Clutch rebuild question

Cyclistbruce

Reaction score
Bit of a stupid question p, been slowly rebuilding my GS after the input shaft and clutch splines got shagged. First time I've done something like this! Got the gearbox back on. Haven't put the transmission shaft on yet. I can turn the output shaft by hand in neutral. When it's in first with the clutch in I can't. I thought I'd be able to turn it? Am I going to have to pull the clutch apart before I get any further?!

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Bit of a stupid question p, been slowly rebuilding my GS after the input shaft and clutch splines got shagged. First time I've done something like this! Got the gearbox back on. Haven't put the transmission shaft on yet. I can turn the output shaft by hand in neutral. When it's in first with the clutch in I can't. I thought I'd be able to turn it? Am I going to have to pull the clutch apart before I get any further?!

Silly question, but can you see if the clutch pressure plate is moving when you pull in the clutch lever. It should be visible from the starter motor cut out, or the TDC window on the right hand side.

Try slipping the drive shaft on just enough so that the splines engage. The drive shaft is fatter than the actual output shaft and might give you enough leverage, just in case you have some clutch drag.

Can see pressure plate moving, not much, but I guess enough... Got the drive shaft on now didn't seem to want to move but then I ran out of time, will try again in a few days!

In first gear the ratio between output shaft and input is the opposite I.e. it is gearing up not down when you turn the output shaft. This will make any apparent clutch drag much more likely to stop you turning the shaft. Try putting the bike in top gear and repeat the test.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom