Oh dear - here we go

chipsonfriday

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Local BMW informed. Let's see what head office say.

Only three years old...

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1495224826.437141.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1495224826.437141.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 1,726
I don't think they'll cover against stone chips.

Local BMW informed. Let's see what head office say.

Only three years old...

From the corrosion on the exhausts it could have done with a bit more TLC - FS365 would have kept the exhausts in better shape and probably have held the front cover corrosion at bay too.

+1 as what Nutty says, but if it has bubbled on the joins of the engine cases you may be in with a shout. If they don't agree to replace it, get the panel off and get a decent powdercoating company to sort it and be thankful it is only that area. Many of us on here have had engines replaced.

From the corrosion on the exhausts it could have done with a bit more TLC - FS365 would have kept the exhausts in better shape and probably have held the front cover corrosion at bay too.

Not sure what else I could do. Have only had this bike for 11 months. Regularly cleaned by me. Not used over the winter. Treated with ACF 50 in October - just in case. What more 'TLC' could there be other than keeping the beast locked up in a heated garage. A sad reflection on the build quality in my opinion. My 2006 GS lasted seven years before getting this sort of corrosion and I rode it through some pretty awful weather.

Still love this bike but just a little disappointed with its finish right now.

You or the previous owner, could have fitted a crud catcher :rolleyes:

Problem with the crud catcher is that all the crap gets trapped behind it. Unless the crud catcher is regularly removed and cleaned behind corrosion occurs just not visible!

Why do people not clean or protect their bike regularly, and expect it to be aesthetically perfect? Do people only bathe once per quarter? I read all these posts about people claiming a replacement engine for what is a bit of surface corrosion on a bike not kept as clean as it should, and I really think it's taking the piss. If you don't look after things, don't expect them to last. Just looking at the original photo, it is clear that the entire area has not been well maintained - I note that the header pipes have been allowed to develop surface rust on it FFS.

Why do people not clean or protect their bike regularly, and expect it to be aesthetically perfect? Do people only bathe once per quarter? I read all these posts about people claiming a replacement engine for what is a bit of surface corrosion on a bike not kept as clean as it should, and I really think it's taking the piss. If you don't look after things, don't expect them to last. Just looking at the original photo, it is clear that the entire area has not been well maintained - I note that the header pipes have been allowed to develop surface rust on it FFS.

Correct, a drop of WD40 would not go astray. Look after your machinery.

+1 agreed

Problem with the crud catcher is that all the crap gets trapped behind it. Unless the crud catcher is regularly removed and cleaned behind corrosion occurs just not visible!

I came to same conclusion with the engine mounted one.

So I bought a plastic fender extender. It stops the direct abuse of the lower engine cover, but still allows you to get in and clean it all after each ride.

Use a soft bristled brush with car wash and tap water to get in and clean the bolt recesses gently, use car wax (to polish and scratch removal and keep it shiny), then WD40 or ACF50 just to assist.

Stop using jet washers as the 'soap' phase is probably a detergent stripping any wax, grease or protection off the bike. Followed by high water pressure isn't good for anything else. This'll expedite corrosion.

Standard hosepipe water pressure rinse, Bucket, water, microfibre cloth, rust inhibitor car wash, soft brush for hard to get areas and learn to enjoy the experience of washing it.

If you absolutely must use a pressure washer I'd recommend you dump the soap detergent phase onto the ground or into the drain, dont let it anywhere near your bike. Then just use the water rinse phase to rinse bike of dirt (used no closer than 4-6 feet distance).

But they key part is Hand Wash it afterwards with a Microfibre wash mit or cloth and rust inhibitor car wash protection. Even if you just cloth rinse and damp wash it if facilities are not available.

I've also come to the opinion all GS protective farkles need removing now and then (3 months? Heavy use) and cleaned behind, ACF50 applied then refit.

Just so you dont leave anything festering behind for any length of time.

Just buy a pack of cheap (various sized) cable ties and treat them as disposable for removing and replacing stuff like Mudsling, frame guards etc.

Engine covers need removing and cleaning behind which could be a nuisance, or just accept the fact they'll probably get corrosion behind them.

Totally agree.

All motorcycles will corrode at some point (not just BMWs).
The better you look after them the less they will corrode.

Why do people not clean or protect their bike regularly, and expect it to be aesthetically perfect

Do you clean your car every time you use it and I don't just mean ash the paint work, I mean get it up on a rams and clean the underside and engine bay too?
Because most people are fair weather riders the manufacturers don't bother to protect motorcycles to the level they should and its tough luck to those of us who ride all year round.

My van is 7 years old and has close to 200k miles on it, I use it for work 5 days a week and it gets washed every couple of months and there isn't a spot of rust on it. That is how a bike should be.

Absolutely agree. Bikes are for riding. If I wanted shiney I'd buy a Harley and spend my life polishing it's chrome. Car gets washed every 6 months whether it needs it or not (it does 25,000 miles a year). Bike (GSA) should be the same....

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Agreed.:thumb

I came to same conclusion with the engine mounted one.

So I bought a plastic fender extender. It stops the direct abuse of the lower engine cover, but still allows you to get in and clean it all after each ride.

Use a soft bristled brush with car wash and tap water to get in and clean the bolt recesses gently, use car wax (to polish and scratch removal and keep it shiny), then WD40 or ACF50 just to assist.

Stop using jet washers as the 'soap' phase is probably a detergent stripping any wax, grease or protection off the bike. Followed by high water pressure isn't good for anything else. This'll expedite corrosion.

Standard hosepipe water pressure rinse, Bucket, water, microfibre cloth, rust inhibitor car wash, soft brush for hard to get areas and learn to enjoy the experience of washing it.

If you absolutely must use a pressure washer I'd recommend you dump the soap detergent phase onto the ground or into the drain, dont let it anywhere near your bike. Then just use the water rinse phase to rinse bike of dirt (used no closer than 4-6 feet distance).

But they key part is Hand Wash it afterwards with a Microfibre wash mit or cloth and rust inhibitor car wash protection. Even if you just cloth rinse and damp wash it if facilities are not available.

I use a ph neutral snow foam with my jet wash, and have been doing for a while, with no problems at all. As long as you're sensible and don't hold it up close to anything, it's fine.

I've got the new Altrider crud catcher on the front of the engine, which has quick release poppers, so you just pull it off for cleaning, then pop it back on, without having to use any tools. Great bit of kit.

Utter Bollocks unless you are storing lumps of salt between catcher and cover?

Back
Top Bottom