either side of the pin then even this Stupid couldn't make the same mistake again :nenau

I plan use an alboy 362 around the caliper frame when out, with a bungy cord welded to it of course.

Ouch indeed. Ordinarily I'd weep and beat myself up, but I'm learning to live for the day :) (Glorious 40 mile ride to the dealers today, on the twisties and back roads, on the way to asses the alloy. Tea, sarnie and a copy of Ride magazine, and all's right with the world).

The other solution is to fit a bungy reminder cord, though I think with having the chain either side of the pin then even this Stupid couldn't make the same mistake again :nenau

I plan use an alboy 362 around the caliper frame when out, with a bungy cord welded to it of course.

I wouldn't beat yourself up, we've all done daft things. It's part of biking.

How else would you get a suitable nick-name in the group.

:D

Hi

sorry i have to put my hands up,i did the same thing left the anti pinch pin in the hub, but luckily my neighbour found it,must have fell off just outside when i pulled away,i won't make same mistake again:blast

Dave:thumb

How are you guys not pulling the pin out straight away? Is it just getting distracted?

I went over to Pragmasis again today to pick up one of their D-Locks.

Mainly for my other bike, but wanted to see if it could be stored on the BMW GSA.

Somewhere easy to get hold of in a hurry and without interfering with the rest of the bike.

Well I found somewhere.... under the BMW top plate, between that and the rear light housing. It fits perfectly.

I just fit a cable tie for the pictures, so you can get an idea of its location when stowed. I'll try and find a waterproof black bag to put it in and maybe velcro straps, or a quick release system of some kind? Suggestions anyone?

Attachments

• D Lock 1.jpg
    D Lock 1.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 653
  • D Lock 2.jpg
    D Lock 2.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 626
  • D Lock 3.jpg
    D Lock 3.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 628
  • D Lock 4.jpg
    D Lock 4.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 624
It's quite a neat location and can be got to quickly without having to open the panniers.

There are probably better places on the bike to secure this for additional security, but I just put it through the front brake disc and spokes like a disc lock for now.

Attachments

• D Lock 5.jpg
    D Lock 5.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 625
  • D Lock 6.jpg
    D Lock 6.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 620
  • D Lock 8.jpg
    D Lock 8.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 631
  • D Lock 9.jpg
    D Lock 9.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 626
It's also heavy... and fairly sizeable in the hand, but manageable :thumb

I think it's about as heavy as a hammer.

16mm Shackle so can't be cut with bolt cutters, and I've had it keyed-alike with my other lock. So only 1 Key needed when I'm out

Attachments

• D Lock 7.jpg
    D Lock 7.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 655

Back
Top Bottom